U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,289 posts, read 17,026,488 times
Reputation: 11739

Advertisements

I wish there were a way to do matching polls but we can't so I'll ask the questions in a thread. Please answer who you think is responsible for the following WRT education of children: Teachers, the school, parents, the government or the child.

Preparing kids for entry into kindergarten:
Nurturing a respect for those in authority:
Instilling a love of learning:
Making sure kids are well rested for school:
Making sure kids are fed breakfast:
Making sure kids are fed lunch:
Kids doing their homework:
Additional support a particular child may need to learn the material:
Remediating children who are falling behind:
Making sure children are taught what they are supposed to be taught:
Making sure children learn what they are supposed to learn:
Making sure children receive special services they may need:
Making sure children pass the high stakes tests:
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 PM
 
330 posts, read 274,365 times
Reputation: 375
At the end of the day, the PARENTS are the ones responsible.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,289 posts, read 17,026,488 times
Reputation: 11739
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
At the end of the day, the PARENTS are the ones responsible.
I would agree but, as a teacher, I'd get beat up for saying that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 06:33 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 7,318,101 times
Reputation: 4376
In light of the compulsory nature of our nation's educational system and its reliance on standardized test scores, I think the issue is more complex than it might appear at first glance.

It is most certainly in my child's best interest that I provide remediation if he struggles with foundational skills, but let's remember that he is not the only one who benefits when we shell out for tutoring given the way teachers are evaluated and schools are funded.

Our roles are not nearly so clear-cut as this thread implies.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
22,289 posts, read 17,026,488 times
Reputation: 11739
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
In light of the compulsory nature of our nation's educational system and its reliance on standardized test scores, I think the issue is more complex than it might appear at first glance.

It is most certainly in my child's best interest that I provide remediation if he struggles with foundational skills, but let's remember that he is not the only one who benefits when we shell out for tutoring given the way teachers are evaluated and schools are funded.

Our roles are not nearly so clear-cut as this thread implies.
I agree. We need to tie test scores to something that benefits the child or their family. One, serious, issue is that the children taking the tests and their families have no vested interest in the tests that are being used to judge the schools. That's like you taking a test on my behalf where I get the grade and you don't. Just how hard are you going to work?

Personally, I think if we're going to judge schools on test scores, those same test scores should be used to determine whether or not a child passes or fails. For starters, if we quit passing kids who don't have the basic skills to go on, scores will go up. I also think that students who are retained should receive remediation either at home or in school. Simply repeating what led to failure again will just lead to failure again. Not the next year because that material is being repeated but research supports that within 2-3 years after a retention without remediation the student is right back to struggling.

I would also like to see multiple attemts at the tests allowed. A child who doesn't pass the test in March should be able to take it again in June and if they pass they should pass the grade.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 1,472,215 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. We need to tie test scores to something that benefits the child or their family. One, serious, issue is that the children taking the tests and their families have no vested interest in the tests that are being used to judge the schools. That's like you taking a test on my behalf where I get the grade and you don't. Just how hard are you going to work?

Personally, I think if we're going to judge schools on test scores, those same test scores should be used to determine whether or not a child passes or fails. For starters, if we quit passing kids who don't have the basic skills to go on, scores will go up. I also think that students who are retained should receive remediation either at home or in school. Simply repeating what led to failure again will just lead to failure again. Not the next year because that material is being repeated but research supports that within 2-3 years after a retention without remediation the student is right back to struggling.

I would also like to see multiple attemts at the tests allowed. A child who doesn't pass the test in March should be able to take it again in June and if they pass they should pass the grade.
Our students can retake their tests four times a year every year until they pass them. The tests are untimed and the students receive remediation during and after school. Even after they leave school without receiving their diploma, students may attend our remediation sessions for no charge. Few do so, and only a few more come to retest to try to earn the diploma. Most of those who fail just move on in their lives. Some get their GED, others go to vocational school, and a few just slide into the easy underworld that is the predominant subculture.

The downside for the school is that those who do not pass are counted in our testing group every year, even if they never return. How fair is that?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 PM
 
465 posts, read 409,157 times
Reputation: 437
I always thought of it this way on who is responsible: it's both the parents and teacher.

You have the child, parent, and teacher. You make a triangle and place the parent on one leg, the teacher on the other leg, while placing the child at the top because the child is the one that needs the education, pass the grade level, to make sure he/she does well, etc. etc. However, in order for the child to succeed, both parent(s) and teacher need to make sure they are working together to ensure the child (who is on top of the triangle) gets the knowledge to move onto the next grade. Without the parent or the teacher to help, then you can't have a healthy balance and the triangle model becomes nothing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 PM
 
1,249 posts, read 1,076,862 times
Reputation: 1209
The student needs to be responsible as well for doing the best to his or her abilities given the circumstances. Ever hear the proverb of leading a horse to water?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 AM
 
465 posts, read 409,157 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
The student needs to be responsible as well for doing the best to his or her abilities given the circumstances. Ever hear the proverb of leading a horse to water?
Yeah, but in order for the child to be responsible, the parents have to place that thinking in the child's mind and stay on top of them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 02:16 AM
 
21,137 posts, read 16,734,541 times
Reputation: 9875
I would like to give teachers to the responsibility to identify parents that aren't doing their job to the school... and have the school attempt to train parents on how to do their job. I think many parents just don't understand their responsibility.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top