U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,748,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Its the way they teach it nowdays. Instead of simply teaching history, they want to get "creative" with it. For example, in my dd history class, they learned all about "significant documents" and lumped in the Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, US constitution, strung them together in such a way she had no idea what happened when!

Ok, she got a 99% in history, pretty good, eh? then, just yesterday, she asked was the Civil War between North and South China? Or was that North and South Vietnam? she's lost as a goose, yet according to the school system, an honor student, very "proficient" in history!
That sounds like a very reasonable way to teach it, given that the Constitution owes a great deal to the Magna Carta. (and the Declaration of Independence can't really be studied without also looking at the constitution.) History doesn't exist in a void; the Constitution didn't just spring from out of thin air. Sounds like there was a problem with the connections, but the concept itself is valid, given that there are clear connections that can be drawn between all of the documents listed. You don't say how old she is, but if still in elementary school it could just be that they haven't learned about the Civil War yet; if in junior high or high school, then obviously something major was missed along the way. I wouldn't blame it on "creative" teaching, however. (and I also think that family involvement is essential -- parents should be introducing their kids to history, too, and bringing them to historic sites, etc. The fact that you and your daughter are discussing the Civil War -- even if she has a lot of ground to cover -- is a positive thing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Its the way they teach it nowdays. Instead of simply teaching history, they want to get "creative" with it. For example, in my dd history class, they learned all about "significant documents" and lumped in the Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, US constitution, strung them together in such a way she had no idea what happened when!

Ok, she got a 99% in history, pretty good, eh? then, just yesterday, she asked was the Civil War between North and South China? Or was that North and South Vietnam? she's lost as a goose, yet according to the school system, an honor student, very "proficient" in history!
Did she study the Civil War in that history class?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,119,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I've generally been impressed with the social studies curriculum at my kids' public schools, but I think it's challenging to create a program that engages an increasingly diverse student body. As I stated before, there are certain periods of history that I enjoy studying and recall easily (i.e., Colonial times), but I wouldn't consider another person uneducated because they can't explain the significance of King Phillip's War or remember who was involved.

What I do find discouraging is evidence that high school graduates are receiving an inadequate civics education. I think knowing how our government is organized and how it functions, along with what comprises our nation's founding documents and how and why they have been amended over time is essential for productive citizenship regardless of an individual's ultimate vocation.

BTW, jimh, my seventh grader was able to describe the difference between direct and representative democracy, and she was also able to give examples of each, so maybe our public schools aren't doing that badly after all.

You should be pleased, but unfortunately, I am afraid your child is the exception and not the rule. Having raised 2 kids myself and having monitored their homework, I am familiar with the methods used to teach public school and for the most part they are a complete failure.

History is nothing more than a story, and should be taught as such. People love stories.
The rote memorization of dates and names often without being in the proper context of their real relevance bore kids into a coma.
But then….. that is exactly what it is designed to do.
The fact is that everything that has happened in history is relevant to what is happening today, but schools do a notoriously poor job of teaching that.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 AM

3,088 posts, read 6,627,609 times
The original poster has the gall to blame this on teachers?

What planet are you living on?

You are not a teacher and have no clue what it's like to be a history teacher. I can speak eloquently on the subject because I taught history for 9 years in an inner-city HS before moving up to the University level.

I was not allowed to speak about American icons like Neil Armstrong, Charles Lindbergh or even Benjamin Franklin because two of them were "dead white guys" and my principal believed that Neil Armstrong was "never on the moon, that was a hoax." Deal with that.

So before you run your mouth and idiotically blame teachers for the ignorance of present-day students, try spending one hour in the classroom as a history teacher.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
[/b]

You should be pleased, but unfortunately, I am afraid your child is the exception and not the rule. Having raised 2 kids myself and having monitored their homework, I am familiar with the methods used to teach public school and for the most part they are a complete failure.

History is nothing more than a story, and should be taught as such. People love stories.
The rote memorization of dates and names often without being in the proper context of their real relevance bore kids into a coma.
But then….. that is exactly what it is designed to do.
The fact is that everything that has happened in history is relevant to what is happening today, but schools do a notoriously poor job of teaching that.
That's about the way I was taught history back in the 50s and 60s, the "good old days".

Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,119,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post

You are not a teacher and have no clue what it's like to be a history teacher. I can speak eloquently on the subject because I taught history for 9 years in an inner-city HS before moving up to the University level.

I was not allowed to speak about American icons like Neil Armstrong, Charles Lindbergh or even Benjamin Franklin because two of them were "dead white guys" and my principal believed that Neil Armstrong was "never on the moon, that was a hoax." Deal with that.

So before you run your mouth and idiotically blame teachers for the ignorance of present-day students, try spending one hour in the classroom as a history teacher.
I am living on this planet, the same one in which as you admit, teachers are collaborators in a dishonest and biased system. While the teacher may not agree with the administrators who set the curriculum, they still teach it. That means they are just a guilty as the people who set the agenda.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,748,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post

This must vary by state. The states I've worked in (not as a teacher, but in an affiliated field) there have been history standards to be covered.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,833,124 times
Anybody dumb enough to believe in the moon landing conspiracy does not belong in the education field.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 AM

12,454 posts, read 27,069,551 times
I think my kids got a much better education in history then I ever did. Our school district requires history to be taught 5 days a week, K-12. Four years of history is a graduation requirement in HS and right now there are three AP history classes available - US, Government and European. They intend to add World History next fall. My only complaint is one that another poster mentioned - not enough mid-eastern history. I think our kids did 8 years of American history and then 4 years on the rest of the world.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 AM

7,323 posts, read 8,981,942 times
Quote:

I'm speechless..

Well, THAT, or your daughter thinks in a more-worldly fashion; it would never occur to me to think of the Civil War in the context of China..

She might be a little "lost", but you can never accuse her of not thinking "outside the box"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or