U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:59 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,749,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Must have a degree in something real before you can apply for a teaching degree.

Or, real world experience demonstrating actual accomplishment.
At my college, teaching was a dual degree.
You got a teaching degree AND one in another subject matter, at the same time.

And what on earth is meant by "something real"?
The idea that education is not "something real" is a big part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Never happen unless we clean up our education system from 1st grade through college/university. What is taught today is a combination of too little too late (I was better educated at the 8th grade than most college grads today) plus all the crap that doesn't belong in the educational system has to be eliminated...such as politics, bad English, personal agendas, 1st graders singing praises to "Barak Obama" which is politics, and so much more plain old crap that belongs being addressed in the home...not school! Education should be limited to basics in the younger grades; i.e., arithmetic/math, sciences and health, English, other languages, biology, history (both world and U.S.), memorize our Constitution, etc., etc. up through 12th grades. Get rid of cell phones in school and get rid of computers to perhaps the last couple of high school grades. Otherwise, the learning of how to use the brain is diminished exponentially...

Until the actual education system is scrapped and then correctly re-instituted to actually educate, there is no way to produce highly qualified teachers for the most part. The other problem is that most of the teachers that actually knew what to teach, how to teach and what not to address are either in their 80's + or have died!
Could not agree more.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,445,619 times
Teaching degrees are so freaking easy that they are useless now. No one will hire a former teacher because teaching degrees don't give you any skills. Plus, it is so easy to get one that the field is severely oversaturated. You can easily graduate with a 2.3 GPA with an elementary education degree. That is a terribly low GPA.

I propose:

Teachers need to be in the classroom on the first day they decide to be an education major. Enough of the anthropology classes already. Put the teacher in the classroom on DAY 1.

Prospective teachers need to be required to complete X of hours subbing or volunteering in a public school.

Enough with the methods courses. Make prospective teachers plan actual lesson plans the way they do them in a real school. Then, make them teach these lessons to real children and not college classmates.

A classroom management course should be mandatory in all colleges. This class should include a practicuum with real students in an inner city school. This is where most ed. grads will find a job, if they are lucky enough to find one that is. Show them what inner city kids are like and prepare the teachers so inner city kids can have prepared teachers. Too many inner city kids are stuck with the teacher who completed a six week course because they couldn't find another career.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Teaching degrees are so freaking easy that they are useless now. No one will hire a former teacher because teaching degrees don't give you any skills.
Ludicrous. Where did you get this "information"?

Quote:
This class should include a practicuum with real students in an inner city school. This is where most ed. grads will find a job, if they are lucky enough to find one that is.
Since most school are not in inner city schools, this is incorrect.

Quote:
Prospective teachers need to be required to complete X of hours subbing or volunteering in a public school.

Sounds good and logical to me.

Quote:
A classroom management course should be mandatory in all colleges
I could not agree more.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,113,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If your state is on the bottom half of the list, you should be asking some questions.

Student's Chances of Success [based on education]
i saw they had a lot of rankings..
"Overall state grade"
"Chances of Success"
"K-12 achievement"
"Standards, assessments, and accountability"
"Transitions and alignment"
"Teaching professions"
"School Finance"

how do they define "chances of success" ? I clinked the link to tell me more but they said I needed a subscription. why is this one more important than the others? i ask because South Carolina and New Jersey both scored a B- in the overall ranking.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,749,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not just teaching degrees. Do you know how many people graduate college with low GPAs below 3.0? They should just require all students to maintain a GPA of 3.5 in order to graduate. Further, professors should make sure the students know the material and not just play curve games.

Regarding teachers, I feel that they should all have masters degrees. And all professors should have PHDs.
Why do you think that you must maintain a GPA of 3.5 in order to graduate college? That's just silly. Life is a bell curve.

Yeah, all teachers making less than $35k should have masters.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,935,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
At my college, teaching was a dual degree.
You got a teaching degree AND one in another subject matter, at the same time.

And what on earth is meant by "something real"?
The idea that education is not "something real" is a big part of the problem.
Most teachers I had didn't know the material.

They only knew how to teach. (not really)

Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM

9,897 posts, read 6,826,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
One might question the necessity of a 4-year college degree to teach first grade. It seems to me that a 4-year degree is a bit of overkill - I dated a girl who was getting an elementary education degree. Her homework involved coloring. It always seemed to me that a vocational school would be adequate; being a good elementary school teacher seems to be more about interpersonal skills than book learning anyways.

It makes me wonder if unions push for higher credentials to drive the wages up and limit competition in the workforce.
Many parents without 4 year degrees home school and have successfully taught their children in the elementary grades, because that is not what is needed to teach basic math or English/language arts.

I would say children in elementary grades need that
"Mary Poppins" type of person or the "Science Guy" type.
Problem is - there aren't enough people like that to go around.

It may be unions, but teachers themselves, push to get a masters to teach elementary grades, to get on a higher pay scale - no doubt abut it. Really, you can't blame them - if that's what is available to them.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,297,392 times
I think it is ethics and leadership is what they need to emphasize. But so many people are duplicitous actors and actresses who can pass anything.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
But so many people are duplicitous actors and actresses who can pass anything.
As evident from those occupying the White House and Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or