U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,461,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
If you spent a few minutes re-teaching it to them? I'd bet most could.

Hey I couldn't diagram a sentence right now. Is that because I'm stupid?

No, its because I learned how to do it 25-30 years ago and NEVER had to do it again once I left High School.

I know your specific point is to somehow highlight how dumb most teachers are, but you'll need a better example as proof...
Teachers spend four years learning how to follow instructions.

Then, that's all they teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:06 PM

6,550 posts, read 12,606,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Teachers spend four years learning how to follow instructions.

Then, that's all they teach.
Is that your first-hand experience?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Is that your first-hand experience?
I had a lot of that, yeah.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 PM

6,550 posts, read 12,606,614 times
Quote:
I had a lot of that, yeah.
Where did you teach? Where did you get your education to become a teacher?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Where did you teach? Where did you get your education to become a teacher?
You misunderstand.

I was the teachee, not the teachor.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,696,319 times
Quote:
You misunderstand.

I was the teachee, not the teachor.
Priceless!!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:04 AM

786 posts, read 527,693 times
As some other people have mentioned, there's a disconnect between the idea of making it harder for people to become teachers with what's going on in many states in limiting teacher pay, benefits etc. You cannot compare schooling to become a teacher to a doctor. Sure you may want it as rigorous but a doctor comes out and will make $200K+. A teacher will be making $50K. Couple that with states taking away negotiating rights, health benefits, retirements, etc, it just doesn't make sense. I understand the sentiment of wanting to make sure great teachers end up in the classroom but you have to be ready to reward the people that make it their calling in life.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM

"The teachers that then go ahead and put it to use in the classroom, generally, have no idea of the true nature of the material they are teaching and merely superficially study the material themselves before passing it on to the unsuspecting populace."

Activist Post: Agenda 21 Indoctrination Going Global at Warp Speed

Old 06-26-2011, 11:47 AM

1,609 posts, read 874,942 times
Quote:
If you spent a few minutes re-teaching it to them? I'd bet most could.

Hey I couldn't diagram a sentence right now. Is that because I'm stupid?

No, its because I learned how to do it 25-30 years ago and NEVER had to do it again once I left High School.

I know your specific point is to somehow highlight how dumb most teachers are, but you'll need a better example as proof...
Well, shame on you (or your teachers back then) for not "using" (or teaching the use and importance of) the process of diagramming a sentence when "speaking"...diagramming is the way one learns to use proper English for the most part. If you cannot diagram the words/phrases in the sentence then you are not using correct sentence structure. I learned to diagram sentences starting when I was in the 4th grade. I have since tried to use the diagramming as a "test" when making sure my written sentences were correctly structured throughout all my school years right up to present time. After all these years since learning correct English (over 65 years) the correct use of words in phrases, modification, etc., are ingrained. For instance, when I read any sentence that ends with a preposition I cringe. When I see any sentence using "if it was" I cringe! Once one learns correct English it becomes automatic habit.

There was once a time when TV actually used correct English...no more...I am forever correcting the language used by TV personnel and am constantly shocked by the ignorance shown. For instance, the word "data" is pronounced with the first "a" as long...not short! One of the easiest rules in correctly pronouncing words in the English language is that it takes a double consonant to break the "long" sound of a "vowel" to the short sound. Those exceptions simply have to be learned, but off hand I cannot think of one. Example: later, latter

Old 06-26-2011, 12:56 PM

33,299 posts, read 14,535,567 times
Quote:
"The teachers that then go ahead and put it to use in the classroom, generally, have no idea of the true nature of the material they are teaching and merely superficially study the material themselves before passing it on to the unsuspecting populace."

Activist Post: Agenda 21 Indoctrination Going Global at Warp Speed
I had a sociology teacher like that. She came right out of college with no experience except school. I know, I asked her. She was "teaching" out of a book written by another who had no experience in the field. He had spent his entire life in academia. All theory.

I was working in the slums of Wash, DC at the time and continually challenging her on what she was preaching. She lost the debates s every time. She didn't have a clue about what she was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or