U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,975 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Reputation: 31386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Oh, there are 500? I stopped reading after 50! The skewed thing about AP tests is that there are many reasons that students don't take them and they should not do so if the main reason is to improve a HIGH Schools ranking. 1) Many colleges don't take less then a 4 or a 5 score 2) Students majoring in STEM subjects often go to colleges that want them to take the first level class at the college, not opt out of it with an AP score 3) Many colleges, notably some of the California schools, only take so many AP classes. My son took 5 AP classes but will only be submitting scores for two of them for some of the reasons listed above.
Yes, AP courses are over-rated, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My school generates almost entirely stem majors in college. I would still advise your son (assuming he got a 4 or 5) to submit his AP scores. All of our students do even when applying to schools that do not take them. Even if they cannot get credit it still shows how capable they are of college level work.

I suspect that is why number of AP courses per student are used as a measure of how well high schools are educating students for college. My school also misses the top of the list due to our lack of AP courses (there are no AP tests for marine sciences) but I don't think means the methodology is inherently flawed. The schools at the top of the list are undoubtedly the best schools in the country.
People can cook up whatever methodolgy they want and generate a list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
 
12,454 posts, read 27,074,960 times
Reputation: 6946
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My school generates almost entirely stem majors in college. I would still advise your son (assuming he got a 4 or 5) to submit his AP scores. All of our students do even when applying to schools that do not take them. Even if they cannot get credit it still shows how capable they are of college level work.

I suspect that is why number of AP courses per student are used as a measure of how well high schools are educating students for college. My school also misses the top of the list due to our lack of AP courses (there are no AP tests for marine sciences) but I don't think means the methodology is inherently flawed. The schools at the top of the list are undoubtedly the best schools in the country.
He's submitting two but didn't take the English one and won't submit Computer Science because his college won't take it. However, he had a dual credit class and a college class that he took at a local college so will still have about a semesters worth of college credit to start. He was not asked his AP scores on any college application and he applied to more then a dozen. Colleges only ask for your scores once you've been accepted.

Did any of you see the movie, "Race to Nowhere"? One of the main themes is how students are over-stressed to score high on tests at whatever cost. I think the goal of parents, teachers and schools should be to teach comprehension not to tally up the number of tests taken.
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,249,926 times
Reputation: 4872
The list is complete BS. I've taught at one of the Top 10 schools and was not impressed; in fact, quite the opposite. I would also take issue with the "College Bound" category as I know that the only universities to which many of my former students were bound was a local community college.

I would LOVE to see how this list stacks up to national private and parochial schools. I know it really isn't fair to do a comparison but the sad fact is that, even at the best public schools, those students are not being prepared for leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 AM
 
15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Reputation: 19641
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The list is complete BS. I've taught at one of the Top 10 schools and was not impressed; in fact, quite the opposite. I would also take issue with the "College Bound" category as I know that the only universities to which many of my former students were bound was a local community college.

I would LOVE to see how this list stacks up to national private and parochial schools. I know it really isn't fair to do a comparison but the sad fact is that, even at the best public schools, those students are not being prepared for leadership.
So teaching at one of the top ten gives you expertise to speak about all the other schools on the list?

Sorry to burst your bubble but High Tech High in NJ is an absolutely amazing school with 100% of their students going on to "real" colleges. Their students are going on to amazing careers in engineering and science.

Now what maybe BS is assigning all of that success to those schools. HTHS has over 400 students sit for the admission exam and only take 80 as freshmen. Granted their kids are obviously the cream of the crop of that county but their program is still top notch.

I can only talk about the schools in my district but I know first hand how good those schools are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
 
15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Reputation: 19641
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
He's submitting two but didn't take the English one and won't submit Computer Science because his college won't take it. However, he had a dual credit class and a college class that he took at a local college so will still have about a semesters worth of college credit to start. He was not asked his AP scores on any college application and he applied to more then a dozen. Colleges only ask for your scores once you've been accepted.

Did any of you see the movie, "Race to Nowhere"? One of the main themes is how students are over-stressed to score high on tests at whatever cost. I think the goal of parents, teachers and schools should be to teach comprehension not to tally up the number of tests taken.
Thats weird, when my daughter applied to her schools two or three of them asked her if she was taking AP courses as well as what scores she got on her exams from her junior year AP exams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,975 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Reputation: 31386
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Thats weird, when my daughter applied to her schools two or three of them asked her if she was taking AP courses as well as what scores she got on her exams from her junior year AP exams.
It's not wierd at all. As AP courses have proliferated, colleges have gotten stricter about what they will accept. My kids had similar experiences as toobusytoday's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 PM
 
12,454 posts, read 27,074,960 times
Reputation: 6946
The AP designation is on the transcript, so it's no secret who takes what, but there was no place at all for the scores. AP's really have proliferated. When my daughter graduated from HS in 2003, our school offered 5 AP classes, 8 years later we have about 2 dozen!
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 PM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,247,856 times
Reputation: 3088
Hey! A school in my district growing up (Portage Northern, MI) made the list! Wahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
 
15,290 posts, read 16,839,007 times
Reputation: 15019
332 Glenda Dawson Pearland TX 23.5 99 2 95 1501 0.323

The school is relatively new - it opened in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 06:00 AM
 
3,853 posts, read 11,423,853 times
Reputation: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Thats weird, when my daughter applied to her schools two or three of them asked her if she was taking AP courses as well as what scores she got on her exams from her junior year AP exams.
Yea it depends on the school. State schools and public schools don't really ask for the scores since they are more lenient on who they admit. Its not always based on academics.

Stricter schools will judge almost entirely on the college essay, ap scores, sat scores, grades etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top