Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:53 PM

217 posts, read 415,597 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a quick way to research the racial demographics of K-12 schools in the U.S.?

I am currently using Greatschools.org, which offers the information in a very organized manner; however, there is a series of pages you must go through for each school. (I have over 2,000 schools I have to research.)

I was hoping someone knew of a better method. I'm hoping to find something were it displays all the schools in a district and displays the racial makeup near the school name. However, any other data or suggestions will be strongly appreciated.

I have to know the racial makeup for each individual school, not just the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
What state? I know the CA Dept of education has school test score (API) data available and one of the attributes (column in Excel) is %ethnicity (%white, %black, etc). I'm pretty sure Alabama (Huntsville) and Colorado (Colorado Springs) did when we moved to those places.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:00 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,345,557 times
These sites have community demographics: SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools and this one SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link) I'm not a fan of the greatschools site as they seem much more subjective.

This site - http://nces.ed.gov/ should also help

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
Does anyone know a quick way to research the racial demographics of K-12 schools in the U.S.?

I am currently using Greatschools.org, which offers the information in a very organized manner; however, there is a series of pages you must go through for each school. (I have over 2,000 schools I have to research.)

I was hoping someone knew of a better method. I'm hoping to find something were it displays all the schools in a district and displays the racial makeup near the school name. However, any other data or suggestions will be strongly appreciated.

I have to know the racial makeup for each individual school, not just the district.
I just remembered, you can gleen these data from Great Schools: Just "Show ALL Schools" within a large radius.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 PM

8,792 posts, read 15,228,972 times
Our district shows the demographics of each individual school. Can you choose any schools or do you have to research specific schools?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post

Out of curiosity, why 2000 schools?

Is your state on this?
School Performance Maps

Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 AM

125 posts, read 494,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
These sites have community demographics: SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools and this one SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link) I'm not a fan of the greatschools site as they seem much more subjective.

This site - National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) Home Page, a part of the U.S. Department of Education should also help
Thank you so very much for sharing these sites! We will be relocating to the DC area and I'm just befuddled by the info provided on greatschools. Test scores are nice, sure, but I have an average academic achiever who excels in the arts. We're actually much more interested in a high school with a diverse student than we are with test scores.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreekgotapaddle View Post
Thank you so very much for sharing these sites! We will be relocating to the DC area and I'm just befuddled by the info provided on greatschools. Test scores are nice, sure, but I have an average academic achiever who excels in the arts. We're actually much more interested in a high school with a diverse student than we are with test scores.
You could also use updated census maps (if they are available yet) and project student body demographic makeup from community and neighborhood makeup.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM

8,792 posts, read 15,228,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreekgotapaddle View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to find the racial demographics of the schools in the area to which you are moving? If so, why do you have over 2,000 schools you have to research?

I am in the DC metro area. The county lists the demographics for each school profile over the last 3 years. Here is an example:

FCPS - School Profiles - Cooper MS - Demographics

Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 PM

125 posts, read 494,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to find the racial demographics of the schools in the area to which you are moving? If so, why do you have over 2,000 schools you have to research?

I am in the DC metro area. The county lists the demographics for each school profile over the last 3 years. Here is an example:

FCPS - School Profiles - Cooper MS - Demographics
I think you have me confused with the OP. I'm just looking for schools for my one DD. I think I would be certifiable if I had to research over 2,000 schools!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education