U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 PM

741 posts, read 746,028 times

Advertisements

It could be that you are socially introverted but would be more confident and thus more extroverted in a professional situation. I would definitely advise you to focus on what you enjoy. If you enjoy it and are good at it, your confidence with power you through whatever human interaction is necessary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,199,027 times
Most of the world's wealthiest guys today are software engineers or hedge fund managers....quant businesses filled w/introverted, socially aloof characters who are rather creative but often "difficult" personalities who don't play well with others

Just make sure have intellectual/technical skills to compete in such high-powered industries

Saddest sight is a dumb geek, like many lower IQ engineers or "scientists" or biologists or economists or non-quant academics who are obsoleted by their 30s or by a recession

Mediocre workers in any field (even academia) need to have decent sales/admin/political skills to survive as they become older, more costly and more disposable to employers

Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,637,071 times
Any engineering field. Petroleum Engineering is what I'd recommend. Guaranteed starting salary of $80,000+ right out of school with a BS. Will probably be making $150,000 or so after 3 years (with stock, bonuses all included)... You would have to go to a school that offers a BS in it. (Texas, Texas Tech, Colorado School of Mines...etc)

Other Engineering degrees I recommend: Anything except Civil Engineering (doesn't pay as well-- similar type of work).

Computer Science would also be good, or some IT field. To make $70K+ you probably must go get a 4 year degree.

Other science related fields would be okay too, but I'd recommend against the natural science fields: Chemistry, Mathematics-- instead I'd do a more specific major, or possibly do physics.

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary

Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,459,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Any engineering field. Petroleum Engineering is what I'd recommend. Guaranteed starting salary of $80,000+ right out of school with a BS. Will probably be making $150,000 or so after 3 years (with stock, bonuses all included)... You would have to go to a school that offers a BS in it. (Texas, Texas Tech, Colorado School of Mines...etc)

Other Engineering degrees I recommend: Anything except Civil Engineering (doesn't pay as well-- similar type of work).

Computer Science would also be good, or some IT field. To make $70K+ you probably must go get a 4 year degree.

Other science related fields would be okay too, but I'd recommend against the natural science fields: Chemistry, Mathematics-- instead I'd do a more specific major, or possibly do physics.

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary
As to what is in red.. that is not necessarily the case. It depends on which exact field, and location you work. My father who is a civil engineer, makes over 250k

Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 PM

10 posts, read 31,687 times
Anything that primarily involves research... I worked in a biochemistry lab my freshmen year of college and can confirm I barely ever talked to anyone there, primarily because there was only 4 people sharing the space and they were all pretty busy most of the time.

Tax or legal research might be an option too, but you will probably have to explain your research to your bosses... not group presentations most of the time though.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 PM

5,387 posts, read 6,264,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
I have a year left in high school and I want to be 100% sure of what I want to be by the end of this year. I'm not exactly shy; I just work better when I'm on my own or near that. I consider myself above average and I'm looking for a job that I'll be good at and that will pay well, $70K and higher. I don't exactly base it off of what I'm good at, because I can gradually get "good" at anything if I put my mind to it.

I've looked at Anesthesiologist, actuaries, and pharmacist, for examples... those pay 100k that I'm interested in.

The specific field doesn't really matter, as long as I don't have to give speeches or things like that... people say, "just talk more" or "why don't you talk?"... I just prefer solitude and it's simply my personality.

Do you know of any jobs that fit my description?

Thanks for reading.
Computers / IT *may* pay $100k, depending on the specific position offered. Also a good potential career, for an introvert (I am one, and I work in IT myself).

Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 PM

13 posts, read 17,187 times
The most popular occupations in 2011

Network Systems Analysts
Physician's Assistant
Medical Assistants
Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
Software Engineers
Physical Therapist Aides
Fitness Trainers
Database Administrators
Veterinary Technicians
Dental Hygienists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or