Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 PM

874 posts, read 1,644,206 times

Advertisements

I have a year left in high school and I want to be 100% sure of what I want to be by the end of this year. I'm not exactly shy; I just work better when I'm on my own or near that. I consider myself above average and I'm looking for a job that I'll be good at and that will pay well, $70K and higher. I don't exactly base it off of what I'm good at, because I can gradually get "good" at anything if I put my mind to it.

I've looked at Anesthesiologist, actuaries, and pharmacist, for examples... those pay 100k that I'm interested in.

The specific field doesn't really matter, as long as I don't have to give speeches or things like that... people say, "just talk more" or "why don't you talk?"... I just prefer solitude and it's simply my personality.

Do you know of any jobs that fit my description?

Thanks for reading.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 AM

123 posts, read 245,158 times
Any job that requires a lot of math and science is a good fit for you then.

If you are not good at those subjects, then you will just have to practice talking to people more. Reason: all other jobs require playing office politics to some extent.

Actually even the math/science jobs do, but there you can show solid proof for your work.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:56 AM

77,950 posts, read 60,105,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
I have a year left in high school and I want to be 100% sure of what I want to be by the end of this year. I'm not exactly shy; I just work better when I'm on my own or near that. I consider myself above average and I'm looking for a job that I'll be good at and that will pay well, $70K and higher. I don't exactly base it off of what I'm good at, because I can gradually get "good" at anything if I put my mind to it.

I've looked at Anesthesiologist, actuaries, and pharmacist, for examples... those pay 100k that I'm interested in.

The specific field doesn't really matter, as long as I don't have to give speeches or things like that... people say, "just talk more" or "why don't you talk?"... I just prefer solitude and it's simply my personality.

Do you know of any jobs that fit my description?

Thanks for reading.
There are a number of actuarial jobs that will fit your needs and yeah, the pay once you finish your exams will be pretty decent.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,543,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
I have a year left in high school and I want to be 100% sure of what I want to be by the end of this year.
Why is this so important?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,252,533 times
How about find something that your interested in, that may make some money, instead of kowtowing to your "shyness."

I was shy too, and to a degree I still am, however I never didn't do anything because of my shyness especially if I wanted it bad enough.

I wouldn't want to live my life like that.

Plus Some would say that the social aspect of working "networking" is more important than your talent, in many fields.

You're still young and it's good that you're thinking about these things, but don't settle with "this is my personality." You'll be surprised over the years how those things, and your own self identities change no matter how immovable they feel like now.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM

191 posts, read 356,362 times
First off i have to say your a smart young adult, already trying to figure out what you what to be is always a intelligent thing to strive for, you also set the bar high knowing you want to make a certain amount $70k is well above average as far as salaries go.....being shy or a introvert can make some jobs uncomfortable, but with time you get used to them.....i dont know a introvert that couldnt do public speaking, they just find it exteremly uncomfortable. I say this to say find out where your passion lies as far as job wise. Then even if its public speaking you CAN do it, and at first it willl be uncomfortable but eventually you can over come that feeling! So whatever your passion is i wish you the best of luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 PM

7,022 posts, read 14,431,683 times
Tech Startup, Actuary, Computer Engineer, Investment Quantitative Analyst, Day Trader

Old 06-23-2011, 02:24 PM

77,950 posts, read 60,105,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Probably because they can't\don't want to rack up 6 years in college and 150k+ in debt wandering around from major to major.

My family had limited finances and I got in and out in 4 years with my actuarial degree and within 3 years of graduation had no loans and had made a downpayment on my first house.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:50 PM

874 posts, read 1,644,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't want to be like most people and change their major in the middle of college...

Plus, I don't see what's wrong with preparing for the rest of my life/my future.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,206,664 times
Technical and engineering jobs often provide great environments for introverts. And although you will most likely never develop an extroverted personality and preferences, learning to act like an extrovert helps a lot; being sort of a closeted introvert, who are not well thought of in many circles.

Maybe if this is moved to a career/business section rather than education you will find more answers to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education