U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 AM

12,454 posts, read 27,080,128 times

Advertisements

The problem with the OP is she is assuming that every state and every district is the same as hers. While all schools are having financial problems, each state and in many states, each district, is dealing with this in different ways. I attend the school board meetings and do feel that my voice is heard.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 11:52 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,162,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
That's garbage. Sorry but that's the best description. Parents are exactly the ones who have the power because ultimately they're citizens first and parents second. And it's truly citizens which create the country/government/education system that exists. If the legislature is corrupt and criminal,it's because the citizens tolerate such things. If a school district is corrupt and inefficient its because the citizens tolerate such things. And of course that's going to be found in every aspect of our lives,including the classroom. What we tolerate and accept is a reflection of us. If that's harsh too bad, it's way past time for a reality check.

Furthermore, what good has it done to be compliant towards any percentage of the population, giving them only what they want to hear. The entire system that we live in is in crisis, and being diplomatic hasn't seemed to have done much of anything. It seems not a problem to trash teachers or unions,but if a teacher tells it the way it is, we get someone like you saying that its a rant. Well maybe its about time people begin to rant about a corrupt system....
Hmmm...okay. By that theory, here's a challenge for you: go fix things. Now. Not all of them, just, say...oh, your state. It's a holiday weekend coming up, so I'll give you until next Friday.
After all, you're a citizen-- you have the power to do it.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,162,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The problem with the OP is she is assuming that every state and every district is the same as hers. While all schools are having financial problems, each state and in many states, each district, is dealing with this in different ways. I attend the school board meetings and do feel that my voice is heard.
She also apparently can't comprehend that two of those variances include relative size and affluence. Example: Concord (MA) Public Schools, with one high school, one middle, and three elementaries in a very affluent part of the country, is going to face completely different challenges than the Dade County School System (fourth largest in the United States, with 392 schools-- 328 of which are Title One funded-- and 345,000 students speaking 56 different languages).

Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 PM

45 posts, read 92,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I know this has been addressed, but you just started a very contentious thread complete with numerous exclamation points entitled "Blame the Parents!!!" Now you want their support?
Ummm if you read I do not blame the parents however ...I'm probably not directly talking to parents like you. However if you saw the condition of how some students came to school unfed, dirty, unkept,smelling like urine, cussing (Kindergarten), weapons in school (Kindergarten), ect...maybe you would understand that the world today is in some deep trouble!!!! How can it not be the parents fault!!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 PM

84,989 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
Ummm if you read I do not blame the parents however ...I'm probably not directly talking to parents like you. However if you saw the condition of how some students came to school unfed, dirty, unkept,smelling like urine, cussing (Kindergarten), weapons in school (Kindergarten), ect...maybe you would understand that the world today is in some deep trouble!!!! How can it not be the parents fault!!
I don't know how more clear a thread title "Blame the Parents!!!" can be! The old "you're different, you're not like those other parents", doesn't set well with me.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 PM

20,568 posts, read 22,728,017 times
Quote:
I am a parent and a teacher. I feel like if all the parents could get together and do something then we could make a difference in all the cuts.

But here in Idaho at least it seems like the parents feel powerless and dont know what to do.

What could they do...and if they did there would be a lot of them

It is a national phenomena. It is what the people in charge are good at doing--

Saying they support education, parents and teachers, then they systematically attack the ones thgay claim to support until parents, teachers and community are at each other throats and trust is out the window.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,425,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What do you teach?

Parents could vote to have their taxes raised for more money for schools. How do you think that would fly?
Parents could send their kids to private schools.
If money were the issue then we would have spectacular schools since during the boom years the education budget has increased year over year. Thats not the case. So you can't really make the argument that more money is going to be the solution - its not.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:09 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,713,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
If money were the issue then we would have spectacular schools since during the boom years the education budget has increased year over year. Thats not the case. So you can't really make the argument that more money is going to be the solution - its not.
The problem with money is that things will get worse without the basics in the classroom and over crowded classrooms don't lend themselves to correcting any of the issues we have in education. Unfortunately, just making classes smaller won't solve the issues. We just make them worse when we make classes bigger.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 AM

5,536 posts, read 8,190,931 times
Quote:
I am a parent and a teacher. I feel like if all the parents could get together and do something then we could make a difference in all the cuts.

But here in Idaho at least it seems like the parents feel powerless and dont know what to do.

What could they do...and if they did there would be a lot of them
Most parents are also taxpayers.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,620,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What do you teach?

Parents could vote to have their taxes raised for more money for schools. How do you think that would fly?
Parents could send their kids to private schools.
Or, parents can actually pitch in and donate the money needed to offset the cuts.

That is, if education is actually as important to the parents as they claim it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or