U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:23 AM

3,408 posts, read 3,570,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
It's happening in Detroit and Chicago. Many schools are closing and their bus services are being cut as well. They tell the kids/parents get to what ever school is open on your own.
I don't think you know much or anything about Chicago schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 AM

33,835 posts, read 41,911,495 times
School system's will have a per pupil cost for buses figured out. Just ask what it is. As far as renters not paying property taxes, as someone mentioned, they do. Through their rent and the landlord pays it. Renters just don't, ususally, get a separate property tax bill.

Fees for activities come into and out of fashion, many times related to the economy. We always paid a "locker fee" in gym 45 years ago in PA along with a materials fee of a couple dollars in shop class. My kids have always had a gym fee in MD. I seem to remember having to pay a shoe fee in wrestling when new shoes were bought. My system in MD just initiated an activity fee of $50. I don't know whether it's a catch-all fee or per activity. Guess I'll have to find out.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 914 times
Here in Barbour Co., AL. our children have had to go through their schools being shut down & being bussed to different towns altogether when a school is right around the corner, all for the sake of the district being able to claim every child possible. Children mean money here. Our kids have to be on a bus by 6:15am and don't get home until 4:45pm. When it comes to the books, you can forget it. The school half the time doesn't give out books because they don't have enough for everyone. Look at our statistics. These kids get run-off sheets. Our state decided to put in a baseball stadium because that was more important than education. Leave no child behind? Really?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 AM

12,605 posts, read 28,027,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
School system's will have a per pupil cost for buses figured out. Just ask what it is. As far as renters not paying property taxes, as someone mentioned, they do. Through their rent and the landlord pays it. Renters just don't, ususally, get a separate property tax bill.

Fees for activities come into and out of fashion, many times related to the economy. We always paid a "locker fee" in gym 45 years ago in PA along with a materials fee of a couple dollars in shop class. My kids have always had a gym fee in MD. I seem to remember having to pay a shoe fee in wrestling when new shoes were bought. My system in MD just initiated an activity fee of $50. I don't know whether it's a catch-all fee or per activity. Guess I'll have to find out.
YOU may have done that in PA but that doesn't mean that was the case in other PA school districts. PA is one of the few states that has self ruling school districts. My kids school district only went to pay to play for athletes within the last four years. Anytime there is a mandated payment at our schools (field trips, sports, etc) the students that get free lunches also get that activity free. I think there is only a 2% free or reduced lunch population though, so it's not a big deal. If they went to a pay-for-buses scenario those kids would not have to pay. For the pay-to-play for athletes, they have a maximum amount per child and per family so as not to penalize a child that pays multiple sports or a family with multiple athletes.

I've done tons of car-pooling but would not have wanted to do it on an everyday basis. Our taxes are high enough, and if they eliminated bus service there would be an outcry about that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 AM

86,890 posts, read 102,319,187 times
We've had activity/athletic fees here in Colorado for years. Our school district voted in a "transportation tax" to fund the buses, so the money wouldn't have to come out of the classroom budget. Other districts in this state charge fees for transportation.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 AM

613 posts, read 841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
Hey I know this thread won't be popular with some however I feel like IF we were to require parents pay a nominal fee like lets say $100.00 a year or for their own bussing then finally we could get something done.

I mean in our school the bus goes 1 block and makes its first stop...really are you SERIOUS!!!!

That is why we had to cut our GIFTED AND MUSIC PROGRAMS!! Seems like our priorities are wrong.

Why does everything have to be free. We work 2 jobs each just to give our children what they need!

NOW DONT TELL ME THAT PARENTS CANT DO THAT...
FREE? Pay for something? I'm already paying out the 'you know what' where 60% of our property taxes go to the schools. In many districts where I live, teachers are making 6 figure salaries or close to it.

Parents need to pay more? I think not.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:13 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times
I'm truly sorry that your district is struggling, but stop painting with a broad brush. There are plenty of communities across this nation where parents (and non-parents) are stepping up to fill in the gaps.

My community voted in a huge bond this past year. Additionally, both the elementary school and middle school my children attend had very successful fund-raising drives. The PTO also collects "voluntary" donations from each family of a few hundred dollars each fall, which helps cover para-professional wages and other resources. School parents volunteer thousands of hours each year to make sure the library, music, and other programs continue to function.

Right now, I'm sitting at the library waiting for my son to finish with his language arts tutor. We've already spenty an hour reviewing math, and after he's done we'll head home for a healthy lunch and exercise before sitting down for an hour of free reading. After my kids go to bed, you'll find me planning Cub Scout "go-sees" to the Denver Mint, the science and art museums, the children's theater, and a variety of library programs. Tomorrow morning, I'll get up and drive my daughter to her summer math enrichment course, so she'll have a leg up for pre-algebra in the fall before taking her to a music lesson.

When school commences, you'll find me at school most days, making copies, filing, shelving books in the library, or listening to kids practice reading aloud. Why do I do it? Because I do care, as do most of the other parents in my community! There are literally dozens of us in our relatively-small elementary school each day.

It's exhausting to read all of these parent-trashing threads. My family and neighbors are already doing everything we can do to keep our district and our kids on track. Seriously, please stop with all the moaning and groaning about parents in general. I understand the occasional need to vent, Jennifer5221, but perhaps you should ask those of us who live in communities who are making good things happen how we're doing it and how you might inspire change in your own.

BTW, one of my kids walks to school. The other rides a bus, and, yes, I would be happy to subsidize transportation if necessary.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-30-2011 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,320,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Living far out away from schools, having lot's of kids....these are choices and should be considered when personal budget planning is done.
Ideally, but I've found that life often doesn't go according to plan. And often the deviations (unplanned babies, divorce, lay-offs) that might not critically wound one family become catastrophic for another who's closer to poverty level.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 PM

4,720 posts, read 6,113,858 times
One parent suggestion for our financially strapped school system is to stop using school buses and issue vouchers for students to ride the city buses.
Reasoning: 1. the city buses run the same routes and run regardless. 2. vouchers are cheaper than school bus upkeep and drivers. 3. city buses are deemed safer (I really don't know who made this decision) 4. in this area most of the time the city buses run practically empty.

Now my biggest concern, if my child were riding a city bus to school would be the others riding the bus, pedifiles and pervs for instance.

Again this was a parent suggestion.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:43 PM

23,993 posts, read 30,112,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
Hey I know this thread won't be popular with some however I feel like IF we were to require parents pay a nominal fee like lets say $100.00 a year or for their own bussing then finally we could get something done.

I mean in our school the bus goes 1 block and makes its first stop...really are you SERIOUS!!!!

That is why we had to cut our GIFTED AND MUSIC PROGRAMS!! Seems like our priorities are wrong.

Why does everything have to be free. We work 2 jobs each just to give our children what they need!

NOW DONT TELL ME THAT PARENTS CANT DO THAT...
there are places to cut before cutting bussing. but certainly bussing can be on the table. why should i pay a fee for the bus when i am already overpaying for teacher compensation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or