U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,266,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
Hey I know this thread won't be popular with some however I feel like IF we were to require parents pay a nominal fee like lets say $100.00 a year or for their own bussing then finally we could get something done.

I mean in our school the bus goes 1 block and makes its first stop...really are you SERIOUS!!!!

That is why we had to cut our GIFTED AND MUSIC PROGRAMS!! Seems like our priorities are wrong.

Why does everything have to be free. We work 2 jobs each just to give our children what they need!

NOW DONT TELL ME THAT PARENTS CANT DO THAT...

Seriously??? You've got to be kidding me.

Not only have my property taxes quadrupled since I've bought my house 14 years ago, my town is contemplating charging a per bag fee for garbage disposal, and our 'fire department' such as it is, is mainly volunteer, so my house insurance is ridiculously high as well IMO.

I've gone back to work part-time (which will probably have to morph to full-time here pretty soon (we'll see when I get THIS year's tax bill because the town/school budget went UP again) and my grocery and gas bill alone have surpassed (3 years ago) the 3% cost of living increase I'm getting this month (after 4 years of having NO COLA or even a simple merit raise - which they did away with years ago for everyone - AT ALL btw). I'm further in the hole than I was 10 years ago for Pete's sake.

I think we need to bring back simple arithmetic, so people can see what doesn't add up.

Every single time I go shopping some 'organization' or another is begging for my extra change, either at the checkout or out the door.

My Do Not Call list doesn't include charities, so I pay extra on my phone bill for caller ID to avoid being harrassed to give to starving Native American Children, The Miracle Network, Kids Without Kidneys, or fill in the blank ___________.

My mail is inundated with 'free' calanders, address labels, etc, etc, etc, trying to get me to donate to this, that, and the other thing.

At the beginning of the school year, my children are sent home with a Readers Digest fundraiser, and are offered all sorts of bribe prizes to sell, sell, sell, so the PTA can afford to fund a simple field trip or provide some sort of supplies.

During Easter, we get to try and sell the most chocolate bunnies, if we purchase books from Scholastic, they'll give the classroom 'free' books, and there are any number of other miscellaneous 'fund-raising' events my children are invited to participate in.

No. I'm sorry, I pay enough as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 10:23 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,086,895 times
Just by eliminating busing most schools could save tons for education itself.The problem is that its its own system how and stoppi g its like stoppig so mnay things once they get started in any public sector.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:43 AM

85,016 posts, read 98,876,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Just by eliminating busing most schools could save tons for education itself.The problem is that its its own system how and stoppi g its like stoppig so mnay things once they get started in any public sector.
The transportation budget in my district is 2.8% of the total budget and we pay a separate tax for transportation

http://bvsd.org/businessservices/Budget/Documents/2010-11ProposedBudget.pdf (broken link)

See p. 122

For some reason, people seem to think transportation is a HUGE expenditure in school districts. I'd guess that in the OP's district, that wasn't really the reason for eliminating TAG and music.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:43 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,125,118 times
Quote:
Hey I know this thread won't be popular with some however I feel like IF we were to require parents pay a nominal fee like lets say $100.00 a year or for their own bussing then finally we could get something done.

I mean in our school the bus goes 1 block and makes its first stop...really are you SERIOUS!!!!

That is why we had to cut our GIFTED AND MUSIC PROGRAMS!! Seems like our priorities are wrong.

Why does everything have to be free. We work 2 jobs each just to give our children what they need!

You know the old line about "I had to walk to school"? There are state mandated laws governing the distance a kid walks. I lived 3/10 of a mile from grade school and got no bus; the kids down the road got one (over 3/10). Jr. Hi? Over a mile ( Nope, never got that either) Not for HS either -- but we could pay and ride the town bus which circled town then. Our daughters got the bus: the nearest school to our house is less than 1/4 mile away, but it is a different district! Theirs was over 5 miles. They always were bussed. In HS, as soon as the oldest could drive, we gave them a junker.

For the record, every year our district wants to buy new buses. You don't need to replace 1/3 the fleet annually. Every year, we vote against that part of the budget. [Many kids have parents drive them and the buses are often half empty]. Get the Board of Ed. to separate that from the programs. You may not kill a mandate, but you may cut taxes if they replace less buses. I do think that if you have the school pick up or drop off your child from a day care or after school location, then you should pay more; you chose that. [We always had our own kids come home to a neighbor and as soon as the oldest was in grade 6/youngest in grade 4, both came home to the house and did homework until I came home to cook. Some kids can do that responsibly. Others can't/won't. These girls are in their 30s; that might be considered endangerment -- left alone at 11 and 9 for an hour or so -- now]

You also should consider that neither music, art or gifted programs are state mandates. You do not "have" to have them.

Blame the State Board of Ed for mandates and the local for the choices beyond mandates.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,165,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post

You also should consider that neither music, art or gifted programs are state mandates. You do not "have" to have them.

Blame the State Board of Ed for mandates and the local for the choices beyond mandates.
That depends on the state. Many places lump gifted into ESE, and so in fact it is required.
Busing costs also vary widely from district to district. I'd have to look ours up, but it's well above Katiana's 3%.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,626,916 times
Quote:

It's not that they CAN'T do it, it's that they WON'T do it.

Everyone claims that education is important to them until it's time to step up.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 PM

11,900 posts, read 14,378,792 times
If they live within two miles let them walk, it would be healthier. I have actually heard of cases where a child was registered in the wrong school because it was on a parent's way to work.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:31 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,165,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's not that they CAN'T do it, it's that they WON'T do it.

Everyone claims that education is important to them until it's time to step up.
1. Education is important. Public school is one aspect of that, though not the only one.
2. Little improves when money is thrown at it in lieu of other changes being made.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
One parent suggestion for our financially strapped school system is to stop using school buses and issue vouchers for students to ride the city buses.
Reasoning: 1. the city buses run the same routes and run regardless. 2. vouchers are cheaper than school bus upkeep and drivers. 3. city buses are deemed safer (I really don't know who made this decision) 4. in this area most of the time the city buses run practically empty.

Now my biggest concern, if my child were riding a city bus to school would be the others riding the bus, pedifiles and pervs for instance.

Again this was a parent suggestion.
The district I taught in did this for HS and any kid who went to a private or parochial ( they are mandated to provide transportation after a certain distance and kids going to private or parochial are included in that).

Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
That depends on the state. Many places lump gifted into ESE, and so in fact it is required.
I am curious? What states?

Schools can only count something as a mandate if it falls under federal funding (like busing) and G&T (gifted and talented) never did in all the years I taught. It was a local item; that made it paid for entirely by state/local taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or