Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj
School buses were supposed to be available to students in lieu of public transport, so it isn't enough to say public transit is available to all students equally....
I'm all for students walking to school or to a gathering spot (fighting and bullying notwithstanding) where they can catch the bus. However, I teach at a county school and our most distant students live 20+ miles away. There's NO public transit to that area of the county, so what's the alternative? The kids should walk? I don't think so.

Look -- I'm all for parental responsibility, but there's no way that the families of all 1200+ kids in my school can live within one or two miles of the school -- so they can't all be within walking distance. Plus, rents decrease the farther one gets from school -- many parents can't afford to live any closer than they do. Many of our families have only one vehicle (usually an older clunker), which has to be used to get to/from work, so it's not possible to drive the student to school. Many of our parents are considered "the working poor" and qualify for some kind of public assistance, so expecting them to pay extra for school bus transportation just isn't reasonable.

Again, if you're going to make school compulsary, you have to make sure there's a way for students to get to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
School attendance is compulsary. You can't mandate a child go to school without providing a way for that child to get there.
Sure you can. Here in Fort Lauderdale kids living closer than 2 miles are not provided with a bus. At all. Not for a fee, not for free, not at all. School attendance is still compulsory.

From the Broward County School Board FAQ:

"Who is eligible for transportation to a Broward County Public School?
Transportation via Broward County Public School buses is provided to students living more than two (2) miles from their assigned school or if there is a safety hazard along the route to school. Parents are encouraged to call their child's school for more information."

Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,792 times
Quote:
I'm all for students walking to school or to a gathering spot (fighting and bullying notwithstanding) where they can catch the bus. However, I teach at a county school and our most distant students live 20+ miles away. There's NO public transit to that area of the county, so what's the alternative? The kids should walk? I don't think so.

Look -- I'm all for parental responsibility, but there's no way that the families of all 1200+ kids in my school can live within one or two miles of the school -- so they can't all be within walking distance. Plus, rents decrease the farther one gets from school -- many parents can't afford to live any closer than they do. Many of our families have only one vehicle (usually an older clunker), which has to be used to get to/from work, so it's not possible to drive the student to school. Many of our parents are considered "the working poor" and qualify for some kind of public assistance, so expecting them to pay extra for school bus transportation just isn't reasonable.

Again, if you're going to make school compulsary, you have to make sure there's a way for students to get to school.
I don't disagree with you, in fact I'm in accord. The point is that cities such as Chicago/Detroit are closing schools and getting rid of school buses. Kids are being forced to go miles to any public school, and when those cities are also cutting public transportation, there is no alternative. IMO the point is to force kids either to drop out or to leave those cities and choose to go to school somewhere else. I've read where many Chicago public high schools are now having to have swing shifts of students, some from 7 am to noon followed by the other kids from noon to five, or some combo such as that. If you happen to be a kid that has to be at school at 7, and you're miles away with only public transport available and those buses which don't start running in time for you to get to school, then nothing is left.

The point is that because many USAAmericans ignored the demise of industrial America they set the stage for cities based on industrial sectors to fail. As they do nothing will be spared and we're now beginning to see the results. We have a long way to go before it gets better and one of the things that TPTB are going to diminish if not get rid of is public education. And it doesn't matter if it's urban or rural the same dynamic is taking place...

Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
I don't disagree with you, in fact I'm in accord. The point is that cities such as Chicago/Detroit are closing schools and getting rid of school buses. Kids are being forced to go miles to any public school, and when those cities are also cutting public transportation, there is no alternative. IMO the point is to force kids either to drop out or to leave those cities and choose to go to school somewhere else. I've read where many Chicago public high schools are now having to have swing shifts of students, some from 7 am to noon followed by the other kids from noon to five, or some combo such as that. If you happen to be a kid that has to be at school at 7, and you're miles away with only public transport available and those buses which don't start running in time for you to get to school, then nothing is left.

The point is that because many USAAmericans ignored the demise of industrial America they set the stage for cities based on industrial sectors to fail. As they do nothing will be spared and we're now beginning to see the results. We have a long way to go before it gets better and one of the things that TPTB are going to diminish if not get rid of is public education. And it doesn't matter if it's urban or rural the same dynamic is taking place...

What's TPTB?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What's TPTB?
The Powers That Be....

Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Sure you can. Here in Fort Lauderdale kids living closer than 2 miles are not provided with a bus. At all. Not for a fee, not for free, not at all. School attendance is still compulsory.

From the Broward County School Board FAQ:

"Who is eligible for transportation to a Broward County Public School?
Transportation via Broward County Public School buses is provided to students living more than two (2) miles from their assigned school or if there is a safety hazard along the route to school. Parents are encouraged to call their child's school for more information."
Two miles is within walking distance, IMHO, and it's not unreasonable to ask (most) kids to make the walk. I'm talking distances such as I mentioned at my school -- 20 miles IS too far to walk.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Two miles is within walking distance, IMHO, and it's not unreasonable to ask (most) kids to make the walk. I'm talking distances such as I mentioned at my school -- 20 miles IS too far to walk.
How long does it take a 5-year-old with a book bag to walk two miles? And what time does school start?

If it starts at 7.30 (the time around here), and it takes an hour to walk two miles, then the child would need to leave the house around 6.30. That's well before daylight in the winter, and there are no sidewalks. On the way home, it would take from 2.30 until 3.30, when it is at least light outside.

Our district provides transportation to any child who has to cross a major street (3+ lanes) at whatever distance. The reason is that they want children to arrive alive and safe.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM

191 posts, read 945,885 times
^ No way it takes an hour to walk 2 miles. I'd say 30-40 mins max if they're walking slow. A 15 minute mile pace for walking is pretty normal.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraji View Post
^ No way it takes an hour to walk 2 miles. I'd say 30-40 mins max if they're walking slow. A 15 minute mile pace for walking is pretty normal.
for a 5 year old? did you forget to take step size into consideration?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
I walked 1/2 mile to kindergarten and that seemed like a marathon. Things to pick up along the way, cats to pet, etc. 2 miles is too far for a small child to walk, even when accompanied by a parent.

On the flip side, I pay a lot of money toward my school districts, I always have. I don't have kids either. And I find it sad that I pay higher taxes than others in my income bracket because I don't have the deductions for children.

To me, it would make sense to charge a small amount for transportation - even at $1 a day, it would defray some of the costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education