Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:11 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there are places to cut before cutting bussing. but certainly bussing can be on the table. why should i pay a fee for the bus when i am already overpaying for teacher compensation?

I wondered when transportation would turn into teacher bashing. Doesn't usually take this long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I posit eliminating the entire school lunch apparatus and resulting logistic and administrative tail would save considerable amounts of money and returns schools to what they need to do which is teach.

Parents who have the money could afford to pack a lunch and those who do not have food-aid programs to purchase foodstuffs to pack and send off with the youngsters to school.

I too have seen where the same bus makes a stop then travels about 100' feet and then makes another stop. I recall there were collection points which incorporated several street blocks to facilitate and speed up loading/offloading.

Last edited by Felix C; 06-30-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I posit eliminating the entire school lunch apparatus and resulting logistic and administrative tail would save considerable amounts of money and returns schools to what they need to do which is teach.

Parents who have the money could afford to pack a lunch and those who do not have food-aid programs to purchase foodstuffs to pack and send off with the youngsters to school.

I too have seen where the same bus makes a stop then travels about 100' feet and then makes another stop. I recall there where collection points which incorporated several street blocks to facilitate and speed up loading/offloading.
The school lunch program is funded by the US Department of Agriculture. Do we really have to go through all this again?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The school lunch program is funded by the US Department of Agriculture. Do we really have to go through all this again?
There is much more overhead involved than the cost of the food.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:06 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I don't think you know much or anything about Chicago schools.
Funny after reading this I thought the same of you....

Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
We have alot of grade schoolers K-5th walk more than a mile everyday from the bus stop. They do it in less than an hour, usually about 20 minutes. Non of them have died.
TWO miles not one. Little kids carrying books cannot walk a mile in 20 minutes. Especially if they have to stop at intersections. An hour in each direction for a small child (think K/1) carrying books is pretty reasonable for the TWO miles that my district uses as a radius to provide busses.

Most parents who live 1.9 miles away (like I did) take their kids to school. When they get a little older they ride their bikes but of course here in FL rain is an issue in Sept/Oct and in May.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Living far out away from schools, having lot's of kids....these are choices and should be considered when personal budget planning is done.
Around here living far from school is fine. You get a bus if you live more than 2 miles from your school. It's people who live 1.9 miles from the school that have problems. It's to far to walk and not far enough to get a bus. Plus-our district rezones homes all the time so what you buy is not necessarily what you get when it comes to schools.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Car pools are the devil's work. I did several in middle school, when we didn't have bus service. Never again. Since you don't have kids, you shouldn't be telling parents what to do.
Since I am paying for these kids to go to school, I should be allowed to at least offer some constructive suggestions.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:23 AM

10 posts, read 78,872 times
many people take rent home to stay away from property taxes.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Since I am paying for these kids to go to school, I should be allowed to at least offer some constructive suggestions.
Car pools are the devil's work. I'd never recommend that anyone do one for school. Here are some of my experiences:

Other parents: When my father died and I had to go out of town for his funeral, I called another mom to ask her to sub. She was quite snarky with me and finally I said, "well, I'm not going to be here, so do whatever".

A mom kept all the kids in the car pool waiting while her daughter serve her detention after school, w/o checking with any of the rest of us re: any plans we might have, or even to let us know the kids would be late getting home.

Kids:

Bringing friends home w/o asking, so that there were not enough seat belts for everyone in the car.

Going home with friends w/o informing anyone, so we waited for these people to show up until someone finally said, "she's going home with ***".

Just a few examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education