U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,464,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Perhaps if they'd stop all the busy work, all the arts and crafts, all the goofy projects the parents end up doing because its beyond the skill level of the grade (hey, its 4th grade, not MA in Fine Arts)

I hoped they would get away from the crayons, markers, etc in middle school, but....it never ends. I would like to see a supply list that doesn't require crayons, markers, etc.........when does it end? Am I expected to buy crayolas and glue sticks when they are in 12th grade? What's college lie nowdays, more crayons?
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a believer in core education, but I also believe that there's a need for students to develop their creative side as well. Think about those research studies that have shown pretty conclusively that learning music leads to other types of educational gains, and even leads to gains in what we would call 'intelligence'. I don't think that jamming another hour or two of reading, writing, 'rithmetic down their throats is necessarily going to lead to substantial gains. Younger learners need different types of cognitive experiences and challenges, not just the ones that the job market obviously values. That's the difference between making a student into an adult who can just do math, write papers, and follow simple orders to do simple or moderately complex tasks...and cultivating an adult who is capable of functioning autonomously and becoming a truly multidimensional thinker, relying on multiple intelligences that have been developed carefully and fully over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,317,230 times
I had the chance to attend part of college with many international students and it's very interesting to see how people from other countries perceive american learning.

I had many many korean students in my classes and all of them can't get over how disrespectful the students are. Also, you will never see them raise their hands because that was not permitted during teaching. The teacher taught. You listened and if he asked for questions you could ask.

Another thing, teachers would assign a big project and everyone would complain and ask for extensions. Go on and on about how much other work they have. Come with it incomplete going on about having another test. Korean students would come to class with everything finished completely and perfectly and get an A every time.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM

15,744 posts, read 13,171,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I had the chance to attend part of college with many international students and it's very interesting to see how people from other countries perceive american learning.

I had many many korean students in my classes and all of them can't get over how disrespectful the students are. Also, you will never see them raise their hands because that was not permitted during teaching. The teacher taught. You listened and if he asked for questions you could ask.

Another thing, teachers would assign a big project and everyone would complain and ask for extensions. Go on and on about how much other work they have. Come with it incomplete going on about having another test. Korean students would come to class with everything finished completely and perfectly and get an A every time.
I am also fairly well versed with the Korean system having lived in SE Asia and gone to an International School with primarily Korean students.

The Korean system also includes 10 hr days of school, and hours after school going to extra-curriculars which are just other subject outside of school. I am in favor of longer hours and even a longer school year but I do not relish adopting the Korean system in anyway.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:16 PM

624 posts, read 1,046,215 times
The other countries do not have to teach ESL. They might have a better product?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Not necessarily the case. A lot of countries in Europe have to teach to second language learners.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am also fairly well versed with the Korean system having lived in SE Asia and gone to an International School with primarily Korean students.

The Korean system also includes 10 hr days of school, and hours after school going to extra-curriculars which are just other subject outside of school. I am in favor of longer hours and even a longer school year but I do not relish adopting the Korean system in anyway.
I think we need to be careful about the models we look at for our own programs. Don't get me wrong; I've got nothing against Asian schools as a whole, but I teach Asian students here and a lot of them lack critical thinking skills. They're just good at basic language skills, mathematics, core knowledge, and passing tests, but ask them to think critically, and they can't do it. Being good at passing tests isn't the same as being an innovator or creative thinker.

Just for the record, though, I think the criticisms above apply to American students as well. I think that's where we've gone wrong over the past 10-20 years. I think that about 15 years ago, there was a (legitimate) concern that American students didn't have the skills to keep up with others, so that IT jobs made foreign nationals more competitive applicants. I think the energy went toward correcting that situation and it's still true in a lot of cases. However, I also think we've gone too far in the other direction. We want and need balance. We need people who have core skills while also cultivating an ability to function independently, and to think critically.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:50 PM

605 posts, read 1,178,877 times
Quote:

It has nothing to do with ESL. It has to do with the fact that American parents are LAZY LAZY LAZY.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:32 PM

624 posts, read 1,046,215 times
Did anybody see the post about the teachers in Atlanta, Georgia cheating for their students? they are staying after school and erasing wrong answers and marking in the correct ones. This is why they say they work long hours...hahahahahah

Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,241,612 times
Quote:
Actually in several Asian countries such as Japan, China and South Korea, English is a required subject.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Actually in several Asian countries such as Japan, China and South Korea, English is a required subject.
Spanish and Mandarin should be required in the US. That would certainly give parents something to worry about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or