U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
 
3,853 posts, read 11,426,754 times
Reputation: 2503

Advertisements

So I am sure most of you have heard of the one laptop per child program. If you haven't heard of it then its basically a very cheap laptop that is custom built for developing countries. Its very durable, cheap to make (around 200$ at present) and can connect to the internet. So far about 1-2 million have been given away.

Now lets take that same concept and apply it to developing countries. Instead of laptops it will be tablets. For being a rather new technology the price point is rather low at 500$ and is a bargain considering what it can do. I say we give each child a tablet.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2011, 10:24 PM
 
2,920 posts, read 2,909,037 times
Reputation: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
So I am sure most of you have heard of the one laptop per child program. If you haven't heard of it then its basically a very cheap laptop that is custom built for developing countries. Its very durable, cheap to make (around 200$ at present) and can connect to the internet. So far about 1-2 million have been given away.

Now lets take that same concept and apply it to developing countries. Instead of laptops it will be tablets. For being a rather new technology the price point is rather low at 500$ and is a bargain considering what it can do. I say we give each child a tablet.

Thoughts?
Make it solar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 03:35 AM
 
3,853 posts, read 11,426,754 times
Reputation: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Make it solar.
solar cells embedded in the back of the tablet? I am sure that is in the works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 29,717,492 times
Reputation: 14499
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
solar cells embedded in the back of the tablet? I am sure that is in the works.
No, they'll get left out in the rain....make them water proof too.

I taught in a school with a 1:1 laptop program and it's a great program. Kids learn technolgy without being taught technology (they teach each other) and the teacher doesn't have to modify lesson plans if she can't get the computer cart that day.

I'd love it if all of my students had a laptop/tablet. Then there'd be no excuse for not checking my web page for assignments or due dates and I wouldn't get countless requests to take up class time to show grades because I could just tell them to check on line.

But what I really love about such programs is they treat computers like what they are...a tool. IMO, unless you are learning computer programming, there is no reason to have to take computer classes. Back when my kids were simply using powerpoint (they were never taught how to use it except in the simpliest way) they knew more about it than I did. I used to ask my 9 year old for help on the presentations I was doing for college. Once one kid in her class figured something out, they all knew it. They taught each other how to use the software and, let me tell you, they're good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,469 posts, read 6,163,534 times
Reputation: 3481
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
So I am sure most of you have heard of the one laptop per child program. If you haven't heard of it then its basically a very cheap laptop that is custom built for developing countries. Its very durable, cheap to make (around 200$ at present) and can connect to the internet. So far about 1-2 million have been given away.

Now lets take that same concept and apply it to developing countries. Instead of laptops it will be tablets. For being a rather new technology the price point is rather low at 500$ and is a bargain considering what it can do. I say we give each child a tablet.

Thoughts?
I have a couple of thoughts:
First and foremost is that the likelihood of this becoming yet another well-intentioned idea that falls prey to corruption is huge. Second is that I'm guessing little Bashir in the Sudan probably has more pressing problems, like food and not being drafted at the age of eight. There are more, but let's go with those for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 PM
 
833 posts, read 4,371,714 times
Reputation: 969
I'd be afraid of the kids being victimized b/c some scum bags steal it from them on their way home from school. How would you keep the kids and their laptops safe? A laptop could bring in a lot of money for essentials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,005 posts, read 13,184,027 times
Reputation: 7956
in most developing countries, children are wanting for basics like food, clean water, and enough of an education to read a simple chapter book. laptops aren't pressing concern for them (and do these countries even have the required infrastructure for such widespread use of internet?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 10:03 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,507,010 times
Reputation: 4494
My thought is that hardware is just the beginning, and I don't think many school districts have the funds to hire the IT professionals required to to make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 AM
 
3,853 posts, read 11,426,754 times
Reputation: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I have a couple of thoughts:
First and foremost is that the likelihood of this becoming yet another well-intentioned idea that falls prey to corruption is huge. Second is that I'm guessing little Bashir in the Sudan probably has more pressing problems, like food and not being drafted at the age of eight. There are more, but let's go with those for now.
Okay and what are you doing to make sure little bashir gets enough food to eat?

Quote:
I'd be afraid of the kids being victimized b/c some scum bags steal it from them on their way home from school. How would you keep the kids and their laptops safe? A laptop could bring in a lot of money for essentials.
Most tablets have GPS so when joe scumbag steals it you can track him down.

Quote:
in most developing countries, children are wanting for basics like food, clean water, and enough of an education to read a simple chapter book. laptops aren't pressing concern for them (and do these countries even have the required infrastructure for such widespread use of internet?)
Internet infrastructure is pretty easy to install. So I am sure it will make its way there in due time.

Quote:
My thought is that hardware is just the beginning, and I don't think many school districts have the funds to hire the IT professionals required to to make it work.
You won't have to hire any IT professionals to, "make it work." Most teachers are pretty tech savvy these days to figure out how a little old tablet works and if they aren't then chances are they shouldn't be in the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,469 posts, read 6,163,534 times
Reputation: 3481
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aconite
I have a couple of thoughts:
First and foremost is that the likelihood of this becoming yet another well-intentioned idea that falls prey to corruption is huge. Second is that I'm guessing little Bashir in the Sudan probably has more pressing problems, like food and not being drafted at the age of eight. There are more, but let's go with those for now.

Okay and what are you doing to make sure little bashir gets enough food to eat?
It doesn't really matter whether I'm personally sending him checks or increasing my own carbon footprint and consumption of cheap malt liquor in his name (reality is somewhere between the two, and that's as much of it as is your concern). You asked for opinions, and mine is that many developing countries' citizens have more pressing needs than easily broken or soon-obsolete technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top