U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,077,308 times

Advertisements

Not even going to touch the socialization question... anyone who homeschools already knows that it's not really a concern once you get going and find a network.

We've homeschooled in Connecticut and Florida, and have found large networks of homeschoolers (moreso in Florida) and very homeschool-friendly laws. Law-wise, probably New Jersey, Texas, Michigan, Oklahoma, Connecticut, Florida... and a handful of other states are going to be your best bet. New York, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Massachussetts... those all have more stringent laws (among others, I'm sure). Socialization/support-wise: There are homeschoolers everywhere; you just need to know where to look for them. You'll probably find more resources in a suburban or urban area than you would in a rural area. Once you narrow down which part of the country you want to live in, I'd advise looking at state laws, then going from there in looking for a homeschooling community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,168,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Socialization/support-wise: There are homeschoolers everywhere; you just need to know where to look for them.
And some homeschool families even dare to cross those invisible boundary lines, and associate with public- and private- schoolers. Don't tell anybody, though; we'd probably get drummed out of the coop.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,077,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
And some homeschool families even dare to cross those invisible boundary lines, and associate with public- and private- schoolers. Don't tell anybody, though; we'd probably get drummed out of the coop.
I thought that in order to be a homeschooler, you could only associate with other moms who also wear denim jumpers like we all do!!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I thought that in order to be a homeschooler, you could only associate with other moms who also wear denim jumpers like we all do!!

Or tie-dye broomstick skirts. My family is of the tie-dye and granola tribe, and we named our children Eagle-in-Winter and Ripe-Strawberry. We eat only raw, free-range, organic vegetables of color and unschool in a yurt. The children peddle homemade candles on the street corners and we call it Economics 101; feeding the goldfish is Advanced Animal Husbandry. Ripe-Strawberry believes she is a garden fairy and the butterflies are her sisters. She doesn't actually talk to public schoolers, or anyone whose name starts with a consonant. Oh, and I haven't shaved my legs since the Ford Administration.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,147,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Not a homeschooler here, but here's my two cents all the same: what do you mean by "best"? I would think somewhere like New York City would be about as good as it gets, as you have both tons of other homeschoolers as well as unlimited educational options just outside your door.
Problem is, the State of New York has draconian homeschooling laws like my state that allows for little to no parent flexibility in how said parent(s) educate their children.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 AM

15,308 posts, read 16,874,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Problem is, the State of New York has draconian homeschooling laws like my state that allows for little to no parent flexibility in how said parent(s) educate their children.
There are several sources to find out your state laws. Here's one:

Homeschool Laws & Legalities - A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling

In New York, you do have to submit your education plan to the state and it has to be approved. There are required courses you must include and you must also submit quarterly reports evaluating the child's progress.

It's definitely more regulated in New York than in many other states.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There are several sources to find out your state laws. Here's one:

Homeschool Laws & Legalities - A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling

In New York, you do have to submit your education plan to the state and it has to be approved. There are required courses you must include and you must also submit quarterly reports evaluating the child's progress.

It's definitely more regulated in New York than in many other states.
Which, depending on how you homeschool, might not be a big deal. Some parents really are that regimented because that's their comfort zone. Some of us wind up putting together our portfolio a week before it's due, and hoping we actually shoved some math papers for each kid in that file drawer. We've done a ton of stuff, but documentation is a skill in progress.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 PM

67 posts, read 92,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Socialization in schools can also be good or bad. How many kids are socialized into the drug culture in school? How many kids are bullied in school?
In my classroom I don't put up with bullying or the drug culture either. Reason: I was bullied back in high school so I know how it feels. Teachers, principals, parents, and other students need to stand up to this garbage.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 AM

346 posts, read 428,518 times
I home school in TN, a bible belt state, and while there are a ton of resources available, the home school culture here locally is very "churchy." I find it somewhat limiting, but have worked around it mostly....

As far as support, there is plenty of support within the school district, we have an assigned liason from the local county schools, and she is very helpful.

My kids are required to take standardized tests every other year, same as required in the local school district and if they score poorly two years in a row, the school district reserves the right to place them back into public school.

Also, one either has to sign up with a state approved "church related school" or "umbrella school" OR the parent is the teacher and has to have a high school diploma for K to 8th grade and a college diploma for high school.

So, all in all, TN is not a difficult state to home school in, and if you are looking for Christian based home schooling communities, TN is your state, at least East TN is.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 AM

1 posts, read 653 times
Smile Need for homeschooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I've often wondered the need for home-schooling if the parent(s) are so willing to become involved in a child's education, other than providing "subject selectivity" and omission of the widely held theory of Evolution. Public schools by and large aren't the issue, it's the lack of parental involvement and the notion that teachers are responsible for parenting somehow.
The need for homeschooling is that it gives my children the opportunity to schedule their learning around their own foci and passions, rather than the organizational requirements of a large institution which has to pass quantities of students along at a standardized pace.

My home-schooled children are consistently ahead of the curve without ever being forced to learn. They socialize with children from a far greater socio-economic and geographic range than their counterparts in schools, who only get to know kids from their neighborhood (or those who can afford private school), including both school kids and other home-schoolers. They have tons of opportunity to work on teams, to win, and to lose.

Most importantly, they understand their learning is something that they own, not something they are forced to do. When they go out into the world to contribute, they will understand as they do now that they are responsible for owning their accomplishments and not expect -- as I see all too often -- that organizations will decide their goals and their worth for them.

Could I put my kids in school and be involved there? Sure, but why waste on moment of the precious time I have with my kids struggling with an environment that by its very nature has to care more about itself than any individual child? I feel so fortunate that we are able to afford to work with our children in this way. They are more independent, passionate, and self-aware because of home-schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education