U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:20 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
So when will people conclude that tablets and the Internet will change home schooling and the city and possibly the school system will be irrelevant? The question is, "What to load on the tablets?"

How many schools could do this 12 years ago?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ycircuit&hl=en

So why do cities and schools matter now?

psik
Many states have virtual schools now and students take classes that way.
Funny part though is that the outdated attendance laws apply so the kids still must come to school and take the classes in the computer labs. They can't leave early either. They go to the library and read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:23 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Some legal info about private schools in Colorado. Private schools and home schooling are separate categories.

Colorado Non-Public Schools | CDE

Old 09-01-2013, 07:42 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
So when will people conclude that tablets and the Internet will change home schooling and the city and possibly the school system will be irrelevant? The question is, "What to load on the tablets?"

How many schools could do this 12 years ago?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ycircuit&hl=en

So why do cities and schools matter now?

psik
Not every kid cares about learning about electronic circuitry. Can they if they want to using this app? Sure, but many don't care.

OTOH, kids do need to learn to read and write and do basic mathematics and while some things can be taught using the computer, kids need to practice some things outside of tablets and computers.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Many states have virtual schools now and students take classes that way.
Funny part though is that the outdated attendance laws apply so the kids still must come to school and take the classes in the computer labs. They can't leave early either. They go to the library and read.
Hmmmm. K-12 virtual school does not require kids to go to a computer lab as far as I know.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,783,139 times
I can see one good thing about homeschooling; less potential crowding of public schools.

But I find it problematic that:

1. An amateur is doing a professional's job, for no pay, and
2. One of the parents has to stay home and out of the paid workforce. Usually the woman.

Why does this seem to be okay with posters here?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,159,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I can see one good thing about homeschooling; less potential crowding of public schools.

2. One of the parents has to stay home and out of the paid workforce. Usually the woman.

Well, because it's no one's business but those in that family unit whether or not both adults are working. If they're good with it, who am I to say otherwise?

As for your first point...well, there really is no point. If I am not paid for educating my child, again, what business is it of yours? And if I, with graduate degrees and no classroom management skills, choose to teach my children...and clearly seem to have done a bang-up job of it since upon ds's decision to attend public high school, he has done sufficiently well to be in the top 1% of his class. Frankly, homeschooling in late elementary and middle school was probably the best thing that happened to my kids. They certainly weren't learning self-motivation and work ethic in their public school classes.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,060,892 times
Quote:

It's up to each individual family to make this decision. It's not okay to make the decision for another family, but... that's not how homeschooling (or stay at home parenting) works anyway.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 AM

1,349 posts, read 951,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Not every kid cares about learning about electronic circuitry. Can they if they want to using this app? Sure, but many don't care.

OTOH, kids do need to learn to read and write and do basic mathematics and while some things can be taught using the computer, kids need to practice some things outside of tablets and computers.
Wasn't trying to say every kid did. Am I supposed to find apps on physics and chemistry and astronomy etc. etc.?

That is just an example.

psik

Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Not all of the parents are *amateurs,* some are even former teachers. Also, it is very different teaching only one or two children rather than a class of 24 to 30.

Sometimes both parents work, but one works from home or does shift work or one parent might work part time or have a flexible schedule at the job. If a family chooses to have ONE parent stay home, why is that not ok? Some parents also trade babysitting or use homeschool co-ops for some of their curriculum.

Homeschooling is so flexible, you can easily fit things in during odd-hours and on weekends. Also, it can be year round so summers would be available.

It's not common, but it can be done.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Not all of the parents are *amateurs,* some are even former teachers. Also, it is very different teaching only one or two children rather than a class of 24 to 30.

Sometimes both parents work, but one works from home or does shift work or one parent might work part time or have a flexible schedule at the job. If a family chooses to have ONE parent stay home, why is that not ok? Some parents also trade babysitting or use homeschool co-ops for some of their curriculum.

Homeschooling is so flexible, you can easily fit things in during odd-hours and on weekends. Also, it can be year round so summers would be available.

It's not common, but it can be done.
And a lot of homeschool parents do put their kids into public/private school by high school.
K-8 is not difficult subject matter to tackle.
Lots of prepackaged programs out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education