U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM

12,454 posts, read 27,069,551 times

Advertisements

Reading and homework are a matter of course at my son's HS for all AP and some honors classes but the parents and the students are well aware of that when they sign up for the classes. I don't think it's right to assign the project in July.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,464,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's not really that odd. The new style of building Principal (and this is being taught in both traditional Administration classes and the various seminars promoted by people like Michelle Rhee) is to consider their teaching staff as interchangeable cogs in the wheel. It doesn't matter what the teacher is good in he/she is put in the schedule spot to fill a hole. That's all.

This will be the third year in a row I won't know what I'm teaching until the first day of pre-service in August. Fully 2/3 of the staff is in that position.

So, in many cases, summer work is assigned by a teacher who will not be teaching that class in the Fall. I know of one teacher on my staff that pertains to already, she gave out the assignment for her AP class and found out 2 days later she is going to an entirely different department (without any certification in the subjects). Some of the rest of the teachers won't be assigned until AP scores come in next week. And people wonder why I stopped teaching AP. And am so cynical.
In our particular district and many of the ones around us, it does not matter who is teaching what....the assignments are identical for each class level. For instance, if you are in AP English III then your summer assignment involves two specific books and a specific report/project. This applies to all the high schools in our district.

In 7th grade this past year for my daughter the entire 7th grade across the district had to read "Truesight" and had to do comparisons in each chapter. We knew the exact book and had the assignment specifics in hand the last week of school during 6th grade. It was due two exactly 2 weeks after school began. If the student lost the info it could be found on the district website, the school website and the website of any teacher teaching that subject in the school (6th - 8th).

It is not a teacher by teacher assignment.

I have two other daughters who are teachers and it is the same in their districts. I have friends with middle/high school aged kids in 4 separate school districts who all have the same situation as well.

So, that is why it is odd to me.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM

32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Your system sounds organized, mine is not except for the MD required High School Assessments. There are system-wide assignments for those at Christmas and Easter.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Reading and homework are a matter of course at my son's HS for all AP and some honors classes but the parents and the students are well aware of that when they sign up for the classes. I don't think it's right to assign the project in July.

This is my point----we could expect and accept extra assignments, but don't just drop it on a person mid-summer, without any warning it was even coming.

Many people already have made committments for that time, thinking they didn't have other obligations, then to have it dropped on them in the middle is just unacceptable!

Ok, I understand many teachers don't even know what class they're teaching until the day before school begins, but just realize you can't just screw another person's life around to fit yours.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 PM

32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Just as a note, professionally I think summer assignments are worthless.

Don't always blame the teacher, sometimes there is dysfunction higher up with different people issuing contrdictory directives or just the plain inability to make a decision, or to stick by a decision once it's made.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,160,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Look summer is almost half through. Just last week, we got an itty bitty card in the mail, almost went with the junk mail, telling her she needs to do a project and turn in the first day of school in the Fall. Like I say, we nearly overlooked it, and the timing is completely inconsiderate. Couldn't they have at least assigned it at the beginning of the summer so students could plan their time around it?
I would guess that it's the requirement for a specific teacher and a specific course, rather than department-wide. In this area, that would still leave two months to do the project. Presumably they have books and the internet in India, as well.
Or don't do it and take the consequences.
It's hard for me to be sympathetic, since we don't do spring or summer breaks when we're homeschooling.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,160,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think it's poor planning. But I don't think it would wreck a summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or