U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:30 PM

180 posts, read 338,749 times

Advertisements

Excellent idea. Maybe not quite a bootcamp, but definitely strict discipline and penalties. The K-12 crowd are not adults and have naive ideas about their goals in life, let alone the willpower to carry them out. Get the parents and politicians, plus special interest groups, out of the schools. Stop worrying about student self-esteem and more about reading & writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,162,042 times
What? lol

Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,266,534 times
[quote=Mircea;19994320]It's an excellent idea and one beyond your comprehension.

Public schools need uniforms and dress standards for hair and jewelry similar to the military.

Yeah, in the army and marines they shave your head and everyone wears the same uniform.

Why?[/quote]

Because when you sign on the dotted line, you have willingly agreed to hand your a$$ over to the US Government, and the US Government therefore owns it and you will do whatever the US Government tells you to.

That's why.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 PM

15,762 posts, read 13,191,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
We should make our public schools like marine corps boot camp because there won't be many @#$! heads in our youth today. Not like the crawling through mud and obstacle course but the way the discipline and punishment like the drill Sargent's instills on their recruits....

What do you think?
I think its as bad or as good as most educational ideas these days.

What goal of boot camp should be a goal of public education?

The major goal of boot camp is to create obedient well trained soldiers. I am not sure obedience is a good thing to be teaching teenagers.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,266,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
We should make our public schools like marine corps boot camp because there won't be many @#$! heads in our youth today. Not like the crawling through mud and obstacle course but the way the discipline and punishment like the drill Sargent's instills on their recruits....

What do you think?

I think it's more of a societal thing that crawling through mud and obstacle courses won't necessarily fix.

Yes, a lot of kids are spoiled rotton; however, my DH (who is in today's military) thinks there are plenty of fresh-from-bootcamp recruits who are @#$! heads, and part of his job is to mentor them into becoming relatively respectable people.

He knows almost instantly who's worthy of his time and who isn't. He's gone to bat for the ones who were, and they've turned out to be great human beings after a little 'education' from the School of Hard Knocks, and the Institute of Quit Being a @#$! head, or You're Out - End of Discussion - Enjoy Your New Job At McDonalds.

I'm not sure that forcing that kind of training onto high schoolers is necessarily a good thing.

I think it depends on the individual kid.

Last edited by cebdark; 07-15-2011 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: added

Old 07-15-2011, 03:56 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,356,382 times
Dang, I'm glad I'm out of school because I would look like poop in that whitewall haircut.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:13 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,525,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliadh View Post
That is overdoing it, but students should face real consequences (not detention or a call home) for wasting tax dollars with truancy, vandalism, or interfering with classroom learning.
One word: Parents.

They're the one who need to be held responsible. They expect the schools to do their work for them.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:15 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,525,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Excellent idea. Maybe not quite a bootcamp, but definitely strict discipline and penalties. The K-12 crowd are not adults and have naive ideas about their goals in life, let alone the willpower to carry them out. Get the parents and politicians, plus special interest groups, out of the schools. Stop worrying about student self-esteem and more about reading & writing.
You need the parents involved in the school. Good parents will create good students. That is the biggest problem these days.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:22 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,816,007 times
No. Not all kids need the same degree of discipline. Those who already DON'T need this level of discipline would be actually harmed by this. They'd essentially live in fear of authority figures, which is not exactly conductive to learning. Punish the guilty, not the innocent, and there are plenty of those who are innocent.

However, I do think that parents must be held much more accountable for their children's actions. Whether it's misbehaving or poor academic performance, the parents should be accountable.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:46 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
I think it would make sense to have a normal, congenial school environment, and those students who rock the boat or disrupt the educational scenery get transferred to a school with boot camp characteristics. It would make no sense to put diligent students who behave them selves in a boot camp environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or