U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Nevada side of Lake Tahoe
4,902 posts, read 2,957,073 times
Reputation: 3171

Advertisements

We should make our public schools like marine corps boot camp because there won't be many @#$! heads in our youth today. Not like the crawling through mud and obstacle course but the way the discipline and punishment like the drill Sargent's instills on their recruits....

What do you think?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-14-2011 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
 
874 posts, read 1,349,168 times
Reputation: 788
Just do that after I transfer and graduate from public school next year. lol

I think they should discipline them more if they get bad grades. For example, if they get a D or two C's then they should have to go to tutoring. I wouldn't know how it is now though, but maybe yelling at their students would work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 12:22 AM
 
1,248 posts, read 1,833,124 times
Reputation: 1237
I think the goals of a high school and that of the USMC are worlds apart. Worst idea I have probably ever seen on the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 AM
 
1,657 posts, read 2,994,411 times
Reputation: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
We should make our public schools like marine corps boot camp because there won't be many @#$! heads in our youth today. Not like the crawling through mud and obstacle course but the way the discipline and punishment like the drill Sargents instills on their recruits....

What do you think?
Uh, isn't it pretty close to that now !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Ohio
17,998 posts, read 13,238,246 times
Reputation: 13781
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
I think the goals of a high school and that of the USMC are worlds apart. Worst idea I have probably ever seen on the site.
It's an excellent idea and one beyond your comprehension.

Public schools need uniforms and dress standards for hair and jewelry similar to the military.

Yeah, in the army and marines they shave your head and everyone wears the same uniform.

Why?

Because who you were is irrelevant. Nobody cares if your daddy is rich or you were Billy Badass back on the block. What matters now is who you are, and you are one INDIVIDUAL learning how to function in a GROUP.

You will learn structure and organization, and strict attention to detail.

Why?

Because it will save your life on the battlefield and in the civilian world. Those little things that people over-look because they aren't skilled in attention to detail, like leaving the oven on, burners on, the iron on, not seeing the bulge or bald spot on your tire etc etc etc is what causes accidents and maims and kills others.

Since everyone looks and dresses alike, there's little point in focusing on stupid stuff and more attention is directed to learning and absorbing what is learned.

There's mutual respect for others, in large part because it's purely a merit system instead of handouts, and some will emerge as leaders, some as followers and some who can lead or follow.

Maybe you'll figure it out one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 AM
 
1,248 posts, read 1,833,124 times
Reputation: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's an excellent idea and one beyond your comprehension.

Public schools need uniforms and dress standards for hair and jewelry similar to the military.

Yeah, in the army and marines they shave your head and everyone wears the same uniform.

Why?

Because who you were is irrelevant. Nobody cares if your daddy is rich or you were Billy Badass back on the block. What matters now is who you are, and you are one INDIVIDUAL learning how to function in a GROUP.

You will learn structure and organization, and strict attention to detail.

Why?

Because it will save your life on the battlefield and in the civilian world. Those little things that people over-look because they aren't skilled in attention to detail, like leaving the oven on, burners on, the iron on, not seeing the bulge or bald spot on your tire etc etc etc is what causes accidents and maims and kills others.

Since everyone looks and dresses alike, there's little point in focusing on stupid stuff and more attention is directed to learning and absorbing what is learned.

There's mutual respect for others, in large part because it's purely a merit system instead of handouts, and some will emerge as leaders, some as followers and some who can lead or follow.

Maybe you'll figure it out one day.

I've worked in education and the military and they are not the same. That isn't to say anything negative about the DIs(notice how the OP missed? At least I know the difference between the Army and the USMC) or the teachers, but becoming a Marine and becoming someone with a secondary level of education are two different things. You go into your screed about how the individual is irrelevant in school, it should all be like the military, blah, blah, blah...well, a student is not responsible for educating other students and the consequences are not shared like they are in war. If student A studies hard and learns well while student B slacks off and learns nothing, they get different grades. A child or teenager needs responsibility but that needs to be focusing on becoming a free, educated individual; not obedient warriors. Yes, the slogan "What you don't know will hurt you, it will kill you" is great, focus and attention are important to anyone who wants to be responsible but if one is actually at risk from leaving the oven or iron on and the like, then one is simply hard-headed. And there are people trying to ice-skate uphill in both the civilian world and the military. Ditto people focusing on stupid stuff. What's your point, besides the classy ad hom?

BTW, in the civilian world, things like nepotism and corruption are rampant. Meritocracy is a myth(even in the military, which is very political).


Maybe you should reconsider being so patronizing and prejudicial about people you know nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Public schools ARE like marine boot camps. In North Korea.

This is not North Korea. Yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 07:43 PM
 
39 posts, read 85,439 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
We should make our public schools like marine corps boot camp because there won't be many @#$! heads in our youth today. Not like the crawling through mud and obstacle course but the way the discipline and punishment like the drill Sargents instills on their recruits....

What do you think?
That is overdoing it, but students should face real consequences (not detention or a call home) for wasting tax dollars with truancy, vandalism, or interfering with classroom learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 PM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,554 posts, read 22,715,248 times
Reputation: 7625
They are somewhat similar---

Bad attitudes from admin

Bad food

Need permission to use restroom

and there is the occasional gunfight...

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-14-2011 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: fixed typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,469 posts, read 6,160,640 times
Reputation: 3481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
We should make our public schools like marine corps boot camp because there won't be many @#$! heads in our youth today. Not like the crawling through mud and obstacle course but the way the discipline and punishment like the drill Sargent's instills on their recruits....

What do you think?
I think draconian responses to oversimplified descriptions of real problems usually don't work very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top