Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't know the answer because I'm not more than superficially familiar with the education system in other nations. Plus, I don't want to be "like Japan" or "like Germany". We're a different country with different traditions.

But just out of curiosity, if they have so much less testing, how are we sure how well they are doing?
You beat me to it! As I have learned in my own profession (health care) it is very difficult to make comparisons between countries for many reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 12:26 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
I don't know the answer because I'm not more than superficially familiar with the education system in other nations. Plus, I don't want to be "like Japan" or "like Germany". We're a different country with different traditions.

But just out of curiosity, if they have so much less testing, how are we sure how well they are doing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You beat me to it! As I have learned in my own profession (health care) it is very difficult to make comparisons between countries for many reasons.
Good points! You can't compare without similar tests. But even with similar tests, there are still too many other variables. For example, in PA, many parents are holding their child out of the PSSA tests. These are the standardized tests administered in PA public schools in grades 3-8. How valid are the comparisons if one school has 100% participation and another school has 50% participation? How do you know that certain students are not being encouraged not to take the test?

Regarding comparisons, we compare countries, but how reliable and valid are state comparisons? It seems like a good idea to have competition among states but is it possible?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:51 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Good points! You can't compare without similar tests. But even with similar tests, there are still too many other variables. For example, in PA, many parents are holding their child out of the PSSA tests. These are the standardized tests administered in PA public schools in grades 3-8. How valid are the comparisons if one school has 100% participation and another school has 50% participation? How do you know that certain students are not being encouraged not to take the test?

Regarding comparisons, we compare countries, but how reliable and valid are state comparisons? It seems like a good idea to have competition among states but is it possible?
Why is it about competition?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
For those wondering how you can measure international student achievement, check out PISA and TIMMS.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Why is it about competition?
Doesn't competition motivate people to do a better job, regardless or whether it is a student, teacher, athlete, coach, etc.? As a coach, why would I look for better coach techniques and strategies if I wasn't competing against other teams?

I've probably told this story on here before but in my 8th grade history class, the teacher rearranged our desks after every 6 week grading period. We were seated according to our grade for the previous report card with the highest grade in the first seat in the first row, all the way to the lowest grade in the last seat in the last row. It motivated me to study for each test and get the first seat or at least one in the first row.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Doesn't competition motivate people to do a better job, regardless or whether it is a student, teacher, athlete, coach, etc.? As a coach, why would I look for better coach techniques and strategies if I wasn't competing against other teams?

I've probably told this story on here before but in my 8th grade history class, the teacher rearranged our desks after every 6 week grading period. We were seated according to our grade for the previous report card with the highest grade in the first seat in the first row, all the way to the lowest grade in the last seat in the last row. It motivated me to study for each test and get the first seat or at least one in the first row.
No, I don't agree that competition is the answer to everything.

And to be honest, the students who are struggling the most ought to be in the front of the classroom.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
No, I don't agree that competition is the answer to everything.

And to be honest, the students who are struggling the most ought to be in the front of the classroom.
That was 1968, that type of thing would not be acceptable today. It would be an invasion of a student's privacy.

If you're against competition, what would you do to improve education?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
That was 1968, that type of thing would not be acceptable today. It would be an invasion of a student's privacy.

If you're against competition, what would you do to improve education?
No, it wouldn't be an invasion of student privacy.

Adherence to standards.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
so im in jiffy lube the other day and i overhear the employee telling a lady that her friend's husband got arrested the other night at parent teacher conference. she said that his 5th grade daughter was reading at a Kindergarten level and hearing that caused him to flip out and turn over a chair. she said he was so mad because nobody told him about his daughter being so behind until then. im thinking, what the hell is she talking about. even if you are not a particularly involved parent; there are the standardized MAP tests that the kids have been taking since 1st grade (maybe Kindergarten). just from that you should have a good idea where your kid stands. i dont know how anyone can dislike tests. this guy was obviously a total moron on top of being a bad parent.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
For those wondering how you can measure international student achievement, check out PISA and TIMMS.
Again you don't know how another country finagles scores, or even just defines things differently. The US tests all kids, some countries just test a subset, some don't do special ed kids, etc.

You have to look at NAEP for comparisons across the US.
https://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/about/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education