Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 03:58 PM

75 posts, read 54,518 times

Advertisements

I remember in HS we had to dissect a frog and we were put in teams, the girl I was teamed up with threw up lol. Didn't really bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 04:48 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
The only problem we had was the samples had been in formaldehyde so long, the organs had dissolved into a black goo. You couldn't pick out anything.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
No. But I went on to nursing school where it went beyond frogs.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:54 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
In college, I had to dissect a cat. I was horrified and couldn't do it, so my lab partner kindly did it for me. I've been grateful to her for that ever since. After lab, I went home and couldn't look my own cat in the eye.

In grade school, I had to dissect a tapeworm. Mom made spaghetti for dinner that night and I refused to eat it, picturing a tapeworm covered in spaghetti sauce.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:05 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
OMG YES. Loved biology... until it came to killing the frog and dissecting the cat.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:38 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
YES -- I had a choice of either dissecting the frog or taking a full letter grade cut. I took the letter grade cut.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I LOVED the frog dissection, and learned a very valuable lesson. The insides of frogs don't look alike. Their organs look different - some organs bigger than other individual frog's organs, some in slightly different places. It's the system that works, and they are all approximations on the mean, none are the standard by which all are measured. Also, my frog had a tiny baby horny toad in its belly, belying the story we were told that they were lab raised and not live caught. ;D

The next step we moved on to was fetal pigs, and there was a metal trash can lined with black plastic in which fetal pigs sat stewing in formaldehyde. This was shortly after abortion was legalized and we were all very attuned to how human fetuses appeared, and these things look so very similar. Also the images of human fetuses in garbage cans was jarringly similar.

The garbage can with the pig fetuses was gone the next day, and was never spoken of again. Because, nope. Too soon.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:14 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
No, it was more a problem with smell of formaldehyde. Dissecting frogs was harmless but made me wonder about the old saying that frog legs taste like chicken.

We were lucky as a science classmate family had a farm and we also got a few 'portions' of other animals to investigate scientifically. A sheep's head is one I remember but the instructor did most of the work of course to illustrate various components. I recall examining the gelatinous eyeballs of a cow in a separate container.

There is an aspect of psychology involved in compartmentalizing and disassociating the critters from any pets i.e the cat dissection. Although I do recall going to our historic market as a youth and upon seeing the skinned rabbits noting how they anatomically look very similar to cats without fur!

We had a running gag growing up whenever some dinner time meal was seemingly 'sketchy' to recite the line from classic Warner Brothers Bugs Bunny cartoon, - when Bugs mistakenly takes the abandoned Hoboken Penguin all the way to the south pole and along the way in the train box car they encounter the hungry hobo who states emphatically after gazing upon the penguin that "Pengoo-ins is practically chickenz"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxEN0RXzyuY

Old 11-06-2018, 06:27 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
answer:
no.

dissection in biology class was no different (to me) than:

1. butchering livestock.
2. cleaning wild game.
3. making the girls squeal.

besides, i LIKE frog legs and bacon and.....

Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,560,059 times
Aside from the chemical smells of the creatures we were dissecting, i found dissections to be fascinating. Then again, I was a kid who loved to watch reruns of "Quincy: ME."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education