U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,285,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Can he follow 2-3 step directions (hang up your coat then go put your shoes in the box), can he sit and focus on a story being read for a reasonable amount of time, does he have self-control that is age appropriate--can he sit next to another child without having to poke that child or talk constantly to that child.
This. I just finished up my masters with several kindergarten teachers, and these are the things they stress for kindergarten readiness.

The children who struggle are often the ones whose parents were so overwhelmed (with work, babies, household tasks) that they did everything for the child because it was "faster" or "easier" that way. Start having your son help you make dinner, set the table, do multi-step tasks. Teach him impulse control and patience.

The academic skills come much faster when the foundation is there for learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,614,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Noel View Post
He knows his ABC's saying them writing them and picking them out when u ask him. He can count up to 14 with no problem and can write some of his numbers. He can Write his first middle and last name. know his pleases and thank yous and can talk very well and uses big words properly. knows how to dress himself and put his shoes on the right feet and eats with his forks and spoons and shares pretty well and listens pretty good. I just need to know if theres anything else he should learn before starting kindergarden please get back to me with ur answers thank you
Like others have indicated it would be best to wait another year. Elementary school can be a "boy unfriendly place." I say this if only because I've observed many examples of gender bias at the hands of female teachers. I say this as a male elementary teacher. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 5,106,164 times
Even I'd he can handle it now, I would say proceed with caution. I agree with the person upthread who said it can catch up with them later. There are certain ages where kids tend to take developmental leaps in social maturity (I think one happens in the 3rd grade???) and sometimes kids who are on the younger end of the age range can fall out of step with their peers.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 PM

84,964 posts, read 98,795,031 times
There is an active thread on the parenting forum about this. I just found this article about "redshirting" kids. You might find it interesting. Most of the benefits are gone by 3rd grade.

Leaving a Child Behind Before Kindergarten (http://www.ncld.org/at-school/general-topics/early-learning-aamp-literacy/leaving-a-child-behind-before-kindergarten - broken link)

Some studies report that in the short run, redshirting can boost a child's confidence, improve academic learning, increase success with social interactions, and perhaps even boost popularity among peers. But the long term benefits of redshirting are not clear, and by third grade, there is no discernable difference between those children who had a late school start and those who did not.

When compared to their non-retained peers, children who were retained before kindergarten were sixty-six percent more likely to receive negative feedback from teachers during their later school years.

Students who are more than a year older than their classmates are more likely to drop out of high school.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is an active thread on the parenting forum about this. I just found this article about "redshirting" kids. You might find it interesting. Most of the benefits are gone by 3rd grade.

Leaving a Child Behind Before Kindergarten (http://www.ncld.org/at-school/general-topics/early-learning-aamp-literacy/leaving-a-child-behind-before-kindergarten - broken link)

Some studies report that in the short run, redshirting can boost a child's confidence, improve academic learning, increase success with social interactions, and perhaps even boost popularity among peers. But the long term benefits of redshirting are not clear, and by third grade, there is no discernable difference between those children who had a late school start and those who did not.

When compared to their non-retained peers, children who were retained before kindergarten were sixty-six percent more likely to receive negative feedback from teachers during their later school years.

Students who are more than a year older than their classmates are more likely to drop out of high school.
But kids that are close to a cut off date are NOT "more than" a year older, they are the same age as the oldest kids in the class. Also, this does NOT hold true for kids with delays. These studies are done on kids that are average or better. From personal experience, kids that are far behind their peers will take a lot more grief and have a lot harder time ALL through school. For kids that are not ready for school, it will do them MUCH more harm to start early than it ever will to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education