U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:02 PM

67 posts, read 92,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
An iPad doesn't have any more inherent capability than a netbook. It is just cooler. Further, a netbook is FAR more practical to type on, so students could have their textbooks, essays, and class notes all in one place.
You can do the SAME on an iPad. Pages is out for the iPhone/iPad. Microsoft even has OneNote on the iPhone/iPad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 02:28 PM

12,455 posts, read 27,097,479 times
So if you can do the same things on iPads as on a netbook, why spend hundreds more for an iPad?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:12 AM

455 posts, read 1,081,056 times
The tablet computer is so beneficial to the classroom, its not even funny. Last semester I was taking a class and I used my motorola xoom in the class. Works wonders.

I was able to record the entire lecture and take pictures of anything written on the board.

I had the pdf version of the textbook on my xoom so I could easily use my xoom to replace the textbook.

If I needed to look something up I had instant access to google to do all my research (this is is an insanely useful function). Unlike a laptop, a tablet is on standby so it takes less than 1 second to start it up and about 2 seconds to go to google (there is a search bar on the desktop).

If I needed to type something up I had a bluetooth keyboard in my backpack to easily type stuff up.

Also there are well over 200k apps on the android market so I could download tons of additional apps such as a ruler or calculator.

You don't understand how useful the tablet is until you've used it. It makes everything so much easier.

Its also pretty cool to be video talking with someone before class.

Quote:
So if you can do the same things on iPads as on a netbook, why spend hundreds more for an iPad?
Its not the same. With a tablet you can easily carry it around. The 7 inch tablets can fit in your pocket. The tablet has GPS, your netbook does not. Your tablet has 3g/4g, your netbook does not. The touch screen function makes it very easy and quick to use. My xoom has a voice activated google search so you can just speak into the xoom to search google. Its way cool. My tablet is so useful I carry it around everywhere, almost like a cell phone. Plus the interesting thing about the tablet is that its cheap for a new device. When computers came out they cost thousands. 500$ as the entry point for an ipad is cheap. After maybe 5 years, you'll be able to get a new tablet for 200-300$. I wouldn't be surprised to see some for 100-150$.

Quote:
It seems as if districts would even be able to save money if they went to netbooks or e-readers instead of textbooks. With GPS locators and remote kill-switches, the devices are useless if stolen and relatively inexpensive if lost. The typical student at our school is issued between $300 and $500 worth of books every year. If they are lost, that's much more than a netbook.
good point. I am just waiting for the day when a new tablet is only 100-200$. At that point, everyone will have one, just like a cell phone.

Quote:
An iPad doesn't have any more inherent capability than a netbook. It is just cooler. Further, a netbook is FAR more practical to type on, so students could have their textbooks, essays, and class notes all in one place.
I have a foldable bluetooth keyboard for my xoom tablet. It fits in my pocket. Its about the same size as a netbook keyboard when its unfolded. It works great.

Quote:
"Improve" education by giving a struggling kid an ipad...and at the end of the year, if all else remained equal, he will still have the same chicken brain and fail algebra.

Real education requires real disciplined effort that isn't always fun. Real education requires active involvement and support from parents as well as teachers. If these things are not addressed, then shelling out cash to give the kid the latest doodad gadget is ultimately a waste that will not move the needle on student achievement.
With everything, you can use technology for good or you can use it for entertainment/non sense. I have a tablet and I can tell you for a fact that it is INCREDIBLY useful in the classroom. With everything that a tablet can do I definitely think that tablet computers will REVOLUTIONIZE the way people learn. Just like the internet has done.

Last edited by a34dadsf; 07-31-2011 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,097,479 times
The OP is not talking about tablets in general, it's talking about iPads. I think that anything that improves a students comprehension is admirable, I'm just not sure that's what happening.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,235,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Very true. Apple applications are all style and no substance.
I disagree. Apple's "insubstantial" applications have allowed me to use a computer as a visually impaired, blind, and deaf-blind user--all without paying an extra dime for software. I can do everything you can do on the computer except for look at pictures and watch videos, and it's thanks to Apple I can do that for the same price as you.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 AM

3,225 posts, read 6,127,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Flock Of Budgies View Post
As a teacher I see iPads as fantastic for the classroom with digital textbooks that can be updated regularly. I can't stand it when I walk in a classroom and see textbooks that are over 5-10 years old. Plus, it would lighten the load in students' backpacks with no excuse for not brining their textbook to class.

The money school districts would save in the long run from buying way-too-damn-expensive physical textbooks would be a blessing in disguise.

The iPad is a status symbol? Gee... I guess I better not get one to make my teaching life so much easier. Never mind the iPod touch I want to get to control Keynote presentations from my MacBook.
If the students can't learn 5-10 year old material from a textbook, how will giving them a different form of technology to learn new material be any different?

Don't you think they'll still use the sorry excuse "I-forgot-my-Ipad-at-home"?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,235,538 times
I don't have an iPad but my dad does and he lent it to me once for school and I found it to be very useful. Honestly, apart from not having a physical keyboard, I don't see how it's any different from a laptop. The only thing I don't like is that it's not as small as the iPhone, so it's kind of like a less-portable version of the iPhone. In that regard, I prefer the iPhone. I suppose the main advantage is that the screen is larger, which is a plus for most people.

That said, my iPhone has completely changed my life. I use my iPhone all the time to check my email, get online, access my class notes, etc. I can check the bus schedule when I'm waiting for the bus and I can use the color identifier to pick out my clothes. I can record my class lectures or any other information I need. It has all sorts of useful apps that used to cost blind people tons of money, but that are now all available for free thanks to my iPhone, and the are all packed into one device instead of having to have separate devices for each task.

I am going to be getting e-books for school in the fall and both my laptop and iPhone will help me access those. I imagine for students who use e-books, carrying around an iPad would be much less bulky than carrying around paper textbooks, whether inkprint or braille.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,995,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I imagine for students who use e-books, carrying around an iPad would be much less bulky than carrying around paper textbooks.
For that reason alone I think it's a good idea. I used to leave my books in my locker in middle school and high school, rather than carry them around - and I was an A student - but those textbooks were too heavy!

Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 AM

346 posts, read 428,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
The tablet computer is so beneficial to the classroom, its not even funny. Last semester I was taking a class and I used my motorola xoom in the class. Works wonders.

I was able to record the entire lecture and take pictures of anything written on the board.

I had the pdf version of the textbook on my xoom so I could easily use my xoom to replace the textbook.

If I needed to look something up I had instant access to google to do all my research (this is is an insanely useful function). Unlike a laptop, a tablet is on standby so it takes less than 1 second to start it up and about 2 seconds to go to google (there is a search bar on the desktop).

If I needed to type something up I had a bluetooth keyboard in my backpack to easily type stuff up.

Also there are well over 200k apps on the android market so I could download tons of additional apps such as a ruler or calculator.

You don't understand how useful the tablet is until you've used it. It makes everything so much easier.

Its also pretty cool to be video talking with someone before class.

Its not the same. With a tablet you can easily carry it around. The 7 inch tablets can fit in your pocket. The tablet has GPS, your netbook does not. Your tablet has 3g/4g, your netbook does not. The touch screen function makes it very easy and quick to use. My xoom has a voice activated google search so you can just speak into the xoom to search google. Its way cool. My tablet is so useful I carry it around everywhere, almost like a cell phone. Plus the interesting thing about the tablet is that its cheap for a new device. When computers came out they cost thousands. 500$ as the entry point for an ipad is cheap. After maybe 5 years, you'll be able to get a new tablet for 200-300$. I wouldn't be surprised to see some for 100-150$.

good point. I am just waiting for the day when a new tablet is only 100-200$. At that point, everyone will have one, just like a cell phone.

I have a foldable bluetooth keyboard for my xoom tablet. It fits in my pocket. Its about the same size as a netbook keyboard when its unfolded. It works great.

With everything, you can use technology for good or you can use it for entertainment/non sense. I have a tablet and I can tell you for a fact that it is INCREDIBLY useful in the classroom. With everything that a tablet can do I definitely think that tablet computers will REVOLUTIONIZE the way people learn. Just like the internet has done.
Well Said!
We have a local private school that has decided all students get issued an ipad to replace text books. It is probably cost effective in the long run, like some one else said, instantly update the material without shelling out money for an entire text.
My only question was, how do you keep the kids from putting "entertainment" on the ipad? My son would be playing angry birds the entire time, not reading his text books. LOL

Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 AM

15,304 posts, read 16,863,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2helping View Post
Well Said!
We have a local private school that has decided all students get issued an ipad to replace text books. It is probably cost effective in the long run, like some one else said, instantly update the material without shelling out money for an entire text.
My only question was, how do you keep the kids from putting "entertainment" on the ipad? My son would be playing angry birds the entire time, not reading his text books. LOL
You can password the apps download page, I think. Not a very strong password though and the kid might figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or