U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:28 PM

57 posts, read 85,763 times

Advertisements

Ok so i just watched the Dr. Phil show and he is wanting educators and administrators to step up and take a stand on cyberbullying. My stance on this is that teachers already have enough on their plate as it is. If little johnny is getting cyber bullied on a saturday night, is it really the schools problem? What i think is funny is that parents complain to the school and expect the school to do something about it when they can just go the source(the other kids parents) and the problem would be solved! So is it fair to involve the schools?

On a hunch i asked my roommate who has kids, he said that teachers should report any kind of cyberbullying and other things that students do even outside of school. I totally disagreed with this. I feel that teachers are teachers until they leave the campus. That person has their own life to go home to outside of work. Oh well, just wanted an opinion. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,538,161 times
No. Leave it to the parents and police.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,566,325 times
Agreed with maja. Schools have enough to deal with and experience has shown that they have very little power wrt bullying b/c they are hindered by so many laws from getting involved or disciplining in any real way.

If and when bullying happens on school grounds, then schools have jurisdiction to step in. However, on the internet, no jurisdiction. The best thing to do is to call the police b/c harassment is illegal at any age. Not to mention that bullies usually back down when an officer shows up on their doorstep and informs them (and their parents) what will happen if they persist. The police are always the best resource to combat bullying; in fact, that's why we pay their salaries: to keep the peace and ensure civility vs. escalation and/or vigilante justice.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 AM

33,835 posts, read 41,911,495 times
The problem is that what happens on social media many times gets carried to school the next day where we then have to deal with it.

We probably had at least 2 dozen fights, mostly girls, this past year that were directly tied in with what someone posted on Facebook or somewhere else.

Some students also put together a school **** page detailing the various activities that the girls named would do. That was a group effort that included both boys and girls.

One student, a senior, was convincing the 9th grade girls to send him, mostly through texting, naked pictures of themselves which he then posted on various internet sites.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,339 times
I agree with North Beach Person; the schools only should be providing the best quality education they can, and if cyberbullying begins tormenting students' lives during school or there is shown to be evidence that the school is not attempting to even discourage something linked to the cyberbullying that occured (fights, derogatory comments, ect), thus causing a disruption in learning, then the school should do something. They should only go that far though.

I also compeletly disagree that schools should make it their problem even when a student is outside school. Doing so is stretching their time and budget, which is hurting other students' education. To say otherwise is ignoring other kids.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 AM

12,605 posts, read 28,027,153 times
Our school district has been working for at least 10 years to minimize bullying and cyberbulling. There are programs out there for school districts.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,895,551 times
If a teacher knows of abuse or possible criminal activity, they need to speak up. Yes, they are not teachers 24/7 but they have a responsibility to not stay silent when they know of harm to a student. Going to the parents would rarely solve the problem, since parents who allow their children to act like little sociopaths are inept at parenting. The school doesn't have the power or place to police but they should at least report illegal activities and discourage cyberbullying.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM

33,835 posts, read 41,911,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
If a teacher knows of abuse or possible criminal activity, they need to speak up. Yes, they are not teachers 24/7 but they have a responsibility to not stay silent when they know of harm to a student. Going to the parents would rarely solve the problem, since parents who allow their children to act like little sociopaths are inept at parenting. The school doesn't have the power or place to police but they should at least report illegal activities and discourage cyberbullying.

That's already the law and has been for years.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM

624 posts, read 1,074,543 times
Put boxing gloves on them and give them a mouthpiece. This could be a new reality TV show.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM

29 posts, read 40,268 times
wait wait ...let me make sure i got this right..so if a teacher sees a child doing something..even OUTSIDE of school property and not DURING school hours they have to report them?

My roommate and i had a discussion on this that if i went to a club and a 16 year old student snuck in, would i report them. I told him look if they snuck in, its not my job to stop what i am doing just to go play tattle tale on a student...so i told him i would do nothing. The only things i know that teachers have to report is child molestation and/or domestic violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or