U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM

458 posts, read 631,854 times

Advertisements

How much should teachers' involvement in before/after school activities factor in their evaluations? Should teachers be penalized for having minimal involvement in activities outside their classrooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,942,870 times
They count here in NC. The newest rubric has several out of classroom standards including committe participation.

It's not a great percentage.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:31 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,771,458 times
They shouldn't but they do. Because I have lab preps, I do as little as possible outside of the classroom. I really can't commit to anything before/after school so I help at football games and dances when I can. Maybe in a few years, if I'm still here, I'll do something but, for now, it's all I can do to keep up on what I need to do to teach.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:51 PM

33,934 posts, read 42,206,558 times
The new evaluation that MSDE is cramming down our throats has a percentage of the evaluation based on activity sponsorship. This is separate from the committee category.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM

25,084 posts, read 14,292,945 times
I think teachers have enough to do in the classroom. However I understand their job is not limited to the classroom, so I suppose it is fair to evaluate that portion of the job too.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 3,818 times
I teach in a district that really emphasizes test scores, or "achievement," so if a teacher tutors after school and their students test scores are higher because of that then great. But if another teacher can get the same test scores without doing anything after school, then they are viewed equally on the achievement rubric which determines pay.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 AM

31 posts, read 45,745 times
I don't think we should. Some of us have a life outside of work and want to go home to our families. Why should we be penalized for that? They just officially extended our work day (I already worked those hours, so no biggie to me) so now we work 8.5 hours a day with a 30 minute lunch. That's a 40-hr work week right there. When you start requiring us to work more than that to sponsor clubs and teams as part of our evaluations, I think that is wrong. Yet, I know it is done.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:29 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,481,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie On View Post
I don't think we should. Some of us have a life outside of work and want to go home to our families. Why should we be penalized for that? They just officially extended our work day (I already worked those hours, so no biggie to me) so now we work 8.5 hours a day with a 30 minute lunch. That's a 40-hr work week right there. When you start requiring us to work more than that to sponsor clubs and teams as part of our evaluations, I think that is wrong. Yet, I know it is done.
I don't think it's really penalizing.... it's not like they dock your pay if you don't work additional activities. I think it's fair that teachers who choose to go the extra mile be rewarded. After-school activities are one way to go the extra mile.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:02 PM

33,934 posts, read 42,206,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think it's really penalizing.... it's not like they dock your pay if you don't work additional activities. I think it's fair that teachers who choose to go the extra mile be rewarded. After-school activities are one way to go the extra mile.

Reward? Most after school activities, sponsorships are paid. What's being implemented is the teacher evaluation be partially based on participation in sponsorship. Evaluations generally don't mean more money or any other reward past retention.

The reality is that many schools don't have enough activities to have each staff member assigned. Plus, and many people outside education don't realize this, in many systems the membership in committees has grown exponentially. I was out of the classroom last year 18 days for meetings for the 3 committees of which I'm a member. That's not counting the 4 days I was at another school on a Middle States visitation (also required), the 8 or 9 sick days (real unusual for me) I took or the 4 days I was doing AP testing.

And I'm not unusual, several of my colleagues will be out 1 or 2 days every week for meetings. Administrators are even worse, especially when you have ones that volunteer for every committee so they won't have to go to the school.

None of the above count the required collaborative planning, staff or department meetings.

And you know what, with only a couple exceptions, every meeting I went to last year was worthless.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:14 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,481,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Reward? Most after school activities, sponsorships are paid. What's being implemented is the teacher evaluation be partially based on participation in sponsorship. Evaluations generally don't mean more money or any other reward past retention.

The reality is that many schools don't have enough activities to have each staff member assigned. Plus, and many people outside education don't realize this, in many systems the membership in committees has grown exponentially. I was out of the classroom last year 18 days for meetings for the 3 committees of which I'm a member. That's not counting the 4 days I was at another school on a Middle States visitation (also required), the 8 or 9 sick days (real unusual for me) I took or the 4 days I was doing AP testing.

And I'm not unusual, several of my colleagues will be out 1 or 2 days every week for meetings. Administrators are even worse, especially when you have ones that volunteer for every committee so they won't have to go to the school.

None of the above count the required collaborative planning, staff or department meetings.

And you know what, with only a couple exceptions, every meeting I went to last year was worthless.
I see. The system is flawed. I didn't realize there is additional pay for after school activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or