U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,708,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
August 24 for teachers, August 29th for students. One day (Labor Day) off until Thanksgiving vacation. The longest, toughest stretch of the school year.
Christmas to Spring break is longer. They really need to bring back mid winter break in years when Easter is in April. Dd#2's school has a mid winter break but my school and dd#1's school doesn't. We just get president's day off.

This year, I don't know why they don't take 4 days off of Christmas break and add it to the week of president's day and give us a week off in February. I really don't need to be off of school until the 9th of January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 AM

15,290 posts, read 16,839,007 times
Our teachers go back August 15 and kids go back August 22. It looks like this is decreed state wide. When we moved here, I was surprised by the fact that the kids get an entire week for Thanksgiving. We always had just 3 days for that in Chicago. Of course, I was surprised by the Mardi Gras vacation that our kids had in Louisiana too. In Metairie, they only had 2 days off for Thanksgiving, then had 3 days off for Mardi Gras. I looked up their calendar for this year and their teachers start back August 9th with students starting on August 15th. This appears to be by Parish (county) with different Parishes starting on different dates although all close to that week.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,907,695 times
We go back a week later this year due to budget cuts. Teachers go back August 8, students on the 12th. One year the teachers reported on August 1st. That was rough.

We do get Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday off. That's two weeks after we go back after Christmas. Spring break is the second week in March, at the end of the third semester. The past two years we had no break at Easter due to snow and tornadoes. Our last day is the last week of May, with graduation usually the end of May or the beginning of June.

If I were a student with family in the North and the South, I would begin school after Labor Day, and then arrange to transfer to the South in order to get out in May. As it is, we have a lot of students who wait until after Labor Day to enroll, which means that they miss almost a month of school.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM

32,114 posts, read 39,184,670 times
I refuse to answer this question at this time. I still know what day and date it is.

Got an email today informing me that as a member of the "Leadership Team" I am expected to report 3 days before the teachers (no pay) who report a week before the students.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:00 PM

7,893 posts, read 12,146,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I refuse to answer this question at this time. I still know what day and date it is.

Got an email today informing me that as a member of the "Leadership Team" I am expected to report 3 days before the teachers (no pay) who report a week before the students.
I think I would be conveniently "out of town" during those three days.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 PM

7,893 posts, read 12,146,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I really don't need to be off of school until the 9th of January.
That is a long break! Too long. Ours starts Dec. 23rd and we return on Jan. 2.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM

32,114 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I think I would be conveniently "out of town" during those three days.

After I opened the email I scheduled the 6 month followup after the prostate biopsy I had for one of the days. So, I would rather go to the Butt Doctor than sit in worthless meetings.

Still working on the other two.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,708,331 times
Quote:
We, usually, have two weeks but if the holidays are on the weekends there is no need for that. If they're giving us two weeks, I'd rather have the week before Christmas off. We have school on the 23rd then are off until the 9th. As I said, I'd rather go back on the 3rd (or have the 23rd off and go back on the 2nd) and then have a week in February instead of a three day weekend. It's going to be a long stretch from Christmas to Easter.

One thing I miss about being in industry is if we had a long stretch between holidays I could just use a week's vacation and make my own break.

And while I'm at it, the summers are too long too. I am SO ready to go back. Six weeks off is plenty. Of course if it was all that I had, I'd spend the last three prepping for next year.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,976 times
In my district teachers are back this week, and the kids start this Monday (Aug 1). In the neighboring districts, teachers start next week, and the kids start Monday, Aug 8. I'm in GA.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,907,695 times
Quote:
Better too long than too short. For many families, it is a rare chance to be together. I've only been able to spend one Christmas with my family abroad in 25 years, mainly because of scheduling conflicts. There's no way I could do it in that time frame. In 2008, we got out on the 19th and went back on the 4th. That was just about right. I came back on the 2nd, and had a chance to get ready before going back.

The summer break completely conflicts with that of our overseas cousins. They don't get out until July 20 and they go back in the middle of September. They get a week off in the middle of each of three terms, with three week breaks in between. So they aren't getting out until almost time for us to go back. As a result, our kids never really got to enjoy a proper holiday with their cousins the way that I did when I was a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education