U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 PM

3,082 posts, read 6,423,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I was not aware that there was some specific date before which Texas schools cannot start.

Our time off is
Labor Day (inservice for teachers)
October 10 (staff development)
1 week at Thanksgiving
2 weeks for Christmas (includes Jan 2 as a workday for teachers)
MLK (Staff development)
January 16 (staff development)
February 20 (staff development)
1 week for Spring Break
Good Friday

We also have 6 early release days (in fact our school may have more, but that is the district total - as an IB school, my granddaughter's school has other early release days used for team planning)

Memorial Day
I believe it specifically states not before the 4th Monday in August, but it was originally referred to as the week of "Aug 27" since that would preclude it from ever being before that 4th Monday. That became law I think in 2006.

Prior to that some Texas districts were starting as early as August 2. At first they had a provision that districts could file for a waiver to start earlier than the 4th week, but that went away after a couple of years.

When our district began that early, the students had at minimum 5 days off at the end of every grading period and the first semester ended before the Christmas break. Those were the only real benefits to starting that early, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 AM

25,391 posts, read 29,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I believe it specifically states not before the 4th Monday in August, but it was originally referred to as the week of "Aug 27" since that would preclude it from ever being before that 4th Monday. That became law I think in 2006.

Prior to that some Texas districts were starting as early as August 2. At first they had a provision that districts could file for a waiver to start earlier than the 4th week, but that went away after a couple of years.

When our district began that early, the students had at minimum 5 days off at the end of every grading period and the first semester ended before the Christmas break. Those were the only real benefits to starting that early, in my opinion.
We can't start until after Labor day, by law, because of tourism. What's stupid is kids who are in band and fall sports start the middle of August or earlier and teachers start back a week before the kids. I would much rather start mid August so Christmas break would actually be the semester break. As things are now, we come back from Christmas break and take finals three weeks later.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:23 AM

35,754 posts, read 38,863,446 times
In my home district, the fact that the schools were vintage buildings built in the early 1900s that had not been retrofitted with air conditioning was a consideration when determining how deep into the summer months was reasonable to be in attendance. That shifted somewhat after a few new school buildings were built that obviously had A/C.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 AM

84,618 posts, read 98,067,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We can't start until after Labor day, by law, because of tourism. What's stupid is kids who are in band and fall sports start the middle of August or earlier and teachers start back a week before the kids. I would much rather start mid August so Christmas break would actually be the semester break. As things are now, we come back from Christmas break and take finals three weeks later.
http://bvsd.org/calendar/Documents/2...Decorative.pdf

Our district used to start about a week later, but a group of high school students petitioned the school board (along with a group of activist parents) to have finals before Christmas. I personally think they could have eliminated a few holidays in the fall semester and perhaps started "Winter Break" a day or so later to accomplish the same thing. For ex, they get the whole week of Thanksgiving off, Veterans' Day off, and there are two professional development days that semester, one the day before the Labor Day weekend and one in October. Please note I have no problem with prof. development days, just questioning the timing.

Note that we have a staggered start, beginnng August 15. Colorado is a state with a huge tourist industry, however we have no laws about when school should start. Oddly, this schedule gets kids out by late May, when the weather is usually still crappy, and sends them back in mid-August when it can still be quite hot. Many of our schools, even some that are fairly new, don't have A/C. I'd hate to work without it!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 AM

31,652 posts, read 38,604,934 times
Quote:

We start the middle of August and end of semester is still the middle of January. We had the end of semester at Christmas for a couple years a year or two ago and it was a mess. That semester was short and 2nd was too long. We don't get out until the middle/3rd week of June anyway no matter when we start in the Fall. Then again, we don't have a full 20 school day month except, sometimes, March.

Adding to the hassle is that Seniors get out around the middle of May and the rest of the kids still have pretty close to a month left.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:12 AM

3,082 posts, read 6,423,412 times
Quote:
Tourism plays a large part in Texas school schedule as well, though there is not a perfect schedule that works for everyone.

Since our summer weather starts long before June, by the time school is out everyone is ready to do summer activities and by the time August gets here it's too dang hot with virtually no relief even overnight. Our pools/water parks open Memorial Day weekend, for example and close by the last week in August. Heck, right now pools without shade are hovering around the 100 degree water temp so they are pretty much useless in cooling down.

We also now have our semester tests 2-3 weeks after Christmas, so it makes the time right after return all review. However, it was that way for all the years prior to moving up start dates to early August (which only occurred for maybe 10 years) so that is really nothing new, just a return to the previous ways.

Starting in early August was a HUGE cost for Texas and that wouldn't be the same for your northern state. The electricity it takes to cool a school building during 100 days where the nights don't go below 80 is so costly that it can make or break a district's budget. Our electric companies are deregulated and we seem to have some of the highest rates in the country.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:39 AM

67 posts, read 91,785 times
August 16th. Why don't schools start the day AFTER Labor Day?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:28 AM

25,391 posts, read 29,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Flock Of Budgies View Post
August 16th. Why don't schools start the day AFTER Labor Day?
Personally, I think a mid August start makes sense. Here in the north, it's light until 10:00 PM on the 21st of June and kids have even more trouble sleeping than normal when it's light that late. It makes sense to get them out of school before we get to the really long days. July is, traditionally, our hottest mongth so we don't want to be air conditioning schools then. While August isn't cool, it's cooler, gets dark sooner and kids have had enough of summer vacation.

It's not even August yet and I'm already shifting into school mode. At least, as a teacher, I have lots of summer homework I can do to get ready for the school year (I have a brand new prep this year). I'll be in my classroom next week working out labs and getting copies made for the first two weeks of school.

However, the lakes are still warm in August and tourism wins so we go to school until June 15th and don't go back until after Labor Day. Well, the kids don't. The teachers report the week before Labor day.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 PM

1,358 posts, read 1,707,988 times
I am a college student and go to school year round. We start in late September and are done by the second week of June. I get two weeks off before summer classes end and another week and half before Autumn quarter starts. We get about two and half weeks for Christmas and a couple days off for Thanksgiving. Then we get a week of spring vacation.

This the last year that we will be on the quarter system. I'm not sure if I am looking forward to the semester system. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education