U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,242,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Yes but those statistics include associates degrees not in skilled trade.
Where does it say that? I hope I'm not misreading the chart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:14 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,708,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Where does it say that? I hope I'm not misreading the chart.
Since the chart simply says "Associates degree" the assumption is it's all associates degrees not just those in the trades. If the chart were just for associates degrees in the trades, it should be called out as such. It isn't and there is no reason to assume that those associates degrees are all in the trades. They could just as easily be in underwater basket weaving.

I am surprised at how tight different degrees track. Doesn't seem to make much difference if you have an associates degree of a college degree and higher. Looks like a spread of about 37% to about 39%. That 2% difference only matters if you happen to be one of the 2%.

I'd still be willing to bet of you separted out skilled trades they'd have the lowest unemployment rate on the chart. Unfortunately, we can't do that.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,141,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm going to be the gadfly here and say that I'm not real keen on 18 year old kids choosing a career for life, which is what you do if you go to trade school. I like the idea of trades being taught in the community colleges, where you can also pick up some academic credits and go on to get a degree if you find that's your "thing".
Someone who learns a trade is not tied to that career for life. They have a valuable skill and a job that will support them through college if they change their mind and decide to do something else.

My DH went to college, graduated with honors, worked in the corporate world for years and did very well. He left that career to learn a trade and is now a successful electrician.

Whether you choose college or trade school, neither one has to be your career for life. There are always options and the ability to change the course of your career no matter how you start out.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,141,781 times
When my DH got his journeyman's license he earned an associates degree in construction management through his apprenticeship (on top of the BS he already had). That was a part of the program. I think that one can become a skilled tradesman without earning a degree but most apprenticeships are set up in a way where the apprentice will earn college credit as a part of their apprenticeship whether they want to or not.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,767,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Compared to who? Seriously, I don't know a single person with a skilled trade who lost their job but I know plenty of engineers who lost theirs. I still have the same plumber, furnace tech, mechanic and service rep at the dealership I had when the first recession started! While my brother used to be a mechanic, he was moved up to management. Now the recession has resulted in them making less money but they are still working. My step son is in infrastructure construction and he has more work than he can handle and has throughout the recession. Now, if he were in new home construction, that would be a different story.

In the meantime, we have downsized out our housekeeper and our lawn service. Both non skilled labor. I still have my financial advisor (the only degreed person I happen to employ).

I have two masters degrees and I've been let go from two jobs in the last four years. I'll likely be looking again either next year or the following (either that or buy into the teach to the bottom of the class mantra). I will likely have to leave the state or even the country to find work in engineering, while my neighbor, a millwright, is still working for the company I used to work for as an engineer!!!!

From where I sit, the skilled trades are much more stable. While people may put off cosmetic car repairs, during a recession, they keep their cars longer and have to do what they have to do to keep them running so the mechanic is safe. Recession or not, I have to have my furnace cleaned and water leaks fixed so my furnace guy and my plumber are safe (Neither of them is tied to new home construction. They just do home service.)

Medical is the only degreed area I see as stable at all.

I agree with you. I think when a lot of people here the word trade they are not aware there is a difference in working construction vs. having a skilled trade. A skilled trade typically means they went to school (in my state Arkansas...Plumbers and Electricians are required to go to school for 4 years they are also required to have a certain amount of OJT hours while going to school). Also there is a huge difference in work and knowledge required to do commercial/industrial vs. houses.

Most of the electricians/plumbers/HVAC I know are still working.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 PM

67 posts, read 92,329 times
As a realist in education I see that not all American students are academic types. This is reality. It was like that when I was in high school back in Canada. By forcing everyone to go to an academic college/university is simply unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or