U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,316,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't think all celebrities get showered with Lohan as a great example. Most likely he is more informed, tho. Intelligence is both heritable and bred. He's got that going for him. His awareness of an intrinsic paternalistic system, (hailing from colonialism, now warped via technology in the west [my interpretation]) is on par; not that I necessarily agree. But, the actor generalization doesn't fit with Damon. It can't. He's intelligent, educated, well bred, and hot. That's a rare combo for any human, celebrity or not.
Hahaha. Now, we're getting down to brass tacks. Millions of women will believe any nonsense he spouts because of the man's intrinsic sex appeal.

Back to Lohan, however. Probably an extreme example given what a train wreck she is. But the acting community is filled with people who will espouse any cause if it gives them a bully pulpit and a few more minutes in the national spotlight.

To me, the best example was Meryl Streep going in front of Congress to speak out against the use of Alar in apple orchards. Now, this was a woman with no understanding of biochemistry, no understanding of agriculture, no understanding of medicine, or the host of other issues involved in what was a very complex scientific question. But, by gum, she was accorded a good hour of Congressional testimony on the subject--a subject that she knew next to nothing about--because she had a couple of Oscars. Go figure.

The Meryl Streep example is probably the most ridiculous. But it really is the same kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,241,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hahaha. Now, we're getting down to brass tacks.
lol oh ya caught me!

Quote:
Millions of women will believe any nonsense he spouts because of the man's intrinsic sex appeal.
Perhaps millions of women do. But! Yum, yum, there is nothing like an educated hottie.

Quote:
Back to Lohan, however. Probably an extreme example given what a train wreck she is. But the acting community is filled with people who will espouse any cause if it gives them a bully pulpit and a few more minutes in the national spotlight.

To me, the best example was Meryl Streep going in front of Congress to speak out against the use of Alar in apple orchards. Now, this was a woman with no understanding of biochemistry, no understanding of agriculture, no understanding of medicine, or the host of other issues involved in what was a very complex scientific question. But, by gum, she was accorded a good hour of Congressional testimony on the subject--a subject that she knew next to nothing about--because she had a couple of Oscars. Go figure.

The Meryl Streep example is probably the most ridiculous. But it really is the same kind of thing.
I see what you're saying, and I get she had no place before congress, but this isn't the same sort of thing. Sadly, you are correct, tho, that drama, the epitome of drama, shouldn't have a place in congress. This goes back to my claims of warping, western technology. It's bizarre.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM

5,678 posts, read 5,132,371 times
Matt Damon's mother is a teacher. That's why he is passionate (and informed) about this cause.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM

3,007 posts, read 4,887,557 times
Quote:

Well, to state the obvious, this forum exists because we all like sharing our opinions. That's what folk do and that's what he does. He just happens to have a larger audience than most.

With that said, "he's an actor" is too general a descriptor to assign mass generalizations willy nilly. He's well bred. Both parents are educated professionals. He's from Cambridge. He was intelligent enough to get into Harvard (didn't finish, no wonder why) and that's not something that can be generalized across the board here or anywhere else. So, as far as opinions go, the value is on par, at the very least, with the rest of us.

Exactly. For an actor he is well spoken. He also just happens to have an opinion too.

And I think, if his mother wasn't a teacher, he wouldn't care at all or at least as much.

I'm tired of blind hatred of stereotypical targets. Yeah there are some vapid dumb actors out there but really Damon doesn't seem like one of them.

If people are mad because he's an actor getting airtime then the irony is in America one is free to also become famous and/or create their own non-profit like the Reason foundation and have a certain set of opinions for years.

I probably know more about education than most and probably disagree with Damon on this issue especially the particulars, but I'm not going to outright discredit the guy.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM

2,958 posts, read 4,389,686 times
Quote:
He's intelligent, educated, well bred, and hot. That's a rare combo for any human, celebrity or not.
Yes, there are so few of us.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,997,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Matt Damon must be running for office. Suddenly he's opining on everything.

Ladies and Gentleman, he's an ACTOR. A self-important man who mimics emotions in front of a camera, makes unreal sums of money due to the accident of his good looks, and has an army of handlers to reinforce his unreal view of the world.

Case in point? Matt Damon attended Harvard University--paid for, presumably by his stockbroker father. Not exactly the street creds one would hope for. And I'll eat my hat if Damon's kids go to public school in Manhattan. I'm pretty sure it's some toney private school on the Upper West Side.

I'm always amazed when people actually listen to actors on the subject of any public policy. Just because they're articulate doesn't make them right.
While I'm not a fan of his politics at all, are you seriously using attending Harvard as a bad thing? No one can deny that that's he's a very intelligent guy. I'm not rich and wouldn't send my kids to New York City public schools.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 PM

15,324 posts, read 16,907,542 times
Before you base your opinion on a short exchange, try actually seeing the entire speech Matt Damon gave at the rally.

Matt Damon criticizes Eva Moskowitz’s charters at D.C. rally | GothamSchools

Interesting blog on the subject.

School Dazed Movie City News

Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,241,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Yes, there are so few of us.
lol

Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 PM

20,627 posts, read 22,804,003 times
Don't remember anyone saying that Damon's comment made him an expert nor the gospel truth. IT was just and OPINION...given in response to a stupid question. If someone aske you a question and you gave your answer and it was posted on u-tube, don't think you would be teaching at Harvard next semester do you?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:33 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,054,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Love it! thanks for the vid....Damon is well-educated, articulate, reasonable and level-headed. He's also a celebrity and an actor. To attempt a comparison between he and Lohan is a very odd stretch.
Yes he is. I like Matt Damon and have come to respect his acting. I look forward to his slamming of the GOP in support of President Obama's reelection. He already has called Palin a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or