Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 AM

39 posts, read 102,664 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both went to private school. We come from similar backgrounds (lower middle class). Our parents felt that it was worth the sacrifice to send us to private school. When weighing the pros and cons of sending our own kid to private vs. public, we keep coming back to the same sticking point. We are better able to afford it than our parents were, so how could we not?

Anyone out there who can relate to this and offer advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM

812 posts, read 1,907,633 times
Did you feel like you had an advantage from going to Private school? When you went to college were you better prepared than your public school peers?

What will you not be able to do if you spend the money on private school? Could you provide better/more extracurricular activities or family trips with the $?

Is your assigned public school low performing? Those are the big questions I would ask myself in making a decision.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM

999 posts, read 4,652,634 times
I think the biggest factor here is how the public schools are where you live.
I feel that most kids will do well in most schools provided they have a decent home life with involved caregivers. Of course there are exceptions, either the schools are truly horrible, or the child is exceptional in some way that a different (smaller/more attentive, whatever) environment would provide significant benefit to them.

If you sacrifice in sending them to private school will you also have to sacrifice in other ways? Like no money for family vacations or long weekends? Or someone needing a 2nd job or extra hours to pay for it, meaning less time to spend with the children? I think those factors are important as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
You really have to look at the whole picture to decide whether private schools are right for your family. We have chosen private for our kids, but that does not mean private is going to be better for all kids and all families. It really depends on what the differences are between the local public/private schools, what activities your kids are interested in pursuing, what kind of students they are, and how much money you can afford to spend on tuition. If the private schools are religious that also plays a part in the decision making process.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magny13 View Post
When weighing the pros and cons of sending our own kid to private vs. public, we keep coming back to the same sticking point. We are better able to afford it than our parents were, so how could we not?

Anyone out there who can relate to this and offer advice?
So, after weighing the pros and cons, how do they compare?

Old 08-05-2011, 03:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I don't have kids, but I went to the top blue ribbon public school in NJ (majority of students end up in ivy league -- I ended up at Princeton). And after meeting plenty of people that went to private school, I could easily tell how lacking the public education system is. Even the best public schools don't compare to good private schools. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Just my observation.

Last edited by NJBest; 08-05-2011 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
There are excellent public schools and bad public schools, and excellent private schools and bad private schools. Visit all of the schools in your area, including magnet schools, charter schools, religious schools (if this aligns with your beliefs), and whatever else is around, before making your decision. We homeschooled because we could not afford the type of progressive school that we wanted for our children, and guess what? A progressive charter (read: FREE) school opened in the next town over, so we enrolled them for this year. Look for the best educational option for your kids, then decide whether the cost (if applicable) is worth it when compared to the next best, or the next least-expensive, or the best free option.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:07 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Value of any school, whether K-12 or college, even for brand prestige for entering lucrative careers, is increasingly suspect...

Google educational backgrounds of top engineers or hedge funders of modern era...lots of guys from mediocre suburban public schools, who somehow gained entry to a Stanford or Wharton undergrad and then found their way to a google or Goldman....and then moved onward and upward, gaining full economic and intellectual freedom at a young age

Reality is top of competitive industries like tech or hedge funds is disproportionately represented by high-IQ workaholics w/ADD, OCD, some version of Aspergers (as shrink quacks today define it): guys who naturally don't play well with others...IOW, guys who don't do well vs groupthink/political correctness of either formal education or corporate politics...not sure why any parent would pay someone to torture any kid with more irrelevant "education" or miseducation than absolutely necessary

Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Around here there is no extra educational value in sending your kids to a private school. Most public schools are as good as or better than the private schools. If you want the religious aspect, that is fine but around here, there is no need to send your kids to private schools for educational advantages. It all depends on where you live.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Whats the cost difference between private and public school?and do you think the extra cost of private school will make difference?.
In my particular case my oldest daughter wanted to go to one of the cities more prestigious private high schools so off she goes at much cost to us,after 2 years she was having conflict with the private schools rigid rules and its total conformity in just about everything so 3rd year shes off to the local public high school where she thrived and was an honor role student for the rest of her high school and a much happier child as well, she is now in college and reunited with many of her old buddies from the private school, she remains near top of the class with many of her public school classmates while her old private school buddies are middle of the road students.
So private school maybe great for some,rather confining for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education