U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:43 PM

12,455 posts, read 27,089,579 times

Advertisements

All of our elementary schools have it. They started it at all the schools in our district about 5 years ago.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 PM

8,388 posts, read 8,101,803 times
Default Do They Do This In Your Schools?

Yes, my district has a program where parents can monitor their child's grades by accessing the teachers' electronic gradebooks online. I get frequent feedback from parents and consider another valuable line of communication.

We still issue progress reports every three weeks, though. Seems to be a duplication of effort.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,501,511 times
We have it. It was Pinnacle but they changed it to another program which I find easier to use. I like it.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,150,388 times
When I was in HS (late 90s, early 2000s), we had grades, attendance, and feedback on the school website. Parents kept in touch with teachers via email.

Nowadays my same school district now archives all work digitally and makes it available for parents to review with teachers comments. I don't have kids, but my sister does and one of the things that she said is great is that current teachers can trace back problems back to previous grades to identify at what level the student started having problems.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,660 times
Yes you are right i think that only 20 % parents checks on kids

Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 AM

4,091 posts, read 3,069,394 times
The local high school has it; it's called FOCUS. Some teachers are better than others about keeping it updated; I'm not sure what the rules are. I have never used it myself, but when we had our exchange student last year, she would periodically check it. (She got all A's, and she always asked permission to skip school/class, LOL... if she was not such a good student, I would have checked up on her.)

I don't know about the local elementary and middle schools. Looking back at my own educational experience, something like that would have done the most good in middle school. In elementary school, parents are typically more involved, and by high school, most kids are able to handle their own schoolwork/homework/grades.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM

891 posts, read 2,701,361 times
Our school system uses Infinite Campus and I love it. Our son is a classic bright underachiever. He usually gets good grades without a lot of effort and is a bit lazy about turning in assignments.
Every Friday we check his grades, missing assignments, etc together. If he has missing assignments he has no Call of Duty until he gets everything up to date. If he has grades that are lower than he's capable of the same thing. It holds him accountable and it's very effective.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 PM

32,137 posts, read 39,225,649 times
We now have to maintain the grading site for our classes along with posting all assignments on our required web-site.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:52 PM

7,894 posts, read 12,153,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
We now have to maintain the grading site for our classes along with posting all assignments on our required web-site.
Do you have to post assignments for each student or group? For example, if I have 27 students and 7 different reading groups, would I have to post each group's assignments?

Old 08-16-2011, 02:58 PM

32,137 posts, read 39,225,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Do you have to post assignments for each student or group? For example, if I have 27 students and 7 different reading groups, would I have to post each group's assignments?

Each group.

My problem is that vast majority of my assignments aren't in a format that can be downloaded/uploaded, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or