U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given two choices, which would you rather choose?
Option 1: The school year should begin in late September and end in early May 28 49.12%
Option 2: The school year should begin in the second week of August and last until the last week of June 29 50.88%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,702,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're darn right it's another thread. If I read one more post by a teacher bashing "parents" with a broad-brush stroke I may just have to shoot my computer.

Holding up Japan as the greatest educational system of all time seems to have gone out of favor. That was a couple of decades ago.
They're still up there and still way above us....though you are correct that there are other contenders to look at. I would think Canada would be a good country to try and emmulate. They're doing something right that we aren't.

World education rankings: which country does best at reading, maths and science? | News | guardian.co.uk

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_793185.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 01:14 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Letters to the Editor - Aug. 23 - Boulder Daily Camera

See the letter about school start times. This guy is actually blaming the wrong people. It was a group of high school students that wanted finals over by winter break that advocated for an earlier August start date. I felt the district could tweak the schedule a little differently to get in that extra week to do so. For ex, they could eliminate some of the week long Thanksgiving break, Veteran's Day, and/or schedule school a little later in December (December 16 this year).

It's a lot hotter here in August than it is in early June. It is supposed to be 90+ degrees every day this week, and apparently was very hot last week as well. (We were on vacay.)

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-23-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,360,527 times
It should be cut in half and the minimum age should be 5. Today all it has become is a glorified babysitter for single moms who can't afford daycare.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,702,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
It should be cut in half and the minimum age should be 5. Today all it has become is a glorified babysitter for single moms who can't afford daycare.
Cut in half????? What do you think we could teach kids in 90 days per year?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:55 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,908,347 times
Neither. It should be different. Maybe the same number of days but spread out by reducing to 4 days per week. The extra day could be used for recreational programs, internships, or working on personal development.

The summer vacation could be divided up into quarterly breaks of two or three weeks similar to how college works.

The fact of the matter is that any change will have to be weighed against the extra costs of implementing those changes. With the state of the current economy and the way education is funded it is going to be difficult for most communities to implement major changes.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,726,986 times
As a college student, I have been going to school all year round since September 2009, and I can honestly say that I do feel a little burnt out sometimes. However, I do not think that the school year should be shorter. If anything, it should be longer. In between each term, there should be a two week break. Start in August go to December, two week break, January to April, two week break, April to July, two week break, and then start back up in August again. So, that is at least six weeks break, and that is not including all the three day weekends (President's Day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Day, etc) or Thanksgiving.

I feel that I lose A LOT of info from these long summer vacations...and it isn't doing me any good.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 AM

6,126 posts, read 4,086,942 times
It will never happen here but make it year round, give the kids a couple weeks off around Christmas and New Years, 4 to 5 weeks during the summer months, and maybe 1 or 2 scattered throughout the year. Preps them for the real world. Nobody thats working a strady job can afford to take the months of July & August off, along with half of September and a few days in September.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,655 times
That is another subject that has been lost in today's world, summer help for the kids from the family and neighbors. In my youth, grandparents, aunts etc helped the working parents during the summer. Had the kids help with the farming, family business. The kids learned what being part of a family was, not getting sent to daycare, or what 'where ever' for the summer. They have there entire high school years to prep them for the 'real world'. All im asking for or saying let them enjoy their youth and being a kid, we have more years of adults than we do as kids. I dont know i just dont agree with the world today and the way our kids are getting pushed to the side so mom and dad came make more money so they can buy the most expensive car. This is where i stop or i will get on my soap box.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:17 PM

436 posts, read 490,622 times
The problem is not the length of they year or the amount of instruction time. The problem is giving students too many subjects to deal with at one time.

Let's get rid of the emphasis on subjects that no longer result in lucrative employment for most people. Emphasize skills that get jobs, not culture.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
My school is in session year-round. It's great.

Our days out of session include the day before and after Thanksgiving in addition to the day itself, a week at Christmas, a week in May, a week in August, and various three- or four- day weekends sprinkled at the rate of one every couple of months throughout the rest of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education