U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,440,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My guess is most of you aren't qualified to teach religion...Actually, I was thinking probably not sex education, either.
You lost me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,169,822 times
Quote:
My guess is most of you aren't qualified to teach religion...Actually, I was thinking probably not sex education, either.
<blank stare>

Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I saw a clip on the news last night of our Governer Perry working the crowd, assuring someone in the crown that Texas teaches both creationism AND evolution and thinks the children ought to decide. He needs to get caught up on what is going on in his state.
Found the clip.

Rick Perry: Evolution A Theory That's Out There (VIDEO)

Old 08-28-2011, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment"]E. coli long-term evolution experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]
The article said "The populations reached the milestone of 50,000 generations in February 2010."

50K generations and the bacteria is ..... still the same bacteria.

Leeuwenhoek was the first person to describe bacteria in 1674. Since some bacteria divide every 20 minutes I'll let you work out the number of generations to the present. After all those generations not one time has the bacteria mutated into a higher form of life.

the·o·ry Noun/ˈTHēərē/1. A supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained: "Darwin's theory of evolution"

Evolution is theory, not fact. IF evolution is a fact where are the in-betweens? Birds and lizards evolved from dinosaurs, yet one is cold blooded and crawls on the ground and the other is warm blooded and flys. Where are the warm blooded lizards or birds with scales? Both species exist and yet every species in the evolutionary chain that had traits combining the two species are extinct, with no traces left they ever existed (that I know of). Its the same story in every case that science stated one species evolved from another, nothing in between the two species that definitely links them.

Last edited by Steve1776; 08-28-2011 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: To remove excess urls in definition.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1776 View Post
The article said "The populations reached the milestone of 50,000 generations in February 2010."

Leeuwenhoek was the first person to describe bacteria in 1674. Since some bacteria divide every 20 minutes I'll let you work out the number of generations to the present. After all those generations not one time has the bacteria mutated into a higher form of life.

the·o·ry Noun/ˈTHēərē/1. A supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained: "Darwin's theory of evolution"

Evolution is theory, not fact. IF evolution is a fact where are the in-betweens? Birds and lizards evolved from dinosaurs, yet one is cold blooded and crawls on the ground and the other is warm blooded and flys. Where are the warm blooded lizards or birds with scales? Both species exist and yet every species in the evolutionary chain that had traits combining the two species are extinct, with no traces left they ever existed (that I know of). Its the same story in every case that science stated one species evolved from another, nothing in between the two species that definitely links them.
It's both. That's like saying that music is only Theory and not fact.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:05 PM

15,312 posts, read 16,881,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1776 View Post

Evolution is both a theory and a fact. You misunderstand what a scientific theory is as opposed to *theory* in English.

Theories in science are not *guesses.* When something is a theory, it makes predictions about what we will find that are born out in our experiments or in our observations. Theories in science must be able to be falsified so that we can change them over time with any new observations that make them different. There is NO doubt at all that evolution happened. The theory has to do with the *how* did it happen.

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: Part 1

As to a transitional form between reptiles and birds, see here:

Freedom and Reason: Intermediate Fossils

Of course when scientists find a few, then Creationists say, but there should be *millions.* Of course, the problem with that is that soft tissue is not preserved, so we cannot find everything that existed. Conditions had to be right for actually laying down the fossils.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 PM

15,784 posts, read 13,210,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
Where and when have humans observed this?

I would think that would be the biggest news ever that a new species has evolved from a different species.
The list of speciation is ling and varied. To keep it simple since I am on my phone, we will stick with nylon eating bacteria and the Hawaiian rock wallaby.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:42 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,147,477 times
Its more a politcal debate amoung those who do not want any mention of religion verus those who say its fine to discuss. It actaully will be a continuing matter just as abrotion will be on going.Two of the never ending battles we will never see ending really.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,382,235 times
Quote:
A bunch of faithless virgins, you reckon?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its more a politcal debate amoung those who do not want any mention of religion verus those who say its fine to discuss. It actaully will be a continuing matter just as abrotion will be on going.Two of the never ending battles we will never see ending really.
Why would religion be part of a science class? Let's have a discussion of Music Theory in woodshop class. Texas figured it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education