Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:07 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,800 times

Advertisements

I'm in 12th grade and I only need 2-4 classes to graduate, but my public school that I just transferred to from another state, and from a college prep. school, makes me take all these extra classes; it's required for the first semester. I've been looking around on the web for alternatives and I found a online school called Alllied. Is it a good choice? Are there better virtual high schools?

I'm also going to a college/university so I need a school that guarantees acceptance to a higher education.

It would just be simpler to take these few classes and graduate, rather than going to 7 classes at this small public school I'm going to.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Take the classes at school. The school is accredited; an online school may not be for the state you are in or for the college/university you decide to go to. It would be a real shame if you took your classes and they were not accepted, wouldn't it?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Take the classes at school. The school is accredited; an online school may not be for the state you are in or for the college/university you decide to go to. It would be a real shame if you took your classes and they were not accepted, wouldn't it?
The online school I want to go to is accredited for my region, and for many other regions in the nation.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Florida virtual school has lead the way in this area (for better or worse) as it is now k-12 and international.....

Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 AM

378 posts, read 707,534 times
I had a great experience taking a class with Apex Learning, but I don't think they grant diplomas. You could check, I guess.

If you've thought about what university you want to go to, you can check with the admissions office to see whether the school you choose is acceptable.

FLVS is the biggest full-time online school I've heard of.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
I had a great experience taking a class with Apex Learning, but I don't think they grant diplomas. You could check, I guess.

If you've thought about what university you want to go to, you can check with the admissions office to see whether the school you choose is acceptable.

FLVS is the biggest full-time online school I've heard of.
WOW you heard of it even there??? GRRRR....and to think I was taking a class with the women who began it and they asked if I would be interested, and I told them, NO as I thought to myself... THIS WILL NEVER FLY!!!

BUT with that said, I don't think K and elementary students should be taking it as they need school to learn social skills; and in fact, I am not too thrilled the way they advertise for it either, OR that our state makes it sound like they do not need REAL teachers any more as soon ALL will be online!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
WOW you heard of it even there??? GRRRR....and to think I was taking a class with the women who began it and they asked if I would be interested, and I told them, NO as I thought to myself... THIS WILL NEVER FLY!!!

BUT with that said, I don't think K and elementary students should be taking it as they need school to learn social skills; and in fact, I am not too thrilled the way they advertise for it either, OR that our state makes it sound like they do not need REAL teachers any more as soon ALL will be online!
I definitely agree that social opportunities in schools are important, and I don't know that we should encourage kids to spend more time sitting in front of computer screens.

Still, my educational experience with the Apex online course was really, really good. And I can't help but think that it could be much cheaper than our current education system while yielding better results.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM

Nevermind, I had a talk with my parents and they said no. The least I can do is get rid of these electives next semester so I only have 3 classes, hopefully this small town school will let me... Thanks for the answers.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
I definitely agree that social opportunities in schools are important, and I don't know that we should encourage kids to spend more time sitting in front of computer screens.

Still, my educational experience with the Apex online course was really, really good. And I can't help but think that it could be much cheaper than our current education system while yielding better results.
We have an APEX lab at our high school, but it is monitored. Did you do it in school as well? And I hate to ask this, but do you mean better results as in passing and getting a good grade? As for many, unless you have self-discipline, it isn't going to work as would not FLVS.

You know, education is a weird thing as often you don't actually KNOW you learned something until months or years down the line. Many of my students who have taken a class or two told me that they forget everything once the class is over, yet they will tell me "Remember when you said....or remember when we talked about..."

And as far as being "cheaper", yet it would be, but to whose benefit?? People NEED interaction like you had mentioned as well.

I am glad that you were successful, but in all honestly, could you have done that for 13 years??? And too, I don't quite believe that rampant cheating does not go on at FVS as kids have told me that at times they have had another computer on getting answers to tests or even parents doing some of the work (which of course they do in real life too! but...).

All I know is that this is one more way to totally make our life run by machines....and so where then WILL the people WORK???

Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
We have an APEX lab at our high school, but it is monitored. Did you do it in school as well? And I hate to ask this, but do you mean better results as in passing and getting a good grade? As for many, unless you have self-discipline, it isn't going to work as would not FLVS.
Assignments + quizzes outside of school, tests supervised to prevent cheating.

Good results are related to learning the material.

I think the system can be tweaked to provide a fair amount of structure, and the idea that we can force kids to learn if they actively resist is ridiculous anyway.
Quote:
You know, education is a weird thing as often you don't actually KNOW you learned something until months or years down the line. Many of my students who have taken a class or two told me that they forget everything once the class is over, yet they will tell me "Remember when you said....or remember when we talked about..."
Good point, but that kind of interaction is inherently unpredictable and will resonate differently w/different people. Focus the schooling on content and experiences develop on their own, and through extracurricular activities.
Quote:
And as far as being "cheaper", yet it would be, but to whose benefit?? People NEED interaction like you had mentioned as well.
People need interaction, which is why I don't favor fully online schooling. On the other hand, I could very easily see classes of 50+ with supervisors vs. classroom teachers in a high school setting.
Quote:
I am glad that you were successful, but in all honestly, could you have done that for 13 years??? And too, I don't quite believe that rampant cheating does not go on at FVS as kids have told me that at times they have had another computer on getting answers to tests or even parents doing some of the work (which of course they do in real life too! but...).
Yes, I think it could work, especially for junior high and high school. Elementary is a little trickier, but even there the only addition you'd really need would be a playground.

Cheating is less likely in a supervised setting.
Quote:
All I know is that this is one more way to totally make our life run by machines....and so where then WILL the people WORK???
By this logic, we should destroy construction equipment and use unemployed guys with shovels. Heck, maybe the CCC would do some good right now, but that's a political question and is not relevant to education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education