U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:50 PM

441 posts, read 1,068,337 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in hearing thoughts on children being in Catholic School, especially during middle school years. We are Catholic, but have used montessori school until now. My husband's point...

1. Middle school is a TOUGH time. The kids need order and discipline to feel secure. The structure of Catholic school and even things like having to go to Mass and wear a uniform like everyone else helps them worry LESS about fitting in. Plus, middle school is the last 'chance' at a great foundation before high school. Good catholic schools are best for this.

VS.

2. (my point, sort of...I am wavering!) Montessori school is nurturing and less intense. A smaller, more family type of school helps kids to feel safe and cared for. It also allows them to not feel the intense pressure, academically and socially, that goes along with any private TRADITIONAL (not just Catholic) school environment. They will have more freedom at school, and be less likely to rebel there or at home.

Thoughts???? I'd especially love to hear from those of you with kids in Catholic school or from those of you who went to Catholic school. Thanks!

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 08:21 AM

5,640 posts, read 17,291,506 times
If you are in montessori now, why would you change midstream? Have your children have been going to religious ed instruction while attending montessori?

The way I see it, it would be six of one, half dozen of the other. Both would be good. I liked catholic schools when I grew up. You are right, the uniforms provide an even playing board since kids are so brand conscious these days, the "nordstrom" clothes vs. "walmart" clothes thing would not be an issue. I wish all public schools had them too.

Catholic schools require more discipline, which is good for some kids, not good for others. Depends on the kid.

I liked the fact that morality and religion is emphasized in the catholic schools system as a way of behaving - and it effectively teaches kids how to act respectfully.

I would think in a smaller school such as montessori it would be that way too though if they are getting proper attention.

I do like that the curriculum would be more "modern" in a montessori. I know some catholic grade schools around here are very traditional (old school) in their academic thinking.

I don't think either school will make the transition to H.S. any easier, since they are both small class size schools, your kid is going to have to get used to the public school way of doing things... which at times to me is maddening, having grown up a catholic school child.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Preparation for High school

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
If you are in montessori now, why would you change midstream? Have your children have been going to religious ed instruction while attending montessori?

The way I see it, it would be six of one, half dozen of the other. Both would be good. I liked catholic schools when I grew up. You are right, the uniforms provide an even playing board since kids are so brand conscious these days, the "nordstrom" clothes vs. "walmart" clothes thing would not be an issue. I wish all public schools had them too.

Catholic schools require more discipline, which is good for some kids, not good for others. Depends on the kid.

I liked the fact that morality and religion is emphasized in the catholic schools system as a way of behaving - and it effectively teaches kids how to act respectfully.

I would think in a smaller school such as montessori it would be that way too though if they are getting proper attention.

I do like that the curriculum would be more "modern" in a montessori. I know some catholic grade schools around here are very traditional (old school) in their academic thinking.

I don't think either school will make the transition to H.S. any easier, since they are both small class size schools, your kid is going to have to get used to the public school way of doing things... which at times to me is maddening, having grown up a catholic school child.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response. The reason for the possible switch is that we find montessori school to be FUN and educational, but they do not push nor challenge a child. Our fear is that, waiting until high school (be that public or Catnolic) to learn to handle a homework load, meet clear deadlines and be challenged when you may rather take it easy would be terribly hard. Having not had a child in high school or middle school, we are flying blind in terms of know, truly, what type of preparation they really need to be ready for high school. There is not a montessori high school here and the middle school program is new. Therefore, we just don't know how well a montessori middle school education can ready a child for a college prep. high school.

T

Old 08-15-2007, 11:53 AM

5,640 posts, read 17,291,506 times
Sorry, I can't help you more. Perhaps there are other montessori parents out there with the same experience!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:44 PM

419 posts, read 2,057,667 times
I went to Catholic elementary and middle school and turned out fine, so I would definitely suggest it. I know I'll most likely send my kids to Catholic Elementary/Middle and probably High School. A lot of people seem to think that Catholic middle school shelters kids and then they go wild in high school, but I can attest to the fact that Catholic school bettered me as a person, and built a focus and work ethic that I hold still today, and used to excel in high school and college.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:23 AM

Default Focus and Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
I went to Catholic elementary and middle school and turned out fine, so I would definitely suggest it. I know I'll most likely send my kids to Catholic Elementary/Middle and probably High School. A lot of people seem to think that Catholic middle school shelters kids and then they go wild in high school, but I can attest to the fact that Catholic school bettered me as a person, and built a focus and work ethic that I hold still today, and used to excel in high school and college.
The focus and work ethic you speak of are also the things that my husband thinks middle school will bring. I and do suspect he is right. Still, I wonder if a child who goes to a small nurturing middle school, without the structure and work of a Catholic type of school, can jump right into high school? You are yet another testimony to the fact that catholic schools seem to prepare people well. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

T

Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,235,993 times
We have children in catholic school ; 2nd and 3rd grade. They also will go to catholic school for high school. Their school goes thru 8th grade.

We love it. They are focused on learning, learning and learning. On tuesday evening we were out at dinner and they were having a discussion on the Draft between each other. Our school only has 350 children, two classes for each grade. They are thought discipline, caring for eachother, respect and while we are not very religious, they also get religion. Anyone I have spoken to that went to Catholic school loved it.
dorothy

Old 08-16-2007, 08:26 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,838,956 times
I'd switch to the Catholic school so they can adjust before it "counts" in high school. I don't think Monterssori was ever really intended for older kids.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. We have heard a lot of positives on the education part of catholic school. I do wonder about Montessori middle school? Hmmm...perhpas I will start a thread about that.

Thanks!
T

Old 11-27-2007, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,414 times
Default catholic middle school vs. montessori

I too had my son in a Montessori school when he was little and it was the best educational experience we ever had. I agree with another poster, however, that it is not really designed for older children. I moved my older son to a traditional non-secterian private school and he had a terrific education there. I placed my second son in a Catholic school in fourth grade and have been very unhappy for the last three years. Even though it is a solid education, there is no joy, warmth or love there. I went to a Catholic school myself and remember it being the same way then. It seems that they are always trying to catch you being bad rather than acknowleging when you are good. There is the feeling of a dark cloud hanging over the place and I think that they take some type of malicious pleasure in making the children and the parents feel bad about themselves. The boys in the class did not reach out to my son at all and he still has no close friends. I think other Catholic schools might be better than ours but I just don't think it's a good idea unless there is no other choice. I think that a school's mission is to educate children in the best way possible and to make it as enjoyable as possible. We adults try to make our jobs enjoyable so why should our children be in an environment that makes their job miserable. Although I am religious, I think that religious schools try to take on too much of the parent's job of raising the child in the way they think he should be raised. They feel that they have the moral imperative to do this because they are representing God. I have not found many of them to be very Godly but rather simply meanspirited and this is picked up by the children who are also learn to be mean, judgemental and discriminatory. I have come to believe that religion does not belong in school. Ethics an compassion can be taught and practiced by those of all faiths and their teaching does not give the teacher a sense of false entitlement from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or