U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,541,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
In college, often we don't even print papers. We just submit them electronically through BlackBoard. It saves paper, helps keep the professor more organized, and makes it easier to change the formatting if need be.
Unless you have Proff's like I do that are less computer literate than most 6yr olds.

BB is ok, but I prefer hard copies to highlight, and study. I am BIG on multi-tasking, and like to review while, cooking, getting ready for school, before bed, while doing chores, getting the kiddo ready, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,541,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Regardless, I think the ones who fail to understand must work for Apple Computer.
Don't EVEN get me started on Apple ANYTHING. ARGH, the mouse is all funny, and keys are weird and they have totally taken over cell phones. Give me a plain, boring cell that sends and receives phone calls, and my hyper awesome PC and I'll be just fine, promise.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM

523 posts, read 834,477 times
In my children's elementary school cursive is taught at the beginning of 3rd grade. By the end of the year all spelling tests and handwritten assignments need to be completed in cursive.

It is the same as it was was I was in 3rd grade in a different (yet nearby)school system in the 1970s. The only difference is that we called it script not cursive.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
For personal use, its a lot faster than printing. I can take notes, jot down stuff, etc, much quicker in cursive, but no one can read it except me!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 PM

799 posts, read 1,591,123 times
My handwriting is horrible chicken scratch these days but I am always in such a hurry because I have to document on my patient file and now we have an online file we update as well. I can type significantly faster than I can print or cursive. I basically do a combination of both letter types in the same word!!

If children are not taught it in school will they have to adjust what is an acceptable signature for legal documents?? I know in NC my district does NOT teach cursive (at least 2 yrs now). My son started K this week and I guess I will get the pleasure of trying to teach my RIGHT handed child how to sign his name with my LEFT handed chicken scratch!

BTW I don't miss the callus on my left ring finger from having to write everything in school!
My Respiratory Therapy national boards were all computerized and all the major tests I took from probably middle or high school on were SCAN TRON bubbles. My SAT did not have the written portion included in 1989/90

Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,717,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Don't EVEN get me started on Apple ANYTHING. ARGH, the mouse is all funny, and keys are weird and they have totally taken over cell phones. Give me a plain, boring cell that sends and receives phone calls, and my hyper awesome PC and I'll be just fine, promise.
LOL... in our family we call all that Apple crap "i-crap"... we just can't believe how cheaply that stuff is made, and how people still buy it regardless of how overpriced it all is. It is really ridiculous. Brand loyalty and cradle to the grave marketing really does work!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,056,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
For personal use, its a lot faster than printing. I can take notes, jot down stuff, etc, much quicker in cursive, but no one can read it except me!

I do the same thing and there have been times I couldn't read my own writing lol. I'm 25 and was taught cursive in elementary school but don't use it unless I'm signing my name or jotting down quick notes at work or school.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:05 PM

37 posts, read 65,475 times
This has turned out to be a funny thread...especially the connection between cursive writing and civilization. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

It's been a while since third grade or whatever it was (early 90s), but from what I understand, they are still teaching it at our district. My handwriting is almost entirely print, but I can break out the cursive with only minor difficulty at first.

I will tell you that when having to scan over waivers and other documents at work for contact information, anyone who writes in cursive makes the task considerably harder, so I've developed a bit of a dislike for the practice. I've hated my handwriting for a while, but all it takes is one "what the hell is that supposed to say? Is that Cyrillic?!" for me to feel a lot better about myself. I have no problem with the standard cursive that was taught in school, but people tend to add their own flavor to it, and if someone has lazy handwriting is just makes the entire thing a mess.

They could do away with it and I wouldn't miss a thing about it. I understand the (tenuous) connection to translating historical documents, but there are better things for students to be spending their time on.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 PM

I remember when I was in middle school (late 80's) and we had to write all our papers in cursive. And neatness COUNTED. Teachers would count off if you forgot to cross a t or dot an i and so on. I mean teacher's back then actually had the time to read what you wrote and check your spelling and grammar and how you formed your letters! All that in addition to grading what you actually wrote. Woah!

Now I have a kid in high school and a kid in middle school. Their assignments are done on the computer and emailed or printed out. We rarely get any sort of critique back other than "please elaborate" or "could be longer". (My boys tend to write the bare minimum = complete opposite of their mom of course!) There's nothing relating to their spelling or grammar mistakes, no red circles around words spelled incorrectly or forgotten periods or three little lines under letters which should have been capitalized. It's always pretty obvious to me that the teachers skimmed it, wrote down a comment, slapped a letter grade on it, and that was it.

I correct my kids work, and of course this bugs the heck out of my kids, but the teachers these days just do not have the time to be as detailed and meticulous as they once did. Teachers are so short on time the notes, letters, and emails sent home to parents are chock-full of spelling errors and poor grammar and words used incorrectly. Teachers are too rushed today.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartrand View Post
They could do away with it and I wouldn't miss a thing about it. I understand the (tenuous) connection to translating historical documents, but there are better things for students to be spending their time on.

And besides: liguistic historians need jobs, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or