U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,241,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
And to me this is so sad, esp the teacher's attitude. BUT as I had said before, this is definitely a generational thing, I do believe. I am glad I will be dead, to be honest, as that is the wave of the future. And this id jsut part of technology that is going to de-humanize us even more.
I'm sorry, but are you serious? You're glad you'll be dead cause future generations of people might not know cursive?

Can someone please explain what is so important about cursive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Unless you have Proff's like I do that are less computer literate than most 6yr olds.

BB is ok, but I prefer hard copies to highlight, and study. I am BIG on multi-tasking, and like to review while, cooking, getting ready for school, before bed, while doing chores, getting the kiddo ready, etc....
Then print it out. That's the beauty. Electronic copies make it easy to convert stuff into print-on-paper or whatever other format you prefer.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
My handwriting is horrible chicken scratch these days but I am always in such a hurry because I have to document on my patient file and now we have an online file we update as well. I can type significantly faster than I can print or cursive. I basically do a combination of both letter types in the same word!!

If children are not taught it in school will they have to adjust what is an acceptable signature for legal documents?? I know in NC my district does NOT teach cursive (at least 2 yrs now). My son started K this week and I guess I will get the pleasure of trying to teach my RIGHT handed child how to sign his name with my LEFT handed chicken scratch!

BTW I don't miss the callus on my left ring finger from having to write everything in school!
My Respiratory Therapy national boards were all computerized and all the major tests I took from probably middle or high school on were SCAN TRON bubbles. My SAT did not have the written portion included in 1989/90
A great point! I can't tell you how many times my optician had to call my eye doctor's office and ask about the special instructions verbally because he couldn't read what they said. On top of that, at my eye doctor's office it was also so hard for them to find patient files, especially ones that went way back (like mine). On the flip side, everything is computerized at my orthodontist's office. You don't even have to wait for the front desk person to check you in. You can check yourself in. It just all seems so much more organized and efficient.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartrand View Post
This has turned out to be a funny thread...especially the connection between cursive writing and civilization. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.
I know, right? I guess all people who are blind, paralyzed, have arthritic hands, have other occupational disorders, etc. are all uncivilized!

Quote:
all it takes is one "what the hell is that supposed to say? Is that Cyrillic?!"
LOL!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
In my career in public accounting, I spent far too much of my time correcting the English of my staff. From basic spelling mistakes to poor grammar and bad style. My wife, who also worked in public accounting, went so far as to buy and distribute "Elements of Style" to her staff. Teachers and parents may be forgiving of errors but clients rarely are. They see it as an example of sloppy and poor quality work.
How is this related to cursive? This post is about grammar and spelling--which is a different topic altogether. I'm all for knowing formal English for formal situations, but that has nothing to do with knowing cursive.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:25 PM

1,213 posts, read 4,244,725 times
Funny, I came online to find out this very thing.

I will read with interest. My 6th grader tells me that they are not teaching cursive writing, instead they are teaching typing in middle school.

I can appreciate teaching typing... but I think you still need to write in cursive... just for jotting quick notes, in lecture... signing your own name.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:46 PM

18,077 posts, read 17,208,003 times
Really, how long does it take to learn to write in cursive? It's not hard but I can see the argument for either way. It will be a handicap if you are trying to read a historical document though.

Also--for the people who add an apostrophe to make a plural, you don't need it. It's wrong and is confusing.

Three girls. No apostrophe. Not three girl's. That means girls is.

Teachers. no apostrophe. Not teacher's. That means teacher is.

The apostrophe can be used to indicate possession, such as the teacher's book but you need the noun like BOOK. That way you have something the teacher owns/possesses.

I tried to make this as simple as possible and I think the people on this tread who never learned grammar or spelling in school are interested in learning or they wouldn't be on this thread, right?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,264,735 times
I wish they had not taught it when I was a kid...I was a great student at everything except penmanship. I suppose I could take notes a little faster if I had ever been good in cursive, but I always found it too difficult and quit using cursive completely once I was out of elementary school. I type much faster than the average person, and I think that is a lot more important to know how to do these days.

Maybe it's because I learned cursive, but I think it would take the average person only slightly longer to read a document written in cursive even if they weren't familiar with it--only a few of the letters look significantly different and it wouldn't be hard to figure those out from how they were used.

A legal signature does not have to be in any particular style of writing. It just has to be some kind of mark made or authorized to be made by the person who is signing.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,760,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Really, how long does it take to learn to write in cursive? It's not hard but I can see the argument for either way. It will be a handicap if you are trying to read a historical document though.

Also--for the people who add an apostrophe to make a plural, you don't need it. It's wrong and is confusing.

Three girls. No apostrophe. Not three girl's. That means girls is.

Teachers. no apostrophe. Not teacher's. That means teacher is.

The apostrophe can be used to indicate possession, such as the teacher's book but you need the noun like BOOK. That way you have something the teacher owns/possesses.

I tried to make this as simple as possible and I think the people on this tread who never learned grammar or spelling in school are interested in learning or they wouldn't be on this thread, right?
You do realize that you may have damaged their self-esteem

Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 PM

18,077 posts, read 17,208,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You do realize that you may have damaged their self-esteem
oh no! Well, if they ever want to get anywhere in this world, they'd better know how to write a sentence. People just laugh when they see all those unnecessary apostrophes. AND IT IS NOT apostrophe's either--there is no need for one!!!!!!!!!!

Typos I can see but this random capitalization of words and random insertion of an apostrophe or a comma anywhere you feel like it doesn't make you look as if you know what you're talking about. --AND IT'S you're=you're means you ARE.

(Now if their feelings are still intact and they paid attention, they should be better off for it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or