U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 PM

467 posts, read 613,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
My children are your age, and at least where I live, what they practiced was nothing like what my generation did. PLUS computers were used in elementary school thus, less time practicing handwriting. And practice does make perfect as in anything! Like I said, when my generation is gone, this debate will be gone as well....and I truly feel much to the detriment of society.
Trust me, cursive won't be the only the reason why society is consequently harmed more than it already is. I'm also not saying cursive was practiced so extensively. It was practiced, but more practice wasn't really needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,754,589 times
My class learned cursive back in third grade ('95 - '96). I remember asking a teacher's aide why it is not taught earlier before I learned it - she said something about childrens' motor skills or hand strength not being well-enough developed for instruction in cursive until that time. I happened to be in special education classes for fine and gross motor skills from around third grade, and cursive was one of the subjects I struggled in - in fact, although I learned to write before starting school, others' penmanship quickly caught up with mine once they learned to print and soon I was one of the most illegible writers in the class, cursive or not. I did overcome my struggle to learn cursive, but continued to write cursive illegibly, even more than when I printed. My classes in 4th and 5th grade required us to write cursive, but I was granted an exemption - and in 5th grade, I even received, from the school district as part of my "individualized education plan", a portable keyboard with a four-line display to do classwork and take notes on. I still remember the painfully slow process involved in transferring the text I wrote from the keyboard (an "Alphasmart", if anybody is familiar with it) to a desktop computer.

After 6th grade, most students reverted to using print for their assignments and notes, and I would wager that most of my class only uses cursive to sign their name. It's really a marginal skill in a world of ubiquitous and inexpensive computers. It does, however, train a student's fine motor skills, dexterity, and hand strength - at least I would think.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 PM

262 posts, read 550,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Why not?
By the time they come to me (10th), their handwriting is set. Some use cursive, some don't, and some (like me) use a mixture of both. Handwriting is something that is taught in lower grades - it's not really something I've ever had to be concerned about.

As far as requiring it... Major essays are typed, and who really cares what kind of handwriting they use for notes or daily work? I'm more interested in what they've written.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 AM

173 posts, read 233,852 times
I'd like to point out that the older people complaining about the younger generation's inability to read/write cursive is largely their fault. They are the ones that dictate policy. They raised us!

I was taught how to write in cursive back in 2nd grade but the only time I use it is when signing my name. Why? I find print to be easier, faster, and more legible than cursive; plus cursive is unnecessary. The ability to read it, however, is not; and not because of the Declaration of Independence as some has mentioned, as it's much easier to find it in print compared to cursive nowadays. It's important for those old letters and such that aren't easily accessible on the internet.

I'll admit that, for the most part, I find cursive to be more aesthetically pleasing but personal taste is completely irrelevant to the debate and shouldn't be used as an argument. Also, if your argument is based around the artistic merit of cursive all I really have to say is that as soon as you force the label of "art" on something, I immediately lose any respect for your ability to understand what art is.

I read the link posted earlier in this thread and all I could find in it were assertions without and citations. Anyone can assert something and while it's nice to believe something that supports your position, it doesn't make it true.

How about this:
The young folks will learn to read and write in cursive when the old folks lean to read and write in binary. 0100010001100101011000010110110000111111

Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 738 times
I was taught in 4th grade and it was tested but no one received an F grade. They were just made to have more homework of Practice. We only had a check mark or a C mark. Check meant Practice C meant your ok.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
It's taught but it's not used throughout the rest of their school years.
And some are dropping it completely because of other curriculum requirements.

Technology has replaced the need to write by hand.
And believe it or not there are some newly graduated teachers that cannot read cursive themselves.

My mail carrier told me that newly hired people at the PO can't read cursive and leave envelopes sitting in a pile for others to read and sort it.

I've stopped addressing my envelopes (what little mail I still use) in cursive and use block print.
But I still use cursive to take notes, write lists, checks, cards, etc.

Like all other forms of past writing it will die off as more and more people don't use it.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:12 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,316,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Just read a post from a teacher (in a different forum) that said she does'nt teach cursive anymore, how wide spread is this?
and on a funny note, when did we start calling it cursive? I remember it called handwriting and printing....

Cursive isn't one of the state standards where I teach, so the majority of teachers do not teach cursive handwriting. However, towards the end of the year when state testing was over with, I did teach my class how to write in cursive. They loved it!

Old 07-14-2014, 01:50 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,633,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
When I was growing up and at elementary school it was called cursive. That would be around 1962. We learned it at around age 7.

Imagine if computers were to disappear all of a sudden

Like for the OP, it was never called "cursive" when I was at elementary school (about 10 yrs after me) - that may have been area-specific.

My kids and my nieces often ask me to write their cards, when they decide to send a handwritten one, because they like my "fancy writing." (Nothing special, I just use my fountain pen).

I don't see much need for it to be taught, touch-typing and financial literacy classes would be much more useful.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 AM

22 posts, read 24,092 times
Its very formal

Old 07-27-2014, 07:39 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,550,354 times
Well, those who aren't learning it might have a hard time when it comes up on the SAT or PSAT. You have to write a portion of it in cursive as an identifier, not that much but enough to know how to write it. That's the only reason I taught my kids to write in cursive. Something to think about.
Cursive now required on the PSAT and SAT - Mankato Homeschooling | Examiner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or