U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,746,918 times

Advertisements

I'm very grateful to live in a school district that still teaches cursive, albeit not the Palmer Method I was taught in the '70s. I have two left-handed children, who are not dyslexic yet routinely flip letters. Cursive prevents confusion over where letters start and which way they are oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM

634 posts, read 987,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
???????????? Can you explain please???
Well in Europe we learn to write (handwrite) at 6... or in some countries at 5 years old. And everything we do at school is handwritten (taking notes, tests ...pretty much anything). Of course if you want to bring your laptop no one's gonna tell you that you can't but the mind memorize better when you write with your own hand and not type.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 AM

973 posts, read 1,486,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm 20 and I learned cursive in like 2nd or 3rd grade and then I didn't use it again until I took the SAT. The only time you have to use it on the SAT is when you sign this pledge saying you have not cheated or anything like that (for some reason you do it in the middle of the exam). When the proctor told us we had to write in cursive the whole room let out a collective groan and a few people asked "Are you serious?"

I don't see the point. My handwriting isn't the best but it's legible especially if I take my time, and everything else is done with computers. My signature resembles a doctor's signature, which some people playfully poke fun at but hey... doctors are pretty respected figures so I don't mind having a John Hancock that resembles their cryptic writings

e: MilkDrinker, Americans certainly learn how to write. There's just a lot more emphasis on print writing (AKA handwriting that looks like these letters you are reading right now) than on cursive.

May I ask why you never did??? I mean what about thank notes, love notes??? Or taking notes????

Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,297,133 times
Quote:
I don't think that they do. Printing is fine as most of my students have done it that way.
But printing is so much slower. When you get 3 hours to hand write 4 essays in an exam, printing is simply not an option.

Same if you are taking notes in a meeting.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,660,441 times
Quote:
May I ask why you never did??? I mean what about thank notes, love notes??? Or taking notes????
For taking notes in class I write in print rather quickly. A female friend of mine jokes about how it looks bad, and frankly it does, but it is legible to me. As for handwritten notes, I use print but I write it very carefully. I admit it doesn't have the flair of a script letter, but I have seen some very impressive print writing. A friend of mine had print handwriting that, even in her quickly-written notes, looked like it could have been a font for a computer.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
But printing is so much slower. When you get 3 hours to hand write 4 essays in an exam, printing is simply not an option.

Same if you are taking notes in a meeting.

That is true, but the poster asked if the SAT only took cursive essays, and they don't. But what is with these 4 essays?? Are you taking about the SAT II that is subject matter based? As for the SAT I, there is only one 25 minute essay.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Well in Europe we learn to write (handwrite) at 6... or in some countries at 5 years old. And everything we do at school is handwritten (taking notes, tests ...pretty much anything). Of course if you want to bring your laptop no one's gonna tell you that you can't but the mind memorize better when you write with your own hand and not type.

Well if you saw HurricaneDC's post, we do teach how to write as soon as they are in school, but that is printing and not cursive. That is/was taught later on. Do they not learn both there in Europe where you are?? I never thought about it much, but when I taught in Serbia, most students printed, but I did have a few who wrote in cursive or a type of it since English was not their native tongue!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
For taking notes in class I write in print rather quickly. A female friend of mine jokes about how it looks bad, and frankly it does, but it is legible to me. As for handwritten notes, I use print but I write it very carefully. I admit it doesn't have the flair of a script letter, but I have seen some very impressive print writing. A friend of mine had print handwriting that, even in her quickly-written notes, looked like it could have been a font for a computer.

Aha...but if you need to do it quickly, why not write in cursive??? But as a side note, it is only recently that I have seen the decline of cursive in females. In all my years of teaching, boys tended to print more and I do think it is due to eye-hand-brain co- ordination!

And I agree that one sees impressive script, the image does tend to stick with us. JUST would like to see more of it.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,603,669 times
I've never had to use cursive since I was taught it in school (late 90's). Thank God because I was totally awful at it since I couldn't see well enough to read print.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,297,133 times
Quote:
That is true, but the poster asked if the SAT only took cursive essays, and they don't. But what is with these 4 essays?? Are you taking about the SAT II that is subject matter based? As for the SAT I, there is only one 25 minute essay.
I went through the British system and almost all non-Maths/science exams were essay based. And Maths/Science gave you problems to solve. They were not multiple choice. If you are having to print then you probably cannot write very much in your 25 mins.

When I went on to do an MBA in my late 30s, we had assignments which were written on a computer and exams which were essay based. You had to pass both components to pass the MBA.

Computers are a wonderful tool in the modern world. But they are also a very slow way of preparing the written word (because you spend your time going back, refining and changing) as well as a very slow way for calculations (my generation can still use a slide rule). In my professional life I used to be able to estimate a job in a fraction of the time it took younger colleagues because I did not feel the need to create a spread sheet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or