U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,646,575 times

Advertisements

Interesting, our most important documents are written in cursive and soon no one will be around to translate them. I guess we can hope wikipedia translated them right. Anyhow, It doesn't really matter if everything is written in print or typed on a computer, people need to be able to read and write cursive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am 25 years old and I can't read it. Why would I ever need to? Learning cursive is about as useful as teaching a fish to ride a bike. It would be fun to see, but it doesn't do anyone any good.
I find that truly shocking. It's not that difficult.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,440,978 times
Quote:
All of those tests are on computers today. No writing is necessary.

Typing needs to be taught in place of cursive...

The SAT and ACT are not.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-24-2011 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: removed sarcastic remark

Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 PM

262 posts, read 550,721 times
I'm in my sixth year as a high school English teacher, and I have ever required that anything be done in cursive.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideteacher View Post
I'm in my sixth year as a high school English teacher, and I have ever required that anything be done in cursive.
I understand that, but it's not difficult to learn, and I'm stunned that someone could make it to adulthood, even today, without being able at the very least to read script.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,738,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideteacher View Post
Why not?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:02 PM

12,454 posts, read 27,069,551 times
Quote:

SAT's and ACT's are not done on computers. Keyboarding is taught in schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times
Quote:

I agree. We teach our kids word processing and keyboarding at home because they are not getting it at school, yet more and more things are being done on computers at school. There just hasn't been enough time in the school day/year to squeeze in keyboarding and word processing. Teaching your kids how to format their documents is also very important. When I volunteer during writing or testing times that seems to be the biggest frustration - kids need so much help simply with the editing and formatting, saving and backing-up of their work. Plus most of them have not been taught proper keyboarding so they slowly pick away with just two fingers which takes forever.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
The SAT and ACT are not. AND you sound SOOOOO proud that you can't read curvise. WAY TO GO!!!!

They started testing computerized versions of the SAT back in 2001 and they are still working on it. They have been doing trial runs for a computerized version of the ACT as well. It's around the corner.

Other college admissions tests are computerized - the GMAT for business school, the GRE for Graduate school programs, the MCAT for med school.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,013,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I find that truly shocking. It's not that difficult.
But why do I need it? It doesn't do anything for me.

mod cut - removed sarcastic comment and orphaned retort The GMATs (which I took most recently) just switched to all computerized tests a few years ago. I assumed everything did. This was my mistake.

I am not 'proud of not reading cursive'. I just don't get why it is important.

Again - what is the point of cursive? Why would we spend valuable time in schools teaching students something that adds nothing to their lives? Let's teach more math instead of cursive so we can actually have a shot of keeping up with the rest of the world with scientific and technological developments.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-24-2011 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or