Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:21 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times

Advertisements

I've always hated it whenever a document required me to "handwrite in cursive, NOT print" some statement. Usually that statement is lines long, not just a few words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 AM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
It would appear from the responses to the thread that cursive is still a part of the elementary curriculum in many parts of the U.S.
I was referring to our district, which is extremely low-income. Our school focuses almost entirely on test preparation.

A later poster included that the SAT requires the test-taker to copy a paragraph in cursive. That is why I began asking my high school students to learn and practice cursive. It keeps them from being excluded from the group of people who know how to write in script. More skills = more power to choose.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,653,285 times
Thanks for all the responses, it appears that there are no standards as to what is taught in school.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:06 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Thanks for all the responses, it appears that there are no standards as to what is taught in school.

There are standards, it is just each state/district have different ones.... which is a WHOLE other topic!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,574 times
In my state they no longer are going to be teaching it.Some students complained why should I have to learn to write a J ,when it is not in my name ? Computers,Computers get rid of em .If the students have to learn on pc/skills do so at home .It is a dying art .There is nothing more than I appreciate than someone who has nice handwriting .I guess when you look like a fool you will know you should have learn how to wite that J.It is about as stupid as that IPAD showing a kid how to write on PC .Hello carpal tunnel at an early age.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:09 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,217 times
:lol: ? The Americans learn to write just in the 3rd grade?
It has to be so sad to not be able to write without a computer.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
:lol: ? The Americans learn to write just in the 3rd grade?
It has to be so sad to not be able to write without a computer.

???????????? Can you explain please???

Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I know a lot of people who don't know cursive. When you take the SAT, you have to copy a paragraph that has to be done in cursive. The proctors instruct those who don't know cursive to just make the letters connect.

Since my son will be taking the SAT's in two year, I've gone out and searched it. I can't find any requirment that the Essay on the SAT's must be in Cursive. Can you point me to the link on the collegeboard website where it say's that? The collegeboard reported that only 15% of the eassy are in Cursive.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Since my son will be taking the SAT's in two year, I've gone out and searched it. I can't find any requirment that the Essay on the SAT's must be in Cursive. Can you point me to the link on the collegeboard website where it say's that? The collegeboard reported that only 15% of the eassy are in Cursive.

I don't think that they do. Printing is fine as most of my students have done it that way.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times
I'm 20 and I learned cursive in like 2nd or 3rd grade and then I didn't use it again until I took the SAT. The only time you have to use it on the SAT is when you sign this pledge saying you have not cheated or anything like that (for some reason you do it in the middle of the exam). When the proctor told us we had to write in cursive the whole room let out a collective groan and a few people asked "Are you serious?"

I don't see the point. My handwriting isn't the best but it's legible especially if I take my time, and everything else is done with computers. My signature resembles a doctor's signature, which some people playfully poke fun at but hey... doctors are pretty respected figures so I don't mind having a John Hancock that resembles their cryptic writings

e: MilkDrinker, Americans certainly learn how to write. There's just a lot more emphasis on print writing (AKA handwriting that looks like these letters you are reading right now) than on cursive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education