U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,592,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why can't teachers get their school supply lists out before school starts? Instead, they hand the kid a supply list on the first day of school, and somehow expect them to gather all supplies, exactly as specified by the next day.

Ok, in elementary school, they have the lists printed and available online and in major stores at least a few weeks prior to school beginning. But for middle and high school, well, they wait until the first day of class, then hand them out. Their excuse, oh, each teacher has individual lists, they don't know until the first day of class what students they will have, etc. Then, those lists come out the day after the sales-tax free weekend, when we could have saved that money.

look, I for one am SICK AND TIRED of hearing how teachers are overworked and underpaid. That's their constant battle cry, oh, poor teachers, working so hard, barely make enough to scrape by. WTH do you think the parents are, the idle rich? Many of us work 1-2 jobs, drag home exhausted, only to have a supply list shoved in our face, her, go buy all this crap, and have it by tomorrow. Oh, of course, you could have saved 8% plus all the sales last weekend, but that's ok, you have plenty of money, not like us poor teachers.

Many of you poor teachers make more than the parents, at least you have a job. I can just see how you would react if demanded to run out and purchase a ton of supplies at the last minute---many parents don't even get home until 6-7 pm, then many have another job to run to. And oh, you sure pinch your pennies, but we have $$$ to throw around. Look, the sales tax free weekend, and sales, just ended, couldn't you have come up with lists to let us take advantage of that? This isn't play money we're spending, many of us are on the ragged edge, those sales are sometimes the only way we can make ends meet.

Of course, the dear teachers say you don't have to get all this at once, you can take a week or two, but then they start assigning projects, etc, that necessitate those supplies. The kids who have the materials get the edge, those that don't are left behind. Then, I'm sure your break room gossip turns to "oh, you can always tell those students that have support at home, they have their supplies, and those that don't"

You just don't see the connection between parents and teacher communication, do you? Of course, you always get sales tax free, just flash your pretty teacher ID card. We have one weekend per year for the same advantage, but then, we don't need it, we're so rich anyways, since we're not teachers.

At the very least, if you're going to throw the supply list at us with one evening to gather it all, don't be so darned picky. Don't demand a certain type of folder, notebook, etc, then berate the kid if they don't have it. Did it ever occur to you there might be a run on them and they are ot available? if you want a certain type of folder, etc, so bad, YOU go buy it with your sales tax free teacher discount, then sell them back to the kids first day of school. Oh, that wouldn't work? You don't have that kind of money to throw around? Well, neither do we----look, its a friggin RECESSION out there, not everyone has tons of money, at least try to work with parents a little, have the supply list ready before the sales-tax free weekend, but guess you were all too "busy"with other stuff, and, after all, our budget is none of your concern!
In my district, teachers make the list at the end of the school year and it is available to parents most of the summer. It is a district policy, and the district that publishes it and sends it to parents. Sounds like the administration of the school needs to get it together. I'm not sure how you can blame teachers - we usually don't even know who is in our class or have access to their contact information until just before the first day of school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,165,107 times
Quote:
Why can't teachers get their school supply lists out before school starts?
Would it matter? Here, the kids don't know what classes they have until-- at best-- orientation, at which time they get the supply lists. Upperclassmen don't get schedules until the first day of school. Teachers generally just want all the supplies to be gathered by the following Monday, which I think is reasonable.

And honestly, by the time your kid is in high school, you should have a good idea of the basics. Single subject spiral notebooks, pens, pencils, a calculator...you know those will be needed. Office Max had prong-folders for 1c and 24c composition books. I bought an assortment of the former (figuring I'd use them eventually) and a dozen of the latter, and walked out having spent less than $5.oo. I have a bunch of leftover red folders now, but they'll get used eventually, and for a penny, even if I have to give them away it's not a big deal. (And no, I won't believe you if you tell me $5 will break the bank, because I've read your other posts over the years.)
I may still have to buy a 3inch binder, or a 5-subject notebook-- and yes, the teacher may well expect a certain shade of puce, in which case I will find a piece of construction paper the right color and tape it to the front and back with packing tape if Target and KMart are sold out-- but the kids've already got the basics and I don't have to spend $40 in one fell swoop.

Take some responsibility for the situation, Marylee. It's a novel experience, but it may grow on you.

Last edited by Aconite; 08-23-2011 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,155,305 times
In my district, the teachers post the lists on their class website (the same one where parents can follow their child's progress in class). They have it up around end of July, or beginning of August.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 AM

11,615 posts, read 19,731,699 times
I find it difficult to believe that secondary school teachers are all that demanding in their school supply needs. My kids are in 12, 10, 7 grade and I just went out and got some notebooks, binders, paper, folders with pockets, pens, pencils and highlighters. You didn't know your kids would need these? Seriously?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 AM

11,615 posts, read 19,731,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In my district, the teachers post the lists on their class website (the same one where parents can follow their child's progress in class). They have it up around end of July, or beginning of August.
In SECONDARY school? Usually elementary schools do this, but it is rare for middle/high school teachers (at least around here).

Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,155,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In SECONDARY school? Usually elementary schools do this, but it is rare for middle/high school teachers (at least around here).
They do post for secondary school as well, but those teachers don't need much. Often math teachers will post the required calculator and software, and science teachers will post lab books, protractors, etc.

The district will post the laptop/tablet/software requirements for the different grades.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 AM

54 posts, read 115,651 times
Quote:
Why can't teachers get their school supply lists out before school starts? Instead, they hand the kid a supply list on the first day of school, and somehow expect them to gather all supplies, exactly as specified by the next day.
My husband and I had to laugh at this one. We just had the exact opposite rant. Our school system sends home the list for elementary school with the final report card at the end of the year, so by June we KNOW the kids are absolutely going to have to have twelve composition books and fifteen rolls of paper towels and five boxes of tissues and umpteen bottles of hand sanitizer in September.

The thing is - when we help the teachers clean out their classrooms on the last day - guess what winds up going in the trash, or the donation box, or home with someone.... a bazillion composition books, cartloads of sanitizer, and enough paper towels to soak up the Atlantic!

I'm at the point where I would rather get a smaller, focused list that I know the teachers spent time on than have some generic list that will require I buy $50 worth of supplies that will be thrown away at the end of the year. Honestly - I was seriously pi$$ed off last year when my daughter came home on the last day with all three "spiral bound index card sets" unopened in the bottom of her backpack. I spent DAYS trying to find those at Target, Office Depot, etc. and they didn't even use them! When I asked the teacher if my daughter had missed some project or instruction for them she said "no, it's just standard on the list and I'm not sure why". argh!!!!!

Last year, one of the teachers didn't start actual instruction until several days into the school year because the class was too busy "organizing supplies"

I think the solution to this (as it is to most problems) is better communication. Teachers send out generic lists early because parents want them early, or send out a focused list the first day, but want the material right away. How about just asking - "do you really need 15 bottles of hand sanitizer from each child or do you want to wait until later in the school year to see if you still need it?" OR "does my child really need to bring ALL of the supplies from this list tomorrow morning, or are there some non-essentials that can wait until next Monday?"

Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 AM

7,894 posts, read 12,155,282 times
Here's our 3rd grade list. I think it's reasonable.

Clipboard (standard size -- approximately 9" x 12")
20 (twenty) #2 pencils
1 (one) pencil pouch or box (standard size that easily fits in a desk)
8 (eight) large glue sticks (non-color)
1 (one) pink Pearl erasers
1 (one) box of 24 crayons
1 (one) box of 24 colored pencils
2 (two) low-odor dry-erase markers (non-toxic)
4 (four) yellow highlighters
3 (three) black "Flair" pens (felt tip markers) no Sharpies or permanent markers
2 (two) composition books
6 (six) sturdy pocket folders
1 (one) 1-1/2" binder (solid color), no trapper keepers
Fiskars scissors, age appropriate
Tissues (1 box of 250 count)
Art smock (old, large shirt)

Old 08-23-2011, 09:50 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,509,074 times
I don't find the requested supplies all that excessive. In elementary school, the lists varied little year to year and were posted on the school website, so in June we tucked away the items the kids already owned for future use. Now that they're older, the kids are still using their original scissors, rulers, safety glasses, pencil boxes/pouches, mechanical pencils, thumb drives, protractors, and locker organizers. My youngest is continuing to use last year's plastic folders, which cleaned up nicely with rubbing alcohol. Last year's colored pencils were ready to go after a quick run through the sharpener. We raided our office supply drawer for consumables like sticky notes, pens, loose-leaf paper, mechanical pencil refills, dry-erase markers, and highlighters. Their backpacks and lunch bags are the same ones they've been using for years. (Love you, LLBean!) Oldest needed two new three-ring binders (last year's versions had split at the seams) and a scientific calculator for algebra. Otherwise, I think we bought two sets of fine-line markers, a couple of glue sticks, a half-dozen or so spiral notebooks, and graph paper. That's it!

As an aside, I do find myself very frustrated when asked to provide Clorox wipes, Ziploc bags, Kleenex, and hand sanitizer, knowing that the school supply room has shelves of the stuff just waiting for somebody to come in and claim it.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-23-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM

15,304 posts, read 16,858,284 times
Quote:

Ok, in elementary school, they have the lists printed and available online and in major stores at least a few weeks prior to school beginning. But for middle and high school, well, they wait until the first day of class, then hand them out. Their excuse, oh, each teacher has individual lists, they don't know until the first day of class what students they will have, etc. Then, those lists come out the day after the sales-tax free weekend, when we could have saved that money.
Marylee:

You must be in the worst school around. We get the supply lists in May for the following year. It's by grade, not by teacher. I don't know about the high school, but this goes from k to 8th grade. In fact, we order the set from the PTA before school is out for the year for the next year.

The lists are also available at Target, Walmart, etc. in early August, though many parents who don't buy from the PTA wait until the tax free weekend to buy. Here that is August 19th to August 21st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or