U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:02 PM

15,309 posts, read 16,874,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

At the very least, if you're going to throw the supply list at us with one evening to gather it all, don't be so darned picky. Don't demand a certain type of folder, notebook, etc, then berate the kid if they don't have it. Did it ever occur to you there might be a run on them and they are ot available? if you want a certain type of folder, etc, so bad, YOU go buy it with your sales tax free teacher discount, then sell them back to the kids first day of school. Oh, that wouldn't work? You don't have that kind of money to throw around? Well, neither do we----look, its a friggin RECESSION out there, not everyone has tons of money, at least try to work with parents a little, have the supply list ready before the sales-tax free weekend, but guess you were all too "busy"with other stuff, and, after all, our budget is none of your concern!
Actually, that would work, except that it is illegal for teachers to sell anything to students in most places. The fear is that teachers would make a *profit* on the items.

Of course, in many of the high schools where I worked or my kids went, there was a school store where those items could be bought.

By high school, the kids could go buy their supplies on their own either at the school store or at the local stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM

15,309 posts, read 16,874,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Believe me, I get your rant. I think that you made some very valid points, and those points should be brought up to the school administrator. In these tough times, teachers should not be so picky. I know that I just moved, across the country. I am living beyond pay check to pay check right now. Things are so tight, my CC cards are completely jacked up. If I had to be buying school supplies right now, we would be at the Dollar store, or getting a free backpack from Salvation Army with stuff.

Teachers do need a reality check of how the rest of the world works...
I don't think teachers have any quarrel with people getting supplies at the dollar store or even Salvation army stores, btw.

Of course, my dd shopped for clothing at resale shops when she was in school. Many parents don't think that is a good idea, but my dd had more style than lots of kids and others followed her styles so she was not bullied. She just had a lot of confidence in herself and her choices.

Another thing to remember - there are charities that give people free school supplies here. I donate to them. One of our charities gives people vouchers for the free school supplies paid for by United Way with a discount from Target.

If you, Marylee, are living paycheck to paycheck, you should look into that kind of assistance.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,473,591 times
I knew all that sounded familiar. Same song second verse...if it happened last year then you knew it would happen this year too.

08-25-2010, 04:02 PM
MaryleeII

2,322 posts, read 1,052,557 times
Our school asked for 25 glue sticks!

Ok, they were on sale, 25 cents each, still, that's $6.25 x 2 kids, so $13.25 just for glue sticks! Well, I did buy them but I'm not sending all at once, parcel them out throughout the year. what are they doing they need 25 glue sticks, anyways?

Also, what really irked me was, in TX we have a sales tax free weekend the weekend before school starts. No sales tax for school supplies, and clothes, shoes, backpacks, etc. So, the school didn't even have a supply list until after school started, after the sales tax free weekend was over

Ok, where we're at, sales tax is ~ 9%. I spent aobut $200 on clothes and generic supplies, I saved $18. I could have saved more. I was really frustrated they sent home involved, detailed lists after the sales tax free weekend. Come on, they knew what they needed before then, why not let us in on the big secret? Teachers are always gripping about how they're so underpaid, well, perhaps they should realize many parents are paid less than they are (and don't get summers off). Then to be hit with a big, long list after the sales, hey, if it were the other way, they'd sure gripe about their poor, limited budget but we parents are somehow supposed to suck it up!

Also, what gets me is, they are so specific about just exactly what type of folder, notebook, etc, the color, number of brads, etc, then get bent out of shape if they don't get 25 of the exact same thing from 25 different students. Well, why don't they just buy it in quantity (can save that way, and get a teacher discount and hit the sales tax free weekend), then just charge the kids whatever, rather than send overworked, underpaid parents on a wild goose chase for just the right folder, etc, when its all picked over. Of course, the kids who's parents manage to get just the right thing to please the teacher get the teacher's approval, while the kid who's parent simply couldn't find the exact right shade of green folder (this happened to my ds last year), is then frowned upon. We all know, kissing the teacher's butt is a part of success in school!

Removed off topic quote

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-23-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,513,337 times
It's hard to be happy when life gets rough. Let's give her a break.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:52 PM

632 posts, read 961,845 times
What I fail to understand is why people follow the school supply list(s) so religiously. Instead of buying red checking pencils for $3.29 why not use the red pencil that comes with your Crayola 24 color pencil pack?

I also fail to understand (unless your teacher dumps everyone's supply into one basket to share), why parents need to purchase certain supplies year after year. Do your kids really go through all those glue sticks, pencils, pens, and color pencils every year?

When I was a kid I would buy supplies like those mentioned every few years and I often used them for several years before having to buy them again.

I will also add that some things on kid's school supply lists these days are just plain ridiculous! Twist-able color pencils, Case-It zip binders for 2nd graders, manila paper, do they REALLY need these things?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM

9,466 posts, read 15,050,065 times
Ok, a lot of you are twisting my post around----look

I DID buy basic school supplies while on sale, etc. yes, I have common sense, I know certain things will be required, like pencils, pens, notebooks, etc.

In elementary grades, lists were posted online and in stores at least 2 weeks prior to school opening, so we could buy from that.

But, starting with middle school, they do NOT post supply lists. Instead, they wait until the first day of school to hand out their lists, then somehow expect everyone to have all those items by the second day. also, that's the day after the sales tax free weekend, and most sales are over.

yes, I can and do buy whatever I can reasonably "guess" they will need,but why do they wait until the first day of school to hand out their "wish list"? They are extremely specific, wanting only certain types of notebooks, certain folders, even certain pens. Ok, look, I do the best I can, but its rather hard to find everything on the wish list in a matter of hours, after the first day of school, before the second day.

I just think schools, teachers, whoever is responsible for those lists should take parents time and money into consideration. Like I said in my first post, my ds was belittled for "not following instructions" when his green folder wasn't the right shade of green, even though I had been to 5 stores looking for that perfect green folder. and yes, that's when I gave the teacher a dollar and told her if she sees that perfect green folder to pick one up, since I had already been to 5 stores. Perhaps if we had a bit more time---don't shove a list under our noses with extremely specific requirements and expect us to produce it in one afternoon, and to #ell with giving us time to price shop.

Its just that I get so sick of hearing that old saw, teachers are so "overworked and underpaid" yet they seem to have no consideration for the time and budget of the parents. Look, they know in advance what they will be requiring for their classrooms, why can't they let us in on the big secret until after the first day? We parents do have other considerations than catering to their whims!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 PM

9,466 posts, read 15,050,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
What I fail to understand is why people follow the school supply list(s) so religiously. Instead of buying red checking pencils for $3.29 why not use the red pencil that comes with your Crayola 24 color pencil pack?

I also fail to understand (unless your teacher dumps everyone's supply into one basket to share), why parents need to purchase certain supplies year after year. Do your kids really go through all those glue sticks, pencils, pens, and color pencils every year?

When I was a kid I would buy supplies like those mentioned every few years and I often used them for several years before having to buy them again.

I will also add that some things on kid's school supply lists these days are just plain ridiculous! Twist-able color pencils, Case-It zip binders for 2nd graders, manila paper, do they REALLY need these things?
One year they had runout of the 24 count crayola, so I sent several packs of the 8 count, they were sent back with a terse note---this is NOT what was specified on the list. Excuse me, dear teacher!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:38 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,513,337 times
Marylee, have you addressed any of this with district administration or other parents in your community? Perhaps they have the same concerns and would be willing to advocate for change with you.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 PM

85,033 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Marylee, have you addressed any of this with district administration or other parents in your community? Perhaps they have the same concerns and would be willing to advocate for change with you.
Great point, fc! One year when my kids were in ele. school, they had to bring in a ream of copy paper as part of their school supplies. Being the rebel I've always been (!), I questioned the sanity of this, as buying one ream at prime retail (even at Wal Mart) and paying tax on it was wasteful, IMO. If the school was that hard up, they could have taken up a collection and bought it in bulk w/o paying tax. I said so in a letter to the principal. The principal thanked me for my interest, and kids were never asked to buy copy paper again.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,991,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Would it matter? Here, the kids don't know what classes they have until-- at best-- orientation, at which time they get the supply lists. Upperclassmen don't get schedules until the first day of school. Teachers generally just want all the supplies to be gathered by the following Monday, which I think is reasonable.

And honestly, by the time your kid is in high school, you should have a good idea of the basics. Single subject spiral notebooks, pens, pencils, a calculator...you know those will be needed. Office Max had prong-folders for 1c and 24c composition books. I bought an assortment of the former (figuring I'd use them eventually) and a dozen of the latter, and walked out having spent less than $5.oo. I have a bunch of leftover red folders now, but they'll get used eventually, and for a penny, even if I have to give them away it's not a big deal. (And no, I won't believe you if you tell me $5 will break the bank, because I've read your other posts over the years.)
I may still have to buy a 3inch binder, or a 5-subject notebook-- and yes, the teacher may well expect a certain shade of puce, in which case I will find a piece of construction paper the right color and tape it to the front and back with packing tape if Target and KMart are sold out-- but the kids've already got the basics and I don't have to spend $40 in one fell swoop.

Take some responsibility for the situation, Marylee. It's a novel experience, but it may grow on you.
Most of my teachers banned spiral notebooks. Then again, we never had supply lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or