U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I knew all that sounded familiar. Same song second verse...if it happened last year then you knew it would happen this year too.

08-25-2010, 04:02 PM
MaryleeII

2,322 posts, read 1,052,557 times
Our school asked for 25 glue sticks!

Ok, they were on sale, 25 cents each, still, that's $6.25 x 2 kids, so $13.25 just for glue sticks! Well, I did buy them but I'm not sending all at once, parcel them out throughout the year. what are they doing they need 25 glue sticks, anyways?

Also, what really irked me was, in TX we have a sales tax free weekend the weekend before school starts. No sales tax for school supplies, and clothes, shoes, backpacks, etc. So, the school didn't even have a supply list until after school started, after the sales tax free weekend was over

Ok, where we're at, sales tax is ~ 9%. I spent aobut $200 on clothes and generic supplies, I saved $18. I could have saved more. I was really frustrated they sent home involved, detailed lists after the sales tax free weekend. Come on, they knew what they needed before then, why not let us in on the big secret? Teachers are always gripping about how they're so underpaid, well, perhaps they should realize many parents are paid less than they are (and don't get summers off). Then to be hit with a big, long list after the sales, hey, if it were the other way, they'd sure gripe about their poor, limited budget but we parents are somehow supposed to suck it up!

Also, what gets me is, they are so specific about just exactly what type of folder, notebook, etc, the color, number of brads, etc, then get bent out of shape if they don't get 25 of the exact same thing from 25 different students. Well, why don't they just buy it in quantity (can save that way, and get a teacher discount and hit the sales tax free weekend), then just charge the kids whatever, rather than send overworked, underpaid parents on a wild goose chase for just the right folder, etc, when its all picked over. Of course, the kids who's parents manage to get just the right thing to please the teacher get the teacher's approval, while the kid who's parent simply couldn't find the exact right shade of green folder (this happened to my ds last year), is then frowned upon. We all know, kissing the teacher's butt is a part of success in school!

Removed off topic quote
So what's your point?

Am I supposed to guess the magic supply list? Hey, I bought what I could, basic things, but you're missing my point entirely----and making it by dragging up my old posts. You're spot on---its the same crap every year, BTW, what do you do, I guess you know in advance exactly every item on that precious list and have it bought way in advance?

My point, which I can't seem to make, either last year or this year is

GET THE SUPPLY LIST TO THE PARENTS BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL or don't be so damned picky if the kid can't find the exact thing you want with less than a day's notice.

Maybe you don;t understand my point? We're handed a supply list the first day of school, and its very specific, they want it all by the next day, and no substitutions----get it? you can't always find the exact item with a few hours notice, understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
So what's your point?

Am I supposed to guess the magic supply list? Hey, I bought what I could, basic things, but you're missing my point entirely----and making it by dragging up my old posts. You're spot on---its the same crap every year, BTW, what do you do, I guess you know in advance exactly every item on that precious list and have it bought way in advance?

GET THE SUPPLY LIST TO THE PARENTS BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL or don't be so damned picky if the kid can't find the exact thing you want with less than a day's notice.

Maybe you don;t understand my point? We're handed a supply list the first day of school, and its very specific, they want it all by the next day, and no substitutions----get it? you can't always find the exact item with a few hours notice, understand?
And in the intervening year, have you done anything to address the issue with the people who can actually do something about your problem? I suggest you start there, because the C-D community really has no power to affect the change you're seeking.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Quote:
Why can't teachers get their school supply lists out before school starts? Instead, they hand the kid a supply list on the first day of school, and somehow expect them to gather all supplies, exactly as specified by the next day.

Ok, in elementary school, they have the lists printed and available online and in major stores at least a few weeks prior to school beginning. But for middle and high school, well, they wait until the first day of class, then hand them out. Their excuse, oh, each teacher has individual lists, they don't know until the first day of class what students they will have, etc. Then, those lists come out the day after the sales-tax free weekend, when we could have saved that money.

look, I for one am SICK AND TIRED of hearing how teachers are overworked and underpaid. That's their constant battle cry, oh, poor teachers, working so hard, barely make enough to scrape by. WTH do you think the parents are, the idle rich? Many of us work 1-2 jobs, drag home exhausted, only to have a supply list shoved in our face, her, go buy all this crap, and have it by tomorrow. Oh, of course, you could have saved 8% plus all the sales last weekend, but that's ok, you have plenty of money, not like us poor teachers.

Many of you poor teachers make more than the parents, at least you have a job. I can just see how you would react if demanded to run out and purchase a ton of supplies at the last minute---many parents don't even get home until 6-7 pm, then many have another job to run to. And oh, you sure pinch your pennies, but we have $$$ to throw around. Look, the sales tax free weekend, and sales, just ended, couldn't you have come up with lists to let us take advantage of that? This isn't play money we're spending, many of us are on the ragged edge, those sales are sometimes the only way we can make ends meet.

Of course, the dear teachers say you don't have to get all this at once, you can take a week or two, but then they start assigning projects, etc, that necessitate those supplies. The kids who have the materials get the edge, those that don't are left behind. Then, I'm sure your break room gossip turns to "oh, you can always tell those students that have support at home, they have their supplies, and those that don't"

You just don't see the connection between parents and teacher communication, do you? Of course, you always get sales tax free, just flash your pretty teacher ID card. We have one weekend per year for the same advantage, but then, we don't need it, we're so rich anyways, since we're not teachers.

At the very least, if you're going to throw the supply list at us with one evening to gather it all, don't be so darned picky. Don't demand a certain type of folder, notebook, etc, then berate the kid if they don't have it. Did it ever occur to you there might be a run on them and they are ot available? if you want a certain type of folder, etc, so bad, YOU go buy it with your sales tax free teacher discount, then sell them back to the kids first day of school. Oh, that wouldn't work? You don't have that kind of money to throw around? Well, neither do we----look, its a friggin RECESSION out there, not everyone has tons of money, at least try to work with parents a little, have the supply list ready before the sales-tax free weekend, but guess you were all too "busy"with other stuff, and, after all, our budget is none of your concern!
That's not all schools. The school I'm at (middle school) had the supply list out way before the first day and online for at least 1 month before school started.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Quote:
So what's your point?

Did you tell that to your child's middle school teacher ?
Because venting here on C-D about YOUR child's middle school won't change anything for you.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,463,911 times
Quote:
So what's your point?

The point was that your post this year mirrors last years posts as if the exact same thing has happened. If that is the case, then you have done nothing to be proactive about it.

If your school does not post lists like almost every other school seems to do.........then....you DO know that you will not get supply lists until the first day of school. You DO know that you will not get to shop on tax free day. You DO know that there may be some specific things asked for.

Did you contact the principal, assistant principal, department heads, teachers, school secretary and so on to request they put out supply lists long before schools started? Did you acquire lists from teachers this past year that would be teaching the courses your children would be taking this year in order to at least try to find 'specific' items? Did you ask other parents or other students what they needed last year for comparison as to what you might need to get this year? Did you do anything to better prepare yourself for supply this year?

I would imagine that no other parents have the same issue you do or there would have been a revolt or a campaign to get it changed.

If you did none of those things, knowing full well from last year's experience what would likely occur this year, then I don't understand why you are on here complaining about it yet again. I don't get why would you stress yourself out like that when you could prevent it. It makes no sense.

To your question as to what I do....I buy basics on clearance or super sales so that I don't spend hundreds of dollars like some people do by waiting until they have a list. I also buy things that I expect will be needed at some point when they are super cheap and if they don't ever get used then I can donate them to others and not worry about the cost.

For the extremely rare item that isn't anticipated, I fully understand that the teachers will NOT freak out if they aren't there by Tuesday nor if it's not the exact thing they listed. Simple as that.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,717,149 times
Our schools (Eugene, Oregon) have had them on their website all summer, sent us home with a paper copy at the end of last school year, AND at most of the stores in town (Target, Staples, Office Depot, etc.) there is a kiosk with printed out versions of each schools and each grade levels school supply list.

WOAH, huh?

My beef isn't not knowing what school supplies they need, but the fees and extra added costs you have to pay this time of year. High Schoolers, for example, have to pay a $60 parking permit fee if they want to park their car in the school's parking area. The parking area is HUGE and there are always empty spaces. I think for $60 they should have like their name painted in a reserved spot for that whole year or something, with valet service! OK, I joke a bit...

Also - Before we can even get our schedules, we have to pay:
$30 for student body card
$55 if we want a yearbook
$10 for a required P.E. T-Shirt
$10 locker fee
$10 planner fee
$20 technology fee
$15 required mandatory testing fee
$65 for a three month bus pass if your student rides the bus to school
$40 if your student is going to graduate that year

Fees, fees, fees. Ugh! An then of course school starts and all you hear about until winter break are fundraisers, fundraisers, fundraisers... sometimes I feel like all I do is hand over money to my kids schools, yet they are still always too broke to give my kid an adequate education. We still always have to supplement at home for the things the school can't seem to squeeze in. Plus, I volunteer my little bootie off, too. I'll be so glad when the kids have graduated and we're done with this broken system.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,493,975 times
When our son was in middle school the lists were online at the beginning of the summer. But by middle school, the lists are really basic.

By high school - no list and frankly, it's as others have pointed out already - just the paper, pens, etc. They don't really dictate anything because by then frankly, a high schooler should know what they need and how to organize themselves.

One thing that someone pointed out and is very important - especially for high school - with all the schedule changes you wouldn't really want to go getting anything specific anyway.

As others have pointed out, you should have voiced your opinions last year when this happened to try and get something to change. It's obviously not a wide spread problem that others are experiencing.

Our son is a Senior this year and I can't think of the last time we really had to shop for anything other than paper, pens and a planner......

Old 08-24-2011, 12:30 PM

831 posts, read 1,306,402 times
I guess I just don't see it as that big of a deal. My daughter is in 7th grade. I get some basis supplies over the summer to get her started. Then when the list comes home we get the rest within the next few days or over that weekend. The kids don't do much the first few days of school anyway.

I can't believe a teacher would demand a whole class go out on one night and get the entire list of supplies. I would send her an e mail and let her know that I would have the supplies for my child by Monday and not give it another thought. Life is too short for you to get so upset all the time over little things.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
I'm pretty sure all my oldest has done for the past three days is review the various syllabi, take a couple of placement tests, and learn her way around. The real work begins next week.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:40 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,481,614 times
I had pretty good luck for most of the years. I would say this year is the only year that I a little in the dark on and its because its his first year of high school. The only thing he needs and I didn't get, is one composition book and that won't be breaking my bank. I would say my biggest pet peeve is which teachers liked the spiral notebooks and which ones hated them. I always end up buying a ton of paper. Only year did I get annoyed was when one teacher requested that we buy a 10 pack of dry eraser markers. I had to hunt down this specific pack. I believe the cost was around 10 dollars and they never got used.

There are no free tax days where I live so I don't get to enjoy that. Also keep in mind that teachers often have to buy their own supplies as well. This includes bulletin board materials to dress up the room. How many employees at offices have to supply their own pens and such? So I don't think teachers are out on a quest to kill parents bank accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or