U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM

570 posts, read 1,105,402 times

Advertisements

My son is 8 years older than my daughter. When he was in elementary & middle schools, I would expend so much effort looking for the exactitems requested (blue plastic folder, two pockets, etc). Ultimately there was always something we couldn't find and we would get so frustrated. It just wasn't worth the aggravation.

Now with my daughter, we make our 'best effort' to gather the items requested, but I refuse to go to every store in town for a specific type/color of folder, etc. I live near all the stores, so we pick two stores - if we don't find them there, then we buy the closest item to the one requested, which I believe is reasonable. And then we move on, and don't give it much worry or thought again.

I understand that teachers are having to make due with fewer supplies, and are trying to be as organized as possible. But it is also true that if a child has to make due with a purple folder, instead of a blue one, the world won't end.

Last edited by daydreamin71; 08-28-2011 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
My son is 8 years older than my daughter. When he was in elementary & middle schools, I would expend so much effort looking for the exactitems requested (blue plastic folder, two pockets, etc). Ultimately there was always something we couldn't find and we would get so frustrated. It just wasn't worth the aggravation.

Now with my daughter, we make our 'best effort' to gather the items requested, but I refuse to go to every store in town for a specific type/color of folder, etc. I live near all the stores, so we pick two stores - if we don't find them there, then we buy the closest item to the one requested, which I believe is reasonable. And then we move on, and don't give it much worry or thought again.

I understand that teachers are having to make due with fewer supplies, and are trying to be as organized as possible. But it is also true that if a child has to make due with a purple folder, instead of a blue one, the world won't end.

Try telling that to the teacher!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 AM

93 posts, read 185,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I think you're missing my point entirely. I'd be more than happy to buy whatever type of folder, notebook, etc, the dear teacher wants, but give us some reasonable time to find it. don't just send home a list today and expect it to appear tomorrow! Like I said, I spent several days trying to track down the right shade and size of green folder, it just didn't exist. the teacher had sent home the supply list the first day of school. I had already bought what I could reasonably guess at, but if a teacher if so specific for a certain item, try to realize we do need some time to chase it down, we're not her supply master.
I didn't miss your point at all. I am fairly certain that you missed mine.

Instead of complaining that you aren't getting the lists soon enough then you have to drive all over just to find things out of stock, become proactive and try to find a way to help everyone. A school bookstore can order the right size and shade of green folder in bulk and then sell them to the students. The teachers would have a rescource and know that an odd item that they wanted was available for everyone that needed it. If an item couldn't be located in sufficient bulk, the teacher would know that before school started and could change the item to something that was available. The school bookstore keeps very little profit, but those profits go into activities for the kids. And no parent has to run all over town tracking down those items.

One of my kids teachers wanted everyone to have a 1" ring binder in blue. It was purchased at the school bookstore for $1. It is the same one that was sold at the big box store down the street for $3. Everybody won. The teacher has everyone in the class with a blue binder, I saved $2 on the binder and didn't have to go to the store to buy it. The booster club makes a small profit and the business class students are applying real life situations in business in running the store.

Junior High and High schools have business classes and booster clubs looking for ways to raise funds. In elementary schools, the PTA/PTO's have supply sales. Perhaps if you sought someone in these organizations and had some ideas to make it easier for everyone to find exact items and the organization to raise funds, this inconveinence could be solved for everyone.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,160,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Try telling that to the teacher!
I think the key is to tell her the world won't end because of a blue folder politely. Here's a hint:
"Dear Mrs. Smith,
We couldn't find a light blue plastic pocket folder with prongs this year. Isabella has chosen a pink one with kittens on it. If this is a problem, please let us know and we can tape light blue construction paper over the kittens.
thanks, and have a lovely first week!
Mrs. Aconite"

Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,360,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
What is a lunch pass? Do the students go to lunch with their teachers?
The lunch pass is for Juniors and Seniors to go off campus to eat lunch. It is just like an ID card but has lunch pass printed on it.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:33 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,171,628 times
1. I had 4 children in school at one point and never had such specific lists. This is hardly a problem for every parent, every year with every teacher.
2. I am a teacher and I do not get my class lists until the first day of school and even then they change for the entire week following. It is not possible to give someone an accurate supply list when that is occurring. Besides can you imagine what bizarre ravings the OP would have if she had bought the wrong thing?
3. I require my students to have 3 exactly things: a lab notebook with a sewn in binding, a blue or black pen for writing in said notebook, and something with which to take their classnotes. I know three things are a ridiculous number of items to expect but since the OP decided to state her thread in such a way that ALL teachers are being attacked....
4. I do not get exempt from any taxes ever.
5. I bought over 30 lab notebooks this year for my students because I know times are tough but since the OP thinks I make too much money as it is I guess the supplies I buy are just my penance as a teacher.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 PM

907 posts, read 1,312,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
1. I had 4 children in school at one point and never had such specific lists. This is hardly a problem for every parent, every year with every teacher.
2. I am a teacher and I do not get my class lists until the first day of school and even then they change for the entire week following. It is not possible to give someone an accurate supply list when that is occurring. Besides can you imagine what bizarre ravings the OP would have if she had bought the wrong thing?
3. I require my students to have 3 exactly things: a lab notebook with a sewn in binding, a blue or black pen for writing in said notebook, and something with which to take their classnotes. I know three things are a ridiculous number of items to expect but since the OP decided to state her thread in such a way that ALL teachers are being attacked....
4. I do not get exempt from any taxes ever.
5. I bought over 30 lab notebooks this year for my students because I know times are tough but since the OP thinks I make too much money as it is I guess the supplies I buy are just my penance as a teacher.

My mother who is a grade school teacher, bought 70 folders, 40 composition books, 200 pencils, 20 boxes of crayons, and 10 boxes of colored pencils. She is NEVER tax exempt....

Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post

My mother who is a grade school teacher, bought 70 folders, 40 composition books, 200 pencils, 20 boxes of crayons, and 10 boxes of colored pencils. She is NEVER tax exempt....
For the teachers who are not tax exempt, you *should* be able to get the school's tax letter and use that to buy supplies for school without paying sales tax. I did that for school and I do it for girl scouts too. As long as you can give your position with the school, you should be able to use their number.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
Damn, I like my District even more after reading through this thread. I have 4 kids in school right now and I have never seen a supply list from the school. Every once in a while a teacher may send home a note saying they are running low on something like paper towels, or pencils, but there is never a "You HAVE to buy it!" message. I asked my 8th graders teacher yesterday at his orientation what he needs for the first day: answer... "lunch money and a backpack would be nice, other than that, nothing... everything else is supplied by the school." That is right down to pencils, pens, and paper. The school even buys each student a student organizer each year so they can keep track of schedules and assignments.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 PM

624 posts, read 1,046,215 times
The state of California was recently sued by the ACLU. The school districts lost. Schools CANNOT charge fees for any sport, any transportation fee, or any ASB card. The schools must provide all uniforms and safety equipment for all sports. The schools cannot make your kid by any special books or computers. It is illegal for them to do so. It has always been illegal for school districts to do so. They just turned their heads and allowed coaches, booster clubs, administrators and teachers to tell the kids and parents to buy equipment, laptops, books, and all kinds of stuff. You need to supply your kid with a notebook, a pencil, and a pen. The school districts have diverted this money they were supposed to spend on athletics and the classroom to pet projects and salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or