U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times

Advertisements

Just went today to pay our fees in exchange for picking up youngest sons schedule for the new year. The school notified us of this date several weeks ago. It was to be today from 12 - 4. So lots of parents showed up at 12. We paid our fees (ours came to $117) and then got in line with the receipt showing we had paid our fees in order to get our schedules. We waited and waited. Finally someone came in and said that they had not printed the schedules yet.

They hadn't printed the schedules yet!

Seriously. The school set the date. They've had weeks to print the schedules.

They said we could wait, that they were printing them right then. But then they had to sort them by last name...

I left. I am going to go back tomorrow and will try to get our sons schedule then. What a pain!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times
Oh - and also the other day I made a spreadsheet showing how much we've spent on school supplies and fees. Just for our middle schooler, the school fees were $117. That does not include school photos and the yearbook which are optional. The school supplies would have come to $95 (I looked on amazon.com to check prices for the cost of the supplies if we would have had to buy them) but fortunately we are able to reuse most of our supplies from last year. We had to buy him a 2G thumb drive, so that and a few other small things were our only real expenses. Seems like most families though still buy brand new supplies every year. The stores are packed right now in our area with back to school shoppers.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
The state of California was recently sued by the ACLU. The school districts lost. Schools CANNOT charge fees for any sport, any transportation fee, or any ASB card. The schools must provide all uniforms and safety equipment for all sports. The schools cannot make your kid by any special books or computers. It is illegal for them to do so. It has always been illegal for school districts to do so. They just turned their heads and allowed coaches, booster clubs, administrators and teachers to tell the kids and parents to buy equipment, laptops, books, and all kinds of stuff. You need to supply your kid with a notebook, a pencil, and a pen. The school districts have diverted this money they were supposed to spend on athletics and the classroom to pet projects and salaries.
Sports programs could just be ended. Let those who want to play do so on club teams.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 AM

4,271 posts, read 4,983,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Sports programs could just be ended. Let those who want to play do so on club teams.
Yeah, that way only great athletes with money can get college scholarships. That's a great idea. Many low income kids can pay for college because they get athletic scholarships. Club or travel teams are very expensive, and many families can't afford to pay for them. Many, many kids who were great at sports in my area couldn't play travel ball due to the inability to pay.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yeah, that way only great athletes with money can get college scholarships. That's a great idea. Many low income kids can pay for college because they get athletic scholarships. Club or travel teams are very expensive, and many families can't afford to pay for them. Many, many kids who were great at sports in my area couldn't play travel ball due to the inability to pay.
If you won't let schools charge fees, then you may have to eliminate programs. They eliminate art, music and theater - sports are no more important than these.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 AM

54 posts, read 115,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Classes started today. First period was math. Fully one-quarter of the students didn't bring PENCILS (or ANY writing utensil).

This, in a nutshell, is why I purchase supplies (for which I'm not reimbursed by the school, and on which I do pay sales tax) and keep them on hand.
not that I'm happy out this, but I do have a suggestion:

Yesterday I learned that a good portion of the supplies my children took in were put in the "share cabinet" - a cabinet in the back of the class that is used for all students, particularly those that come to school without supplies.

I'm not thrilled with the fact that I sent my daughter in with multiple items because that is what the list called for, and most of her extra pencils, glue sticks, crayons, even the second set of safety scissors on the supply list went into the "share cabinet", but at least I know that lack of supplies for some students isn't going to disrupt instruction time.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,160,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
1. I had 4 children in school at one point and never had such specific lists. This is hardly a problem for every parent, every year with every teacher.
2. I am a teacher and I do not get my class lists until the first day of school and even then they change for the entire week following. It is not possible to give someone an accurate supply list when that is occurring. Besides can you imagine what bizarre ravings the OP would have if she had bought the wrong thing?
3. I require my students to have 3 exactly things: a lab notebook with a sewn in binding, a blue or black pen for writing in said notebook, and something with which to take their classnotes. I know three things are a ridiculous number of items to expect but since the OP decided to state her thread in such a way that ALL teachers are being attacked....
4. I do not get exempt from any taxes ever.
5. I bought over 30 lab notebooks this year for my students because I know times are tough but since the OP thinks I make too much money as it is I guess the supplies I buy are just my penance as a teacher.
LKB, that's great that you only ask for three things, and that you never experienced the insanities of looking for a pale blue plastic pocket folder with prongs. It does happen. In some schools it happens a lot.

This might be of use to you:Tax tip: Deducting unreimbursed employee expenses If indeed you are, like so many teachers say, spending a lot of your own money on work-related issues (from continuing ed to student supplies to those oh-so-lovely polos with the school name embroidered on the pocket), you need to be taking the tax credit available.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
For the teachers who are not tax exempt, you *should* be able to get the school's tax letter and use that to buy supplies for school without paying sales tax. I did that for school and I do it for girl scouts too. As long as you can give your position with the school, you should be able to use their number.
And the teachers' discount at a number of places (JoAnn, Barnes and Noble, etc.)

Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
The state of California was recently sued by the ACLU. The school districts lost. Schools CANNOT charge fees for any sport, any transportation fee, or any ASB card. The schools must provide all uniforms and safety equipment for all sports. The schools cannot make your kid by any special books or computers. It is illegal for them to do so. It has always been illegal for school districts to do so. They just turned their heads and allowed coaches, booster clubs, administrators and teachers to tell the kids and parents to buy equipment, laptops, books, and all kinds of stuff. You need to supply your kid with a notebook, a pencil, and a pen. The school districts have diverted this money they were supposed to spend on athletics and the classroom to pet projects and salaries.
Frankly, I think the salaries are probably more of a priority for me than the cheerleaders being able to get their shoes free.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,980,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
LKB, that's great that you only ask for three things, and that you never experienced the insanities of looking for a pale blue plastic pocket folder with prongs. It does happen. In some schools it happens a lot.

This might be of use to you:Tax tip: Deducting unreimbursed employee expenses If indeed you are, like so many teachers say, spending a lot of your own money on work-related issues (from continuing ed to student supplies to those oh-so-lovely polos with the school name embroidered on the pocket), you need to be taking the tax credit available.
Yes, the insanity of detailing what colors the folders need to be is out of hand. Mind you, I play the scavenger hunt game each year, only to have most of the supplies not used. My kids homework folder went back and forth all year last year, not once EVER needing the "prongs" that were specifically requested. I had to go to two different stores to find that folder. Mind you it only cost about 30 cents, but my time, effort, and gas money cost much more. We have one list per grade level, so obviously some teacher puts something on that list that the other ones could care less about. I wish they would just purchase what they needed wholesale and just charge a supply fee. But I'm sure that is somehow prohibited, as I'm already sending in custodial supplies like papertowels and tissues and wipes. I'm waiting till they add toilet paper to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or