U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 AM

10,130 posts, read 9,361,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please lay off the parent-bashing, as well.
No, I'm not. I call the shots as I see it. My hat is off to the parents who do take the time to be involved in their child's education. These parents clearly know who they are. Teachers should not shoulder the blame when some parents can't find time to make at least one parent/teacher conference. My mother, a single divorcee who worked a 40+ hour/week job still found time to be there for all of my school events, parent conferences, homework, etc. Some of the other parents in my high school were absent and what a surprise..their children are now either in prison or are low wage earners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 02:41 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,699,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
No, you didn't THEN get your teaching degree, you got your teaching Certificate. His statement still stands, Education DEGREES are an easy degree to get.
You're correct that I meant "certificate" and mistaken put "degree;"
however, it is not a reflection on "how easy the teaching profession must be" depending on how easy it is or isn't to graduate with the piece of paper.

One is not a teacher until the rest is fulfilled.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:45 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,466,852 times
most of the teachers I have met here lately dont deserve an apple let alone anything else. It seems like many of them just had to ask nicely to obtain and teaching degree and it was given to them.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 PM

85,049 posts, read 98,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, I have already thanked my parents for teaching me the basics of reading and writing before I started kindergarten. Nevertheless, I do thank my teachers from the 1960s that taught me "New Math." Both my parents were clueless on the subject, and it became my career. Without learning Base 2, Base 4, Base 8, Base 10, and Base 16 math, I could never have had a 30+ year career programming computers. However, that was more than 40 years ago, and a great deal has changed since then, and not for the good.

I was fortunate to be in school at a time when science and mathematics were emphasized, as a result of the "Space Race."
Yes, and remember how "new math" was mocked by the "back to basics" people?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,435,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
LOVING my kiddos being in school these past two days!

Was surprised to find a letter in my daughter's backpack with an envelope attached with the words "due Friday" on it.

It was a letter from another teacher (and co-worker) announcing my daughter's teacher's birthday. It would be "VERY helpful" for me to send some cash to school so that this friend/teacher could buy the teacher (from the class) with the birthday a gift card to a nice restaurant to dine with "her husband and children" so that she will "know how much we appreciate her".Tell me I'm not alone...
I'll be glad to do that as soon as I hear what she's buying my family.

A funny story, I worked for Catterpillar once upon a time. We had a great supervisor named Jerry. He was our boss for quite a long time. I enjoyed working with him. When he left, they passed around the hat and I tossed in 10 bucks. He was worth 10 bucks.

Then we had the supervisor that replaced him for a month. When she was moving on, after that month, they passed around the same hat.

And it kept right on passing by me. Heh.

I give enough as it is for school levies here in Seattle. Teachers make good money. Buy your own damn present.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 AM

973 posts, read 1,444,021 times
I am embarrassed that this was even asked. I agree with many that this needs to be brought to the principal's attention.

And Jaggy, I agree with you and glad this is my last year, and hate the fact that my son (third generation) and his wife are teachers. We are going in the direction of all education being online....with no human interaction...no "humanness" in the curriculum... nlo "human" anything. If we think we are in decline now, just wait, and read Fahrenheit 451 as we are almost there, for Bradbury has written that the decline of us came NOT due to burning books, but due to people no longer reading them; in schools sports rule; no art, music, or humanities; history is taught by a tv teacher and just dictated; classes are shorter; large tv screens on every way with inane reality and violent and interactive shows; people "plugged in" with earbuds 24/7. The only things he missed were computers and mobile phones. I feel sorry for my grandchildren.

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 08-27-2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, and remember how "new math" was mocked by the "back to basics" people?

Ummm is this still being taught?? In Illinois, it didn't last that long.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenrySDM View Post
The US has been behind the school dumpster for several decades, smoking cigarettes or something. Meanwhile China and India have been in the library every day, all day, reading the books we used to write.

Yes, of course we've all noticed: we are in dire straits. Yet you propose we change our present course by (in part) defending the status quo? If teachers would quit their bellyachin' then we'd all get through this just fine? Before you try and AM-Radio me, I'm not saying that what our education system needs is more money. Long before money what it needs is a proper valuation. And this would require a change of attitude from those who look down on it (and the people who make it work) with such cynicism and disdain.

How many Chinese parents stay up at night, tossing and turning over etiquette indiscretions committed by overpaid teachers?

But back to the apples. Does anyone else wonder how far the OP's apple has fallen from the OP tree? I'd guess not very. For better or worse, they rarely fall far. Now what are the chances the next generation will somehow have more respect for, or put more value into, or be more obliging of, the teachers and the time they spend with our kids?

Dire straits indeed.
I agree that what was written about was unethical and tacky, but I disagree with what you had written about Chinese parents and teachers. You have to remember that they are under Communism and teachers do not have the discipline problems like here as they do their job. PLUS parents know their child MUST do well to get into the university to get ahead, so they do toss and turn at night, but for different reasons. Chinese (and other Asian countries) get paid well, and above the average (I looked it up). They are revered and often have more of a say in their sudents' lives than their parente. Students stand up in respect at the beginning of the day and that respect carries over all day. NEVER would one of these teachers have to deal with what we have to put up in our American schools.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 AM

7,898 posts, read 12,177,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
Ummm is this still being taught?? In Illinois, it didn't last that long.
New math? Not that I know of. I hear people complain about "this New Math" and in 19 years I have never really known exactly what it is.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:35 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,768,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
New math? Not that I know of. I hear people complain about "this New Math" and in 19 years I have never really known exactly what it is.
Currently, new math is fuzzy math. For example, kids are taught to approximate rather than get exact answers. The ability to approximate will help kids eliminate potential wrong answers on standardized tests.

I have a friend who now home schools her son because the teacher kept marking his answers wrong because he found it easier to just give her the actual answer instead of an approximate answer. He couldn't understand why he was wrong.

My dd could not handle new math, which is often taught using a spiraling technique. The idea is that you gloss over topics with the understanding that you'll come back to them later. This way kids don't develop anxiety about the topics. Problem is, my dd is like me. She can't go on until she uderstands! When I'd talk to her teachers I'd get "We're going to spiral back to it and she'll get it next time..." only she just fell farther and farther behind.... We moved her to a school that used Singapore math and solved all of her math woes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education