U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
First off, for the specific incident you cited, I would be SHOCKED if this wasn't expressly forbidden employee conduct (this is assuming we're talking public school. If it's private, all bets are off--that's a totally different culture.) I find that sort of thing completely inappropriate, especially on the second day of school, and I would notify the principal. Do it anonymously if you like.

For what it's worth, I am at a private school, and contacting parents in that way would absolutely be an offense worthy of termination. You'd be out the door in a heartbeat.

We're actually not even allowed to accept voluntary gifts from students or their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 09:11 AM

15,294 posts, read 16,849,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
Ummm is this still being taught?? In Illinois, it didn't last that long.
Many parts of the new math are still taught, it's just not an entire curriculum anymore.

When your child is being taught about sets and venn diagrams that was originally part of the *new math.*

Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,602,107 times
Quote:
Ummm is this still being taught?? In Illinois, it didn't last that long.
No. "New Math" introduced binary, octal, decimal, and hexadecimal mathematics in grade school for the first time during the 1960s. Today, they are teaching "Everyday Mathematics" which nobody likes, not the teachers, not the parents, and certainly not the students.

See: Everyday Mathematics

Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 AM

144 posts, read 258,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
LOVING my kiddos being in school these past two days!

Was surprised to find a letter in my daughter's backpack with an envelope attached with the words "due Friday" on it.

It was a letter from another teacher (and co-worker) announcing my daughter's teacher's birthday. It would be "VERY helpful" for me to send some cash to school so that this friend/teacher could buy the teacher (from the class) with the birthday a gift card to a nice restaurant to dine with "her husband and children" so that she will "know how much we appreciate her".

WHAT?! I just met her a couple days ago! Isn't Christmas, Valentine's Day, Teacher Appreciation Day and and end of school year gift enough? Apparently not.

There seems to be no end to their tactless begging. A couple years ago one of my daughter's teacher's alerted us to her Amazon page. Last year my other daughter's teacher not only sent out a "wish list" (she wanted a director's chair) highlighting favorite colors, stores, and restaurants, but things she DIDN'T like. "No coffee or hand lotion, please".

I don't know if this is done in other regions of the country--most of my friends have older kids. It DOES seem to get worse every year...

If I weren't worried it would come back to bite my kids (you gotta wonder) I would complain to the District. This has really gotten out of hand. And I hate when these 'room moms' get my kids to nag me for the gifts/cash. "Mommy, don't forget we're buying Mrs. So-and-So a pedicure before she goes on maternity leave! Nathan's mommy said they need the money RIGHT NOW!"

And if you're a teacher who thinks I'm an awful mom, too bad. You get paid, you have awesome health benefits, you have a pension plan, a union that will never fire you, you have ALL summer off, Christmas, Spring break, and most postal holidays off! Quit yer bellyachin'!

Tell me I'm not alone...
I think you should still just send an apple to the teacher and have your duaghter go up to the teacher with it and say, "I have given you the best gift of all, didn't I?"

Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM

7,894 posts, read 12,150,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Currently, new math is fuzzy math. For example, kids are taught to approximate rather than get exact answers. The ability to approximate will help kids eliminate potential wrong answers on standardized tests.

I have a friend who now home schools her son because the teacher kept marking his answers wrong because he found it easier to just give her the actual answer instead of an approximate answer. He couldn't understand why he was wrong.
We teach approximation and estimation as a strategy to obtain the correct answer. It's not a substitute for the exact answer, unless of course the situation doesn't call for an exact answer. For example: I need about 40 burgers for the party.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:23 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,507,010 times
Quote:
...Bradbury has written that the decline of us came NOT due to burning books, but due to people no longer reading them...
God forbid! At this very moment, I am sitting behind a large coffee table piled with 42 books from my family's afternoon trip to our public library, including five Newbury award winners (to get my youngest off to a good start on his class's reading competition), about a dozen or so history books, some adult fiction, a few gardening books, and lots and lots of juvenile fiction and non-fiction. It will last us a couple of weeks at most. I can't imagine a day without reading.

As for the OP, count me in as someone who thinks this situation needs to be addressed with the school administration.

Regarding Everday Math, I have mixed feelings. I appreciate some aspects and find others exasperating. For the record, our elementary has a 98% proficiency rate on the math portion of our state's standardized tests (77% score advanced), a rate exceeded only by our local G/T charter school, so the curriculum can't be all bad.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-27-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 PM

852 posts, read 3,178,132 times
I was relieved when our school started a policy where group gifts to a teacher could not cost more than a certain amount...

BUT, to get around the policy, our class parent asked everyone to buy a themed gift, which all went into a themed basket, and then all the presents were considered individual presents and not subject to the group gift limits

Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,122,403 times
In 30 years of teaching, the BEST gifts I ever got were ones kids had made: my name on a tote bag, a little box carved with an apple into it. They were always nice kids and ones you remembered. A better gift was a room mother who showed up and really helped out on anything I needed. Who needs fancy when from the heart will do? I spent hundreds a year on things for supplies but felt if I wanted it and couldn't somehow get it otherwise, it was my necessity. [So did my husband. And as a gift? he truly treasures a pen and pencil set a kid bought him after working in his uncle's store for months to get the money to buy it.]

Districts have gone berserk with the lists I see know. The only thing I ever worried over was the kid who has had the cheap 8 pk. crayons while everyone else had the 64 (and up box), or the cheap markers which ran dry and the others had expensive ones. Those I would ask for the cheap ones of the good brand -- and supply fancy ones myself. Same with scissors: Bought a class set of Fiskars and etched my name in the blades. Keep a level playing field and you have sanity.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:38 PM

9,458 posts, read 15,030,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Currently, new math is fuzzy math. For example, kids are taught to approximate rather than get exact answers. The ability to approximate will help kids eliminate potential wrong answers on standardized tests.

I have a friend who now home schools her son because the teacher kept marking his answers wrong because he found it easier to just give her the actual answer instead of an approximate answer. He couldn't understand why he was wrong.

My dd could not handle new math, which is often taught using a spiraling technique. The idea is that you gloss over topics with the understanding that you'll come back to them later. This way kids don't develop anxiety about the topics. Problem is, my dd is like me. She can't go on until she uderstands! When I'd talk to her teachers I'd get "We're going to spiral back to it and she'll get it next time..." only she just fell farther and farther behind.... We moved her to a school that used Singapore math and solved all of her math woes.

I HATE the spiral method, its absurd! My ds school used that, seemed they were more concerned about stressing the kids out with new material than teaching it. The spent about 3/4 of the time reviewing the SOS, then would "sneak in" a new concept, barely touch on it, so not to stress them out. Poor little dears!

That and beating phonics to death! They taught my ds to read letters, not words. I finally took hiom out and homeschooled for a year, just to undo all the damage regular schooling did to him. In 4th grade he couldn't read or write at a 1st grade level, and literally couldn't add 1+1. he's back in public shcool ow, but a different district, we moved about a year ago. At least he's on grade-level now.

BTW, I, too, was disgusted by all the requests for teacher gifts. IMO, ALL teacher gifts should be banned, period. its a bribe, plain and simple, those who can afford the expensive gifts do get the better grades for their kids.

Also, OT here, but while on a rant, why not? Those damned Scholastic Books! Warning---you MUST buy your kids at least something each month, the more expensive the better, and at least every other month purchase something from the teacher wish list. I never bought those Scholastic Books, we bought books from other sources, I figured it was just some junk advertising and threw it away. Then, one day I was at school and saw the Scholastic box come in, the teacher made a big deal out of distributing the books to the kids who were, in her words, "lucky enough to have parents who care so much to buy them such nice books" and she really made a big fuss over the teacher gift books. meanwhile, my ds sat there trying to act like he didn't care when he and one other kid were the only ones not to get anything. Look, we're talking about kids 7-8 years old at the time.

From that point on I always got my kids something from the Scholastic order, even thoght I felt they were like Book-of-the-month-club selections, books that couldn't make it off the shelf at major bookstores. Silly me---I thought it was about buying books for my kids, its the impression it makes.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 PM

9,458 posts, read 15,030,133 times
BTW, all that crap drops out when kids go to middle school. The kid simply has too many teachers, no one is his homeroom teacher, they can't reasonably expect a gift from each student. Also, room mothers disappear in middle school, it gets more real.

Lets face it, teaching is a difficult profession, but so are most professions. Name a job that's easy? Many of the parents that teachers despise so much are working much harder than they (the teacher) does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education