U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,527,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My DS dropped his years of magnet programs to attend a very poorly rated, gang riddled, local HS in order to become eligible for certain college programs and scholarship opportunities that were not available to him at the magnet school.
I have heard about parents who do this in our district to increase their kids' chances for acceptance into Ivy League schools. Pretty savvy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 AM

1,058 posts, read 946,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Last year at that high school a group of boys threw a girl down a flight of stairs like a sack of potatoes. Another incident happened where 6 girls beat on one girl while on the school grounds. The last bit of news I heard was that the state is not happy with scores produced at the school as it is under state standards. So this is my point on this particular situation, this boy is going to have a hard time. Its a rough school. As a mother I do worry about this kid even though he is not mine. He seems like a nice kid. That is just how I am, flawed or not.
All you need is Welcome to the Jungle playing when junior walks into school.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:19 PM

13,429 posts, read 42,908,992 times
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I can see why in what you have described. I guess I am just in major mom mode today. I can't help but think about this kid. He is small for his age, white and totally coddled. Now he will be attending a mostly all black high school in the roughest part of town. It pisses me off the parents are concerned about forking over the funds to get the younger ones through private school when they are serving their eldest to the wolves. The younger kids are girls, would not surprise me one bit if somehow they managed to send the girls to a private high school.
It's OK. That which does not kill him will make him stronger.

He'll grow up to be the next Conan the Barbarian.

I'm only half joking - coddling IMHO is the most severe and insidious way to abuse a boy, particularly.

In a way, this was me back in the day. I discovered weight training, running, and martial arts...somewhere back at my high school there is the molted shell of a sissy kid, like a cicada...

Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM

346 posts, read 429,270 times
Quote:
I simply do not understand this reasoning with some parents that choose this path. My son started public high school this year and has been a student within the public school since kindergarten. I did consider private at one point but knew I probably would not be able to afford sending him through completely so I didn't start it. A lot of my husband's co workers have children the same age as our son and their children are starting high school this year as well but this will be their first time attending a public school. What shocked me is many of them sent their children to private catholic schools and now have the attitude that public school is okay for high school. I think this is extremely hard on kids to do this. High school is a stressor already but to start off not knowing one single kid and coming from a somewhat smaller and coddled environment has to be hard. If anything I would think wanting a more coddled environment would be better in the high school years and not elementary! I know private schools are not perfect and have their issues for sure but I just don't understand this reasoning. I think what got me worked up about it (normally I don't concern myself with other people business) is that one co worker lives out in the country and now his son will be attending a high school in the city. The roughest part of town and this particular high school has a pretty bad rap for being rough. This co worker has 3 younger children that are in private and he will be paying for them to finish. Why not put the younger in public schools and pay for private later on so his children do not go to one of the worst high schools in the area?
Well that is just your opinion, in my opinion, it's the early years in education that are critical to a student's success, and by the time they reach high school age, they either care or they don't, they are motivated or they aren't. A child who has been "coddled" at a private school will have the necessary skills to tackle what might seem a stressful situation to other students who were in the public schools and left "un-coddled" or to their own devices.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,715,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Fine, but this is a coworker's kid, not your nephew or Godson, and way outside your circle of concern and influence. Let the parents worry about what is happening with their kids.
Couldn't rep you again, so +1. There are so many legitimate things to be worrying about, why bother worrying about things that neither concern you nor you have power over.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM

32,182 posts, read 39,423,057 times
Some parents send their kids to private school and then switch to public in high school for better class offerings, better facilities for labs and extra-curriculars and those extra-curriculars (not just sports but theater, music, SGA, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or